Let those refuse to sing
Who never knew our God;
But children of the heav’nly King
May speak their joys abroad.

Then let our songs abound,
And ev’ry tear be dry;
We’re marching through Immanuel’s ground
To fairer worlds on high.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Smitty-48

Re: The 4th Turning - our current events

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:40 pm

JohnDonne wrote:I think of all the terrible jobs I've had and the people that spent decades there while I quit after a few months. It is actually depressing me to think about, like staring into the abyss.
I was spared all that by HM Royal Canadian Infantry Corps, which was all just voluntary productive play, high risk bloodsport play at times, but play none the less.

There's no Calvinism in the infantry, nobody volunteers, and make work is a punishment not a prize, basically just having fun and hanging out with your buddies, while trying to avoid the Sergeant Major, Lord of the Flies with guns.

Biggest game of army men you can imagine, 500,000 players, Orange Force v. Blue Force, playing World War Three across the West German countryside, and getting paid to do it, can't beat that.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:50 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:You're gonna lose.

Come, we that love the Lord,
And let our joys be known;
Join in a song with sweet accord,
And thus surround the throne.

Let those refuse to sing
Who never knew our God;

And ev’ry tear be dry;
https://youtu.be/rLy-AwdCOmI

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:53 pm

JohnDonne wrote:

Come, we that love the Lord,
And let our joys be known;
Join in a song with sweet accord,
And thus surround the throne.

Let those refuse to sing
Who never knew our God;

And ev’ry tear be dry;
That's disgusting. Do you find that equitable?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:58 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
JohnDonne wrote:I think of all the terrible jobs I've had and the people that spent decades there while I quit after a few months. It is actually depressing me to think about, like staring into the abyss.
I was spared all that by HM Royal Canadian Infantry Corps, which was all just voluntary productive play, high risk bloodsport play at times, but play none the less.

There's no Calvinism in the infantry, nobody volunteers, and make work is a punishment not a prize, basically just having fun and hanging out with your buddies, while trying to avoid the Sergeant Major, Lord of the Flies with guns.

Biggest game of army men you can imagine, 500,000 players, Orange v. Blue Force, play World War Three across the German countryside, and get paid to do it.
I imagine I would have enjoyed the military life honestly, especially in Master and Commander days.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:59 pm

JohnDonne wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

Biggest game of army men you can imagine, 500,000 players, Orange v. Blue Force, play World War Three across the German countryside, and get paid to do it.
I imagine I would have enjoyed the military life honestly, especially in Master and Commander days.
You would have enjoyed military life in Canada, American troops get the cock, but we were pampered.
Nec Aspera Terrent

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:00 am

Nec Aspera Terrent

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:05 am

Okeefenokee wrote:
JohnDonne wrote:

That's disgusting. Do you find that equitable?
Mmm, more lulzable than anything.

JohnDonne

Post by JohnDonne » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:19 am

Smitty-48 wrote:
JohnDonne wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:

You would have enjoyed military life in Canada, American troops get the cock, but we were pampered.
That'd be sweet, the carousing, the camaraderie, I would have dug it for sure.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:24 am

JohnDonne wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
JohnDonne wrote:
That'd be sweet, the carousing, the camaraderie, I would have dug it for sure.
As soon as I started to read post work theory, I was like, hey, wait a minute, that's what we did, voluntary productive play, that's exactly what it was, so it doesn't seem like an alien concept to me, because been there, done that, I know exactly how it would work.

That's not to say that it would be militarized, but the military in Canada is certainly a bleeding edge voluntary productive play laboratory.

It's like a big sports team, you're only there because you like the challenge, enjoy the camaraderie, and want to have fun instead of getting a "real" job, and it's all sanctioned and paid for by the Crown.
Nec Aspera Terrent