Free College in San Francisco

Speaker to Animals

Re: Free Collage in San Francisco

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:26 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
apeman wrote:That is your entire comment, without redaction.

I agree arts are valuable, subsidizing arts degrees is not.
The degree is not what you are paying for.

Yeah, it pretty much is.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:29 am

PartyOf5 wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote: I don't have a problem subsidizing the most talented students in fine arts programs or whatever, precisely because they possess talent and will likely contribute culture instead of garbage and Starbucks coffees.
That would called a scholarship.
... which someone like Erik Satie would be unlikely to receive. He still benefited from his time at the Paris Conservatory, and thus we all benefit from France subsidizing the school, even for a pupil that was thought to be lazy and untalented by his instructors.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:30 am

PartyOf5 wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote: I don't have a problem subsidizing the most talented students in fine arts programs or whatever, precisely because they possess talent and will likely contribute culture instead of garbage and Starbucks coffees.
That would called a scholarship.
... which someone like Erik Satie would be unlikely to receive. He still benefited from his time at the Paris Conservatory, and thus we all benefit from France subsidizing the school, even for a pupil that was thought to be lazy and untalented by his instructors.

He was kicked out of the school, dude. Everything he contributed, he contributed without the assistance of any formal education.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:32 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:

Yeah, it pretty much is.
Maybe in something gay, like math. Not in something bad ass, like interpretive dance.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:35 am

What are we paying for then? Unless you have a limited principle of " its just community college."

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:36 am

Yeah, it pretty much is.
Maybe in something gay, like math. Not in something bad ass, like interpretive dance.
Yeah, bullshit. I called it in my post.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:37 am

Yeah, it pretty much is.

So you decided that all the forum members should have to pay for some kid's interpretive dance degree?

This is why we have a president Trump.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:37 am

PartyOf5 wrote: That would called a scholarship.

He was kicked out of the school, dude. Everything he contributed, he contributed without the assistance of any formal education.
That is simply untrue.

Being at the Conservatory put him in the sphere of people like Debussy, who promoted him early on. And who knows what tricks he picked up from the instructions he actually received.

Satie is the damn poster child for giving the talentless weirdos art classes.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:40 am

That is simply untrue.

Being at the Conservatory put him in the sphere of people like Debussy, who promoted him early on. And who knows what tricks he picked up from the instructions he actually received.

Satie is the damn poster child for giving the talentless weirdos art classes.

No, it's absolutely true.
In 1879, Satie entered the Paris Conservatoire, where he was soon labelled untalented by his teachers. Georges Mathias, his professor of piano at the Conservatoire, described his pupil's piano technique in flatly negative terms, "insignificant and laborious" and "worthless".[4] Émile Decombes called him "the laziest student in the Conservatoire".[5] Years later, Satie related that Mathias, with great insistence, told him that his real talent lay in composing. After being sent home for two and a half years, he was readmitted to the Conservatoire at the end of 1885 (age 19), but was unable to make a much more favourable impression on his teachers than he had before, and, as a result, resolved to take up military service a year later.

That pretty well sums up the value of art school, in my opinion.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:43 am

Yeah, it pretty much is.

So you decided that all the forum members should have to pay for some kid's interpretive dance degree?

This is why we have a president Trump.
That was just a little levity. Notice the (I thought) obvious ironic juxtaposition of calling math gaya and dance bad ass... christ, now I have to explain jokes to you goobers as well.
HAIL!

-Hwen