Where's an Environmentalist when you need one

Speaker to Animals

Re: Where's an Environmentalist when you need one

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:20 pm

It absolutely has everything to do with it. The West could not have been developed without massive government and corporate subsidies and planning. It's still the case to this day. Western regions require extensive water and environmental management to remain useful. It requires massive expenditures into irrigation and other forms of what amounts to terraforming.

The West was built by the federal government and corporations. Cities like Cheyenne were corporate towns founded by railroad companies and paid for by federal tax dollars.

To this day, you wouldn't be able to maintain those states without federal spending. The locals couldn't afford to maintain the interstate system that connects them to the world on their own. They wouldn't be able to afford the water management and other infrastructures they depend upon.

This is why there exists that really weird sense of love-hate relationship between westerners and the government. They hate the government and their dependency upon it, but they do depend upon it and I guarantee they would lose their shit if the federal government stop subsidizing the west.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:28 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:It absolutely has everything to do with it. The West could not have been developed without massive government and corporate subsidies and planning. It's still the case to this day. Western regions require extensive water and environmental management to remain useful. It requires massive expenditures into irrigation and other forms of what amounts to terraforming.

The West was built by the federal government and corporations. Cities like Cheyenne were corporate towns founded by railroad companies and paid for by federal tax dollars.

To this day, you wouldn't be able to maintain those states without federal spending. The locals couldn't afford to maintain the interstate system that connects them to the world on their own. They wouldn't be able to afford the water management and other infrastructures they depend upon.

This is why there exists that really weird sense of love-hate relationship between westerners and the government. They hate the government and their dependency upon it, but they do depend upon it and I guarantee they would lose their shit if the federal government stop subsidizing the west.

NO, it was impossible to develop their vision of the west without the government doing it. But even your infrastructure is a fallacy. The National power grid is federally funded as is our interstate system and it goes on.

Fact is everyone is happy to tell the 'flyover' states how they should run things and happy to set aside massive tracts of land in these states for a number of reasons, but they are unwilling to do the same thing in their backyard east of the Mississippi. Citizens in Western states more so than eastern states have 2 masters. Their state governments and the federal governments. Easterns love the idea of wilderness and saving species, as long as it's sparsely populated Western states with less of voice having their local economies contorting by federal policy.

OK, so Manhattan, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard are on my list of Restoration and Wilderness. I'm adding Appalachia.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:05 am

Appalachia needs some cleaning up.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:43 am

Manhattan Island is tiny, C--though it is a Yuge port--we need places like that--but the truth is that they cannot feed themselves; they depend upon cheap potatoes, beef, and bread. They'd get by without California rolls and almond milk, but they have to have cheeseburgers and hot dogs, otherwise there'd be no SNL for penner to watch--and that woman demands a circus!
If I were president (among other things), I'd cut back on spending simply by turning over federal lands to the states. I'd do all I could to return more power to the states. Let them determine what's best for them--who's a better authority?
So shut the fuck up about Manhattan, Long Island, and The Adirondacks, C--act local, forget global.
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:20 am

Or we can rewild New York and California.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:03 am

Alexander PhiAlipson wrote:Manhattan Island is tiny, C--though it is a Yuge port--we need places like that--but the truth is that they cannot feed themselves; they depend upon cheap potatoes, beef, and bread. They'd get by without California rolls and almond milk, but they have to have cheeseburgers and hot dogs, otherwise there'd be no SNL for penner to watch--and that woman demands a circus!
If I were president (among other things), I'd cut back on spending simply by turning over federal lands to the states. I'd do all I could to return more power to the states. Let them determine what's best for them--who's a better authority?
So shut the fuck up about Manhattan, Long Island, and The Adirondacks, C--act local, forget global.

Whoa there hoss!
Western States have all these people telling us we need to think globally, and we need to accept Coastal Elites telling us what to do and what will be Wilderness. None of the those Coastal Elites shut up when it comes to my local areas.
PLATA O PLOMO

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:05 am

I think we need to start thinking about the environment and climate change and all that. Put Earth first. Rewild New York and California for the greater good.

I am willing to sacrifice California and New York because I actually give a shit.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:50 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I think we need to start thinking about the environment and climate change and all that. Put Earth first. Rewild New York and California for the greater good.

I am willing to sacrifice California and New York because I actually give a shit.
They are major pollution collection and dispersion locations.

We also need a migration corridor for reintroduced species from Hudson Bay to Key West and the Gulf.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:43 am

Good News folks.

Food Deregulation is spreading. Greenies should put their full political force behind this, but their not alone. This is an issue that Lefty Greenies, Libertarians and the Patriot Crowd can all agree. Rocky Mountain States are leading the way, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and next up California.
Not surprisingly, all this talk of deregulating local food sales has some people nervous. State and local health officials in Montana, for example, have spoken out against the state bill, claiming it could lead to a rise in cases of foodborne illness.

"Every state that looks at setting their local food economy free inevitably finds food police lining up with statistics on how freedom of choice is a danger," said Wyoming State Rep. Lindholm (R), who sponsored the Food Freedom Act in his state, in an email to me this week. "These individuals, bureaucrats, and industry associations all espouse their merits as to being defenders of ignorant consumers that cannot be trusted to make their own decisions as to what is best for their family."

I asked Lindholm if there's been any uptick in foodborne illnesses in Wyoming since the law's passage.

"Wyoming has seen the exact opposite that these do gooders predict," Lindholm tells me. "Wyoming[']s local food options have exploded and we still have had 0 foodborne illness outbreaks due to this Act passing into law."

https://reason.com/archives/2017/02/18/ ... -a-winning

For those of you wanting to take a chunk out of Big Ag, this is a good start.
PLATA O PLOMO

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:31 am

Environmental activist Leonard DeCaprio flies a gal 7,500 miles to do his eyebrows for the Oscars. I don't know if DeCaprio is gay or not, but this is a really gay move on a several levels.
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 01731.html

In this 2014 news puff piece a weepy eyed reporter engages him and Leonard says the environmental situation is 'Dire'.

then Leonard went on to speak at the UN with all kinds of strong words about how serious pollution is as a threat to the planet.

Will greenies take on these elitist polluters or will they just allow him to put on a fund raiser and call it good ?

UN speech
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-FM845giaI
PLATA O PLOMO