The 4th Turning - our current events

Smitty-48

Re: The 4th Turning - our current events

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:08 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:This is what my son has to look forward to. I'm not even mad. A chance to fight. A chance to stand. What more could we even ask for? For how long have we stood by and done nothing?
The noble suicide pact of the fascist wannabes? Whatever floats your boat I guess, comic book adolescent power fantasies for the disgruntled Millenials; meh.

Doomsday Prepper Commandos, White Race Freedom Fighters, Anti-Fascist Guerilla Warriors, blah-blah-blah, play pretend, a sanctuary of sorts.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:14 pm

You say it like so. A chance to stand. To fight. A wise man telling his yarns about nothing. Indeed nothing is what you know.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:20 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:You say it like so. A chance to stand. To fight. A wise man telling his yarns about nothing. Indeed nothing is what you know.
I already served in the military, I'll leave the adolescent power fantasies to the wannabes, play pretend soldier as you like, it's no skin off my teeth, knock yourself out. /shrug.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:30 pm

So I'm dismissed then? Very well. Carry on over there somewhere and don't make a mess of yourself if you don't mind.

https://youtu.be/LE1PS26W5y4

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:35 pm

Dismissed from what? You would have to be subject to some authority to be dismissed, but you don't have a central authority to report to, although clearly you crave it, so much so, that you invent one, and then play pretend with your action figures, who knew?
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:44 pm

you would have to be subject to some authority to be dismissed
Preach lol. You're not wrong. You're not wrong at all but if you want to retreat to your villa on the high ground and shoot trespassers on sight well here we are.

Just as well I suppose. The old guard is the same as the new institutionaly at least.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:51 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
you would have to be subject to some authority to be dismissed
Preach lol. You're not wrong. You're not wrong at all but if you want to retreat to your villa on the high ground and shoot trespassers on sight well here we are.

Just as well I suppose. The old guard is the same as the new institutionaly at least.
The only trespassers here, are the rabbits, but I don't bother to shoot them, live and let live I say, the rabbits ain't bothering me. Even my dogs are getting to old to bother with chasing them now, everybody grows up someday, even Labrador Retrievers.
Nec Aspera Terrent

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:53 pm

You don't really have to keep quoting me you know. Everything between us is banter between gentlemen.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:07 pm

Well, persuant to said banter, the nature of postmodern warfare precludes a decisive war of hegemonic succession to fit neatly into the Fourth Turning, if a hegemonic war of succession , there are only two feasible options, one is a multigenerational war amongst the people which persists for an entire cycle of eighty years or more, the other would be a thermonuclear exchange which would stop the cycle dead in its tracks, so the authors of this "theory" seem to suffer from the recency bias of a modern paradigm which no longer exists.

The war of hegemonic succession which lasts only a few years, is decisive, and results in the supposed "High" phase of the theory, is not something which will ever happen again, and in fact, was rather an aberration, the Franco-Prussian War set the wheels in motion in 1870, but that motion was stopped for all time, with the advent of the hydrogen bomb in 1952.

There's going to be another short sharp depression, followed by another short sharp war of hegemonic succession, followed by the "High" phase coming around again? Yeah, ah, no, I don't think so, hydrogen bombs don't play that game.

Either the hegemony dies a slow death, simply becoming irrelevant over time, spanning multiple generations, or it dies an instant death, spanning an afternoon, but if a short sharp shock, there wont be any Greatest Generation to rise from the ashes, because they will all be dead.

I would submit, we're into a much bigger super cycle than a mere eighty years, it's a four hundred year cycle, Peace of Munster to the Fall of the Berlin Wall, we're into uncharted territory now, wherein the cycles of modernity no longer apply, otherwise known as the End of History, Francis Fukuyama.

Two stage fission fusion critical mass + global microprocessor information network = the End of Modernity itself, the Franco-Prussian War might as well be the Peloponnesian War at this juncture, all theories based on modernity break down, in the thermonuclear information age.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:50 am

Smitty-48 wrote:I would submit, we're into a much bigger super cycle than a mere eighty years, it's a four hundred year cycle, Peace of Munster to the Fall of the Berlin Wall, we're into uncharted territory now, wherein the cycles of modernity no longer apply, otherwise known as the End of History, Francis Fukuyama.
Fukuyama admits that he over-embellished a little on the End of History tip, but the basic premise, he still sticks to it, with a few caveats.
*yip*