Humans must merge with machines or become irrelevant in AI age

DBTrek

Re: Humans must merge with machines or become irrelevant in AI age

Post by DBTrek » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:50 am

Some Book wrote:If machine brains one day come to surpass human brains in general intelligence, then this new superintelligence could become very powerful. As the fate of the gorillas now depends more on us humans than on the gorillas themselves, so the fate of our species then would come to depend on the actions of the machine superintelligence.
Funny thing about AI - it's not organic, and therefore it does not compete with lifeforms for the same resources.

So, it's actually *not* like gorillas relying on humans for survival - because both gorillas and humans need food, water, and survivable climate. That means the two species are actually in competition with each other on a number of fronts. AI doesn't need your food, water, or livable space.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:17 am

DBTrek wrote:
Some Book wrote:If machine brains one day come to surpass human brains in general intelligence, then this new superintelligence could become very powerful. As the fate of the gorillas now depends more on us humans than on the gorillas themselves, so the fate of our species then would come to depend on the actions of the machine superintelligence.
Funny thing about AI - it's not organic, and therefore it does not compete with lifeforms for the same resources.

So, it's actually *not* like gorillas relying on humans for survival - because both gorillas and humans need food, water, and survivable climate. That means the two species are actually in competition with each other on a number of fronts. AI doesn't need your food, water, or livable space.
Um, it's not so much about AI intentionally killing humans for resources; or humans intentionally killing gorillas for resources. Think about paperclips: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... troying-us

[Just because I'm not a commie fruit squealing for UBI gibs doesn't mean that Bostrom-talk isn't interesting. :wink: ]

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:04 pm

Fife wrote:Um, it's not so much about AI intentionally killing humans for resources; or humans intentionally killing gorillas for resources. Think about paperclips: https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/arti ... troying-us

[Just because I'm not a commie fruit squealing for UBI gibs doesn't mean that Bostrom-talk isn't interesting. :wink: ]
Ok Fife . . . because you're Fife I'm going to read this. But really, man, right off the bat it's screaming hypothetical panic click-bait article. Look at this subtitle:
Artificial intelligence ***might*** treat us like we treat bugs. Then what happens?

C'mon man.
I'm supposed to get hyped up because in hypothetical world, hypothetical situation might be hypothetically disastrous?
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.
But ok, I'll read this shit.
Painful as it may be.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:12 pm

LOL, don't sprain anything.... (and I just skimmed that article, googling up something from Bostrom explaining the gorillas thing; all I got quickly was this Vice article, but this boy seems to get the gist of it -- I'd rather you read the whole Bostrom book Superintelligence tbh)

I'm no true believer myself, just fascinated by Bostrom. Who knows, you might find the seeds for a good story or two in there somewhere.

Like I said somewhere else earlier today, if the nanobots decide to terraform the planet in silicon, UBI as a tool to enslave ourselves and our fellow humans won't amount to much anyway.

This UBI / AI bullshit is even more crank-level than Algore and the polar bears.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:41 pm

Gotta say . . . for a "super-intelligent" AI that can foresee and counteract all human attempts to dissuade or stop it - the thing sure seems single-mindedly focused on making paperclips. Like . . . a layman might even posit such single-minded focus and determination (to the detriment of all else) is directly opposite of what most would consider "super-intelligent".
:shock:

And I know paperclip-making is a placeholder for "AI goals we can't possibly understand" - But again, if it's only able to mindlessly pursue a single goal to the exclusion of all else, it's not that smart.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:53 pm

So, we are supposed to reach the Tech Singularity around 2050 right ?

Sadly I'm going to be a little old to be fighting Skynets Terminators. Maybe my Grandkids can whoop some robot ass.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:19 pm

There's still this paradox we have to address where the "super-intelligence" that can outthink a planet of billions, plus the minds that created it, plus all the other AI's created by those same minds to destroy it - can't manage to break itself from a paperclip creating fetish.

I mean . . . has ol' Stephen Hawking gotten around to explaining how that works yet?

"Fucking unstoppable genius machine can't possibly reorganize its own priorities, and because of this we're facing a paperclippageddon!"

"But wouldn't a super-intelligent AI be able to do something as simple as change its priorities? I mean . . . c'mon, even a cat can change it's mind and those dumb things can't even recognize their reflection in a mirror."

"NO!"

"Ok, I guess we're doomed then"