Trump's SCOTUS

Zlaxer

Re: Trump's SCOTUS

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:16 am

Whatcha going to do Fife o'le boy - let this decision effect the way you vote? :whistle:

Trying to persuade others to vote differently?

yeah - that could turn the tide.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:18 am

I (sincerely) find it amazing that you still, deep down, hold out hope that the system can be restored to the Framer's vision.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:55 am

Take it easy HODL-lord. I just like history and I like Neil Gorsuch.

Get back to your video games and pretend I didn't encourage anybody to actually read a SCOTUS opinion today just for the fun of it.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:59 am

Fife wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:55 am
...read a SCOTUS opinion today just for the fun of it.
You're one of those types then...Pretty sure this is a disease....Lawyers grow old...get to the point where they actually "enjoy practicing"....

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:38 am

If there are any of you out there still interested in something as jejune as the SCOTUS, here is a quick and dirty take on the splits in yesterday's cases.

As I often say, interesting. IMNSHO.

Is There an RBA (Roberts-Breyer-Alito) Axis on SCOTUS?

Today's decisions were particularly interesting in that they split the Court in some unusual ways. These opinions suggest the potential emergence of a pragmatist bloc on the Court, and perhaps provided hints at the Court's direction going forward.

Fife

Post by Fife » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:37 am

Here's some commentary about the current term from de O's guy (and mine), Jonathan Turley:

Washington owes Supreme Court Justice Neil Gorsuch an apology
The author of that sweeping decision in favor of criminal defendant rights was Justice Neil Gorsuch, the first nomination by President Trump to the Supreme Court. I testified at his Senate hearing, favoring his confirmation despite unrelenting attacks on him as a “rubber stamp” and an ideologue. Gorsuch has proven his detractors wrong and, as this term has proven, he has emerged as one of the most consistent and courageous voices on the Supreme Court. Indeed, a number of senators and pundits in Washington owe Gorsuch an apology for their attacks on someone who is building a new legacy that could be one of the most lasting on the Supreme Court.

Gorsuch has been fascinating to watch over the last two years. He has departed repeatedly from the right of the Supreme Court to do what he considers to be the right thing. He remains a conservative justice but, like his predecessor Antonin Scalia, he has shown a sense of his own “true north” judicial compass. In doing so, he has often made both the left and right of the Supreme Court seem shallow and predictable in their rigidity.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:30 pm

A different opinion
Upshot of today’s SCOTUS rulings: Courts are God except for one ‘rare circumstance’

https://www.conservativereview.com/news ... cumstance/

Not sure I buy it
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:59 pm

The census case is one of the worst in a long time.

SCOTUS, and especially Roberts, has such a case of TDS that they seem happy to put the judicial branch in control of all executive/APA political decisions in the most micro and subjective way.

Oh well, it will at least be fun when the next DNC POTUS gets his/her/xir ass sued back to the stone age every single day over every executive decision.

Fife

Post by Fife » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:02 am

When do we get the Gorsuch swag?

Mike, how do you feel about a Repo Man piece with Gorsuch as Emilo? (and Tony Scalia as Harry Dean Stanton?)

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:08 am

Senate confirms Trump's 43rd circuit court nominee
W got 30
BHO merely 19

This is actually winning more than I could have ever expected

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... t-court-n/
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience