Ca Dems: stop suspending licenses over unpaid fines.

LVH2

Ca Dems: stop suspending licenses over unpaid fines.

Post by LVH2 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:08 pm

http://eastcountytoday.net/hertzberg-in ... -licenses/

A huge issue for me, partly because I've been on the wrong end of it. It might not seem like that big a deal, but the government shoving people into poverty for being broke and not paying a fine for a busted tail light or late registration is one of the clearest examples of elites declaring virtual war on the rest of us, especially the poor.

In California, there have been 661,000 such suspensions.

I've been willing to cut LEOs a break on some of these issues, as they do not write these laws. In fact, when I was in this situation, the police let me off the hook at least twice. But, sadly (according to the radio) they officially oppose this legislation.
Across the country, rising court fines, fees and penalties for minor offenses have proved especially burdensome to the poor and working poor, who can end up losing their driver’s licenses , jobs and freedom – sometimes going to jail – simply because they could not pay a traffic fine or failed to appear for a court hearing. A New Jersey study found that 42 percent of people whose driver’s licenses were suspended lost their jobs as a result of the suspension.

According to a report issued last year by the U.S. Federal Reserve, 46 percent of Americans don’t have $400 to pay for an emergency expense and would have to sell something or borrow money to cover the cost. Traffic tickets often cost hundreds of dollars and can exceed $400, depending on the offense.

“We have to quit punishing people simply for being poor, and unfortunately, that’s what our justice system often does with high fines and fees for minor traffic offenses,” Hertzberg said.

Martin Hash

Re: Ca Dems: stop suspending licenses over unpaid fines.

Post by Martin Hash » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:15 pm

There needs to be the Cattle-prod penalty. Be an ass: zapppp!
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:23 pm

Yeah that's pretty ridiculous. What's next? Suspending my license for failure to pay a toll? Because the Spanish company that owns the toll way has been threatening to do that to me for years.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:29 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Yeah that's pretty ridiculous. What's next? Suspending my license for failure to pay a toll? Because the Spanish company that owns the toll way has been threatening to do that to me for years.
There was a woman in Ga who went through without paying a ton of times. It was in the hundreds, if not thousands of times. Their policy was that if you got to the booth and didn't have any money, they'd let you through anyway. I guess someone caught on, and she ended up on the news after they arrested her.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:33 pm

Well that's pretty egregious. Some of the toll ways in Houston are set up so that you don't have a booth but you get scanned. It's problematic sometimes because of you aren't paying attention it can be easy to accidentally get funneled on to one in a few places. One place aslways used to get me but luckily there was a booth on that one.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:18 am

Its debtor's prison.

And its even more egregious since parking meters and toll roads are owned by private companies

Good job state
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:14 am

TheReal_ND wrote:Well that's pretty egregious. Some of the toll ways in Houston are set up so that you don't have a booth but you get scanned. It's problematic sometimes because of you aren't paying attention it can be easy to accidentally get funneled on to one in a few places. One place aslways used to get me but luckily there was a booth on that one.

They design it like that on purpose. They did that in the Chicago area as well. Democratic-run governments like to feed on people's wealth like plantation lords.

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:33 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Well that's pretty egregious. Some of the toll ways in Houston are set up so that you don't have a booth but you get scanned. It's problematic sometimes because of you aren't paying attention it can be easy to accidentally get funneled on to one in a few places. One place aslways used to get me but luckily there was a booth on that one.

They design it like that on purpose. They did that in the Chicago area as well. Democratic-run governments like to feed on people's wealth like plantation lords.
I think it's both parties. I heard a podcast recently where somebody was talkign about a similar system in the deep south. If you were from out of town on a car rental, you were almost guaranteed to screw up and wind up with a multi-ball fine.

However, I recently went through a booth in Illinois. It was late at night so there was nobody to take the toll. Even though THEY FUCKING HAVE these baskets where you just toss the change in, they decided not to use one at this booth.

Instead, you were supposed to write down the time you came through, and either mail in the toll or pay it online. It was like $3.

Obviously, the hope is that you blow it off or forget or don't understand or screw up the process somehow, and then three years later you're arrested because you owe $300,000 and have 9 missed court dates.

As already pointed out, a key part of the problem is libertarian/right zeal for "privatization."

In a country where bribery of public officials is almost totally legal (also a good thing from this political perspective), let's create scenarios where private companies profit from toll booths, traffic tickets, parking tickets, impounding cars, etc.

Great plan.

In the article, it mentions that a study in NJ found over 40% of people who had cars impounded lost their jobs. Imagine trying to get buy on $12/hr or something, with a kid, and then the government steals your car, throws you in jail and you lose your job. It's pretty much just time to blow your brains out.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:16 am

Fines; is just a euphemism for tax, if you gonna have a big government, that big government will have an insatiable appetite for revenue, you gotta pay for them teachers unions, and police pensions, and the high speed rail, and all the other crap they come up with, government's got to get the revenue somehow, fines is just a revenue stream, a tax by any other name, failure to pay your fines, is de facto tax evasion; you're getting off light, if all they do is send your sorry ass down to the bus stop.
Nec Aspera Terrent

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:40 am

America seems to run on a 'debtors prison' model now.. There is no limit to the amount they will fuck your life up over money.

Permanent student loan debt, tolls, fees, charges, etc, etc...
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0