Free College in San Francisco

Okeefenokee

Re: Free Collage in San Francisco

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:39 am

Fucking figures San Francisco would come up with a free collage business model. I hear they can their own farts, and use them as currency.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:52 am

California wrote:
Dand wrote:I think that if you can afford to live in SF then you already could have afforded community college in virtually any other town or city across the country.
Not really, because all of your money is going to housing
It's really difficult to compare costs, spending, and income between most of the US and Cali. Cali lives in an economy of it's own, and it's not even close to what most of the US runs on.

Housing prices are insanely high there. To help balance that out, incomes are generally insanely high as well. Basic economic rules still apply there, although some can be skewed by the fact that they are still part of larger economies (US and global). One rule that applies throughout is that nothing it "free". Free college (not collage, Penner) will be paid for by way of taxes and fees. Californians sure do love their taxes and fees.

One question for those paying for this (because it's not free, it;s just that the students aren't paying for it) should be asking is how well is my money being spent. If everyone takes classes that will not lead to paying jobs, then what is the benefit? Simply saying education is wonderful does not validate spending a bunch of money on things Californian professors will label education.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:55 am

I don't have a problem with publicly funded college as long as the admission requirements are competitive and the degrees funded are what we actually need as a society.

Certainly we should fund absolutely no liberal arts degrees and absolutely no marxist indoctrination like feminism studies, etc.

I would prefer to fund college from the national level, coupled with a progressive shutdown of immigration. We already have too few jobs in America, and if businesses really need more engineers, we can train them here.

What I don't agree with is the idea that everybody has a right to publicly funded college. That's absurd. Most people don't belong in college to begin with. That's why we see a proliferation of fake academic programs like women's studies. These people don't belong in academia.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:43 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I don't have a problem with publicly funded college as long as the admission requirements are competitive and the degrees funded are what we actually need as a society.

Certainly we should fund absolutely no liberal arts degrees and absolutely no marxist indoctrination like feminism studies, etc.
In the culture thread you argue for "taking it back". Now, all of a sudden, you're arguing: "Let them have it all!" ? :think:

So, society needs only learn natural science, and how to produce physical products meant for sale? Society does not need to reflect upon the past, the present or the future, how society works? It does not "need" reflections on ethics, on philosophy, does not need reflection on the law? You don't need historians, lawyers, sociologists, economics, etc.? You only "need" to make things, sell things, produce things and everything besides that is "useless"? That's like declaring faith useless because you can't eat it or use it to hammer a nail into the wall..

There are no doubt many studies that should not be funded, but giving preference to only materialistic studies like natural science is, is the sort of thinking that creates an actual Communist society. The idea that a man is only that which he owns, can own, might own and/or should own. That mankinds aspirations is limited exclusively to materialistic concerns. That is the true dehumanizing foundation inherent in Marx' ideas. A healthy, civilized society needs more than engineers, scientists and doctors. It needs to be able to reflect upon itself. Freely. No matter in which way.

Look, I get that that your Humanities, Social Sciences... maybe all public education for that matter, is corrupted by stupid pseudo-science people, StA. But thinking that you "fix" universities by shutting down all the liberal arts, humanities, social science because SJW or neo-Marxist thought has infiltrated some of them is throwing the kid out with the bathwater. It is like thinking that you're "fixing" your economic problems by handing over half of your house to your annoying neighbour. Yes, it may sound like an absurd comparison, but that's because the solution is equally absurd. Yes, absolutely defund studies that are solely activistic, like that Critical Race theory nonsense. Let other, more critical, same-field professors determine which other fields should get cut.

You sadly assume that because SJW's currently control some areas of your Humanities and Social Science departments around the US, that means that they now "own" for example history or sociology as a field, that history or sociology as an academic field is now SJW... universally.

They don't own that shit anymore than evil cisgender white men "own" it, StA. That's what they want people to think, obviously, that their way of interpreting the world is the "dominant" one, that their way of interpreting history, society, etc. is the "academic" one and so you must replace older theories in the various fields of social science or humanities, with theirs.
You yourself posted a video of a psychology professor yourself the other day. Should his field of research, his lectures go unfunded because some SJW's try to take over the universities and replace whatever he teaches with their "everything is relative" nonsense? Presumebly, the reason he's so angry in the videos of him, is because his field wasn't always dominated by political activists demanding people speak a certain way.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:47 am

What the fuck? Are you retarded or something?

We need x amount of software engineers because our corporations go to Congress every year and argue we need to import x number of software engineers from outside the country because they claim they can't fill those jobs.

So I don't have a problem coupling ramping down the H1B visa system in conjunction with paying the tuition of the best students to complete computer science degrees.

It's not complicated.

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:00 am

BjornP wrote:A healthy, civilized society needs more than engineers, scientists and doctors. It needs to be able to reflect upon itself. Freely. No matter in which way.
Arts and non-technical education is a valuable piece of a society. The problem we're seeing in the US is that too many kids are going into college for degrees in things that do not have many jobs, but they come out of college with a degree and feel that they are automatically owed a high paying job of their choice because of it.

I disagree with STA that there are not enough jobs. There are shortages in jobs like welding, but schools aren't directing kids down those paths. What we have right now are too many kids with degrees that are not needed by our economy. But they feel entitled (I think that is a fitting word) to something the economy/society has determined is not needed. I don't mean that arts aren't need at all, but we don't need as many of them as are getting degrees. The result are events like OWS and BLM where all these unemployed or under employed people with grievances against the rest of society get together and tantrum because they don't want the hard, thankless jobs that are necessary to a society.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:08 am

I don't have a problem with people going into the arts, but I don't think we should pay for it collectively unless the student exhibits extraordinary talent.

Let's be honest here. Most people in the arts are talentless and headed nowhere, and most of the greatest artists and writers didn't get degrees in fine arts . Van Goph didn't go to art school. Erik Satie dropped out of school. Apparently people like Bjorn think we should spend over a hundred grand so somebody can get a liberal arts degree and then go work at Starbucks. I think that's fucking dumb, personally, but whatever.

Most people don't belong in college. We need to be honest about that. I don't oppose subsidizing the education of our best students in degrees that actually contribute some value to our society, but that's like maybe 20% of the youth (at the very most). What I sure as shit do NOT want to do is pay for millions more youth to get indoctrinated in marxist ideology programs like feminism and racial studies.

We should not subsidize revolution.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:29 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I don't have a problem with people going into the arts, but I don't think we should pay for it collectively unless the student exhibits extraordinary talent.

Let's be honest here. Most people in the arts are talentless and headed nowhere, and most of the greatest artists and writers didn't get degrees in fine arts . Van Goph didn't go to art school. Erik Satie dropped out of school. Apparently people like Bjorn think we should spend over a hundred grand so somebody can get a liberal arts degree and then go work at Starbucks. I think that's fucking dumb, personally, but whatever.

Most people don't belong in college. We need to be honest about that. I don't oppose subsidizing the education of our best students in degrees that actually contribute some value to our society, but that's like maybe 20% of the youth (at the very most). What I sure as shit do NOT want to do is pay for millions more youth to get indoctrinated in marxist ideology programs like feminism and racial studies.

We should not subsidize revolution.
You don't need to worry about that, what you need to worry about are those that go to school for the rest of their lives because it's free...
#NotOneRedCent

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:38 am

Hol' up. Do you have to live in SF to get free education? Cause if not, I'm about to get a doctorate, boiz.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:40 am

In other news, Minitrue reports that STEM PhD candidate production is exceeding all projections contained in the last Five Year Plan.

PS: Command education leads directly to chains.