The 4th Turning - our current events

apeman

Re: The 4th Turning - our current events

Post by apeman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:51 pm

ssu wrote:4th Turning is an interesting book and what Howe and Strauss argue is worth thinking about.

Unfortunately now it's the alt-right/Bannon thing, so any intelligent discourse won't happen. I don't think that Howe & Strauss agree with Bannon's idea.
Pretty much, 4th Turning is Hitler-talk now.

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:42 pm

apeman wrote:
ssu wrote:4th Turning is an interesting book and what Howe and Strauss argue is worth thinking about.

Unfortunately now it's the alt-right/Bannon thing, so any intelligent discourse won't happen. I don't think that Howe & Strauss agree with Bannon's idea.
Pretty much, 4th Turning is Hitler-talk now.
How so?
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:46 pm

Oh, I dont believe that.

But since 4th turning is now associated with bannon, discussing it obviously makes you literally hitler.

ssu

Post by ssu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

apeman wrote:Oh, I dont believe that.

But since 4th turning is now associated with bannon, discussing it obviously makes you literally hitler.
It's a general problem: just to mention some issue or idea, not even making a specific argument about it, and people simply assume that you will reurgitate the line that some vocal person or group have made about it. Because some vocal and emotive figure has talked about it, evidently that the only way to see it. So if either side in US politics promotes some issue with one viewpoint, just talking about the issue and you are thought have the same viewpoint, the same solution.

Second thing is that either you have to vouch everything what some writer says, or you have to be totally against the ideas. Perhaps it's too difficult for some to understand that people can agree with some parts of a writers conclusions while disagreeing with another part of it.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:03 pm

ssu wrote:
apeman wrote:Oh, I dont believe that.

It's a general problem: just to mention some issue or idea, not even making a specific argument about it, and people simply assume that you will reurgitate the line that some vocal person or group have made about it. Because some vocal and emotive figure has talked about it, evidently that the only way to see it. So if either side in US politics promotes some issue with one viewpoint, just talking about the issue and you are thought have the same viewpoint, the same solution.

Second thing is that either you have to vouch everything what some writer says, or you have to be totally against the ideas. Perhaps it's too difficult for some to understand that people can agree with some parts of a writers conclusions while disagreeing with another part of it.
Yes!!!^^^^^^^^^It is frustrating to be pre-described completely because of a belief or position.
:evil:
If I believe something, I must be a liberal/conservative/whatever and believes all these other things.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:31 pm

What I like about looking at the S&H model is that it is completely politically neutral. Which frees us up to really talk about past events and potential future events.

Now, we can place on the theory our political biases, hopes and dreams. But only history will tell if those were correct.

For instance, I believe 2008 was a realigning election and the Obama Admin polarized the country by his actions. His vision of the future was full of Social Justice, Environmental Justice, Gender Justice and the US falling in line with Globalists, and that the US had a lot of apologizing to do to the world. Part of the country readily embraced that as the path to the future. Part of the country rejected it.

Honestly with my POV, knowledge and biases tell me that the country has rejected Obama's vision and elected Trump. In terms of S&H, he was elected to lead us through the coming crisis.
However, to do that job, he needs to find a way to join a polarized country.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:18 pm

Prof CJ does a Podcast on the 4th Turning.
Ep. 0140: Thoughts on Cyclical History & Generations
http://profcj.org/ep140/

He does a great job on this. Frankly, I enjoyed the podcast more than I enjoyed the book. He does a great job explaining Strauss and Howes theory and how he sees our current events through the lens of the 4th Turning.

Toward the end of the podcast Prof CJ, in his analysis says, "Were Fucked" :lol:
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:26 pm

C-Mag wrote:Prof CJ does a Podcast on the 4th Turning.
Ep. 0140: Thoughts on Cyclical History & Generations
http://profcj.org/ep140/

He does a great job on this. Frankly, I enjoyed the podcast more than I enjoyed the book. He does a great job explaining Strauss and Howes theory and how he sees our current events through the lens of the 4th Turning.

Toward the end of the podcast Prof CJ, in his analysis says, "Were Fucked" :lol:
I almost listened to this on the drive out today. Then I went with Dune. Maybe on the ride home.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:31 pm

lol

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:19 pm

as i was pulling into the hotel, paul decided to take the woman offered to him as his servant and not his wife.

laughed pretty hard when she started crying, "but i still look young!"
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751