Free College in San Francisco

apeman

Re: Free Collage in San Francisco

Post by apeman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:38 am

Does anyone contend that you cannot learn art and non-technical subjects really well without paying a college?

I'll re-iterate that the quality of teaching you get a college X is likely not a good as the quality obtained when you use the internet to seek out the very best and most talented teachers. My first finance class was with Robert Shiller, for free, syllabus posted for free with hyperlinks to free readings, I could watch in video format if I wanted to see calculations, I could listen to the podcast version when on the go. And this is technical, so its harder, I don't expect most proles to do take a free finance course.

Currently taking some of Jordan Petersen's classes (the maps of meaning), completely non-technical, he is excellent. Better than Professor Whatever at College X. Already mentioned the fantastically high quality guitar lessons I've found. Last night, the wife was using youtube and google to learn more about watercolor painting.

Amazing we are able to do this and explore these wonderful subjects without paying a school farrrrrr out the ass.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:45 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
The thing is.. you guys always seem to pin "society's valuing" somebody with how much money people give them. In that context, society doesn't value about 99% of artists because they lack extraordinary talent and they don't contribute anything in economic demand.

That doesn't mean I devalue them as human beings. It's not my fault they pursued an art degree instead of a trade, though.
Anyone who pursues the arts because they want to be rich and famous is a moron.

That being said, even extraordinary talent is no guarantee of success.

You like Satie. That guy lived on the kindness of his friends, and a few patrons (that he frequently failed to produce for). One of the few times he actually sold a piece, he spent almost all the money on buying a bunch of identical grey suits... some of which he didn't even have a chance to use before he died.

I like a society that makes room for eccentric fucking losers.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:50 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:I like a society that makes room for eccentric fucking losers.
:think:

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:50 am

apeman wrote:Does anyone contend that you cannot learn art and non-technical subjects really well without paying a college?
It is probably harder to learn an instrument from a book than it is to learn almost anything else.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:52 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
apeman wrote:Does anyone contend that you cannot learn art and non-technical subjects really well without paying a college?
It is probably harder to learn an instrument from a book than it is to learn almost anything else.
Watch a video.

On second thought, you might need college.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:55 am

apeman wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:
Watch a video.

On second thought, you might need college.
Collage might be more effective.

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:56 am

I can get cheap in-person lessons from several folks in this town.

But it doesn't come with a degree, so what's the point, amirite?

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 am

apeman wrote:I can get cheap in-person lessons from several folks in this town.

But it doesn't come with a degree, so what's the point, amirite?
The degree is worthless. The networking, and opportunity to play with talented people is priceless.

Also, we are talking about what should be offered at a community college with subsidized courses. I think it is just as valuable to subsidize the arts as it is to subsidize STEM.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:02 am

PartyOf5 wrote:
Okeefenokee wrote:<rest snipped>

Stop trying to fuck this up. This is the way it should be.
You sound like a union guy. It's already fucked up. Manufacturing companies are sending work to other countries in part because there aren't enough skilled workers to make their stuff. Over time, more jobs go away and more skilled workers look to find other jobs. At some point it may be yours that either goes away or gets taken over by someone else who lost theirs before.

As for the "services" trades, I basically have a 50/50 chance of getting the job done right. I had a concreted driveway done a few years back. Company sent out the B team and they didn't do things properly. They had to bring the A team back to re-do a bunch of stuff. I guess you're happy the b team makes good money. I'd rather have more competition out there so I can count on a B team to do the job right. In other cases the places I call are booked out so far they either tell me they can't take the work or they don't even bother calling back.

You my want to hold customers hostage by being able to charge more for services, but I want less of my tax money paying for unemployment and welfare. Boo Hoo if that means you have some competition for your job.
Half of my post was tongue in cheek, but only half.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:03 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:The degree is worthless. The networking, and opportunity to play with talented people is priceless.

Also, we are talking about what should be offered at a community college with subsidized courses. I think it is just as valuable to subsidize the arts as it is to subsidize STEM.
:think: