Trump's 1st Big Chance on Free Speech & the IRC

Speaker to Animals

Re: Trump's 1st Big Chance on Free Speech & the IRC

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:53 pm

California wrote:In accounting, gross profit, gross margin, sales profit, or credit sales is the difference between revenue and the cost of making a product or providing a service, before deducting overheads, payroll, taxation, and interest payments. This is different from operating profit (earnings before interest and taxes). Gross margin is the term normally used in the U.S.,[1] while gross profit is the more common usage in the UK and Australia.

Many, many churches have gross profit according to that definition; if you think that every single church spends every single penny they collect on providing their services you're wearing blinders.

Granted, I probably agree with you that the vaunted $71 billion to be earned from taxing churches is probably bullshit since they'd just write everything off as an expense; my point is more about what I think should be a distinction between human persons and organizational "persons" and their attendant rights and privileges.

You don't understand what profit means, then.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:18 pm

Fife wrote:Who among us can present a cogent argument for any kind of income tax?
A kid at school said the reason income tax is taken out of your check before you're paid is so you don't notice it's gone. If you'd heard him say it, you'd realize he was repeating what a teacher had told him, and he was presenting this information along the lines of, "Isn't it great that the government has figured out how to take your money without you noticing?"

After staring at his face for a minute, I said, "The founding fathers would have you shot if you suggested that to them."

His smile drained into a puzzled look, and he walked away.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:27 pm

Fife wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:So we should tax all other non-for-profits too?

The way the law is applied is obviously discriminatory and unconstitutional. Your freedom of speech ought not depend upon your tax status, and even if it does, it should apply to all not-for-profits.

But like I have said for years to you guys: go ahead and tax churches. You will get everything you deserve in the wake of that move. Nothing will hold us back then.
From what, inciting moral legislation, and provoking religious wars?

I'd laugh so fucking hard if the IRS got hold of "non-profit" church accounting ledgers. :lol:
Fetishism for the brownshirts is alive and well in 2017, we see. And still just as fucking perverted.
Not to mention also profoundily stupid. Being a church or non profit makes all your accounting subject to more government and public scrutiny not less. What kind of stupid dumbassery is this?

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:34 pm

The NFL was a non-profit until recently, do you think there was no gross profit there? How about PETA?
The NFL did that so as not to disclose salary information for employees during CBA negotiations not because they had to.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:44 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
California wrote:In accounting, gross profit, gross margin, sales profit, or credit sales is the difference between revenue and the cost of making a product or providing a service, before deducting overheads, payroll, taxation, and interest payments. This is different from operating profit (earnings before interest and taxes). Gross margin is the term normally used in the U.S.,[1] while gross profit is the more common usage in the UK and Australia.

Many, many churches have gross profit according to that definition; if you think that every single church spends every single penny they collect on providing their services you're wearing blinders.

Granted, I probably agree with you that the vaunted $71 billion to be earned from taxing churches is probably bullshit since they'd just write everything off as an expense; my point is more about what I think should be a distinction between human persons and organizational "persons" and their attendant rights and privileges.

You don't understand what profit means, then.

Enlighten us.

SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:45 pm

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:48 pm

Class is more interesting than I expected.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:54 pm

I actually had to learn political economics and marxism. The professor was a marxist and spent half the macroeconomics class teaching the required material, and the other half teaching political economics, marxism, and communism. We had photocopied textbooks from Cuba.

The one good thing that we came away with is a good foundation in most of the schools of thought. Political economics (marxism) have a few interesting perspectives in there too. It might be bullshit, but they sell it to people with some good heuristics surrounded by the bullshit. One of them was the idea that, when examining any economic system (including historical systems), you should cut through the crap and figure out who controls the surplus. That's where the power lies.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:34 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:I actually had to learn political economics and marxism. The professor was a marxist and spent half the macroeconomics class teaching the required material, and the other half teaching political economics, marxism, and communism. We had photocopied textbooks from Cuba.

The one good thing that we came away with is a good foundation in most of the schools of thought. Political economics (marxism) have a few interesting perspectives in there too. It might be bullshit, but they sell it to people with some good heuristics surrounded by the bullshit. One of them was the idea that, when examining any economic system (including historical systems), you should cut through the crap and figure out who controls the surplus. That's where the power lies.
I'm in a pretty good place. Many of my profs have worked in the city gov't They're all about work. The head of the engineering department made his money in the MIC on engineering Marine hovercraft. I've got him for two classes this semester, and yesterday he said, "If you don't have a calculator, don't come to my class again." Millenials using their phones.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:25 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:I actually had to learn political economics and marxism. The professor was a marxist and spent half the macroeconomics class teaching the required material, and the other half teaching political economics, marxism, and communism. We had photocopied textbooks from Cuba.

I'm in a pretty good place. Many of my profs have worked in the city gov't They're all about work. The head of the engineering department made his money in the MIC on engineering Marine hovercraft. I've got him for two classes this semester, and yesterday he said, "If you don't have a calculator, don't come to my class again." Millenials using their phones.
Bullshit, making the kids pay for overpriced, obsolete, subsidized tech, instead of a $2 app. Wonder why school costs so much?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0