Trump's SCOTUS

Fife

Trump's SCOTUS

Post by Fife » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:30 pm

Trump's going to announce his pick next Thursday.

It's about time we have a thread to kick it around. I heard Chuckles smug up and say "we'll just hold it open" if he doesn't approve of the pick. I'm not personally so scared of the "nuclear option" on SCOTUS pics. 51 seems OK.

Anyhoo, to kick us off, do they let Canadians on the Supreme Court??? Mental Giant and Super Intellectual Mark Levin wants to know! :drunk:

Supreme Court Justice ... Ted Cruz?
In an interview with Mark Levin Tuesday, Texas Senator (and former presidential candidate) Ted Cruz would not deny being asked by the Trump administration if he was interested in serving on the Supreme Court.

"Did they ever ask you if you are interested?" Levin asked. "You know, we had conversations about a lot of things, including the court, I like being in the political arena," Cruz replied. To this, Levin repeated, "You were asked, weren't you?"

Speaker to Animals

Re: Trump's SCOTUS

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:32 pm

Remember like two months ago when they were opining that Obama could be the next justice pick? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh God, I love this.

adwinistrator

Post by adwinistrator » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:37 pm

If Trump really wanted to send everyone for a loop, he could nominate Merrick Garland.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:30 pm

adwinistrator wrote:If Trump really wanted to send everyone for a loop, he could nominate Merrick Garland.
Get fucked. This is one of the only things Conservatives have left, a lot of republicans voted for him for this and this alone. He gets this right or he's going to have a real problem.

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:33 pm

Donald's shortlist is apparently down to three: Thomas Hardiman, William Pryor, Neil Gorsuch.

Hardiman is about as hardline pro-police anti-suspect as you could ask for, so he's my current bet for the nomination, since the "Law and Order" president might consider getting favorable rulings on police and court procedure cases a priority. Emphasis on might.
On the Third Circuit, Hardiman has consistently sided with law enforcement against defendants and inmates. He ruled that a policy of strip-searching jail inmates didn't violate the Fourth Amendment's protections against unreasonable search (an opinion the Supreme Court upheld). He's also written, in dissent, that the First Amendment does not give citizens the right to tape police — something with which every state in the union currently disagrees.
Pryor, I imagine, would be the darling of this forum. You want a firebrand conservative justice? He's your man. Called Roe v. Wade "the worst abomination in the history of constitutional law."
He also, as attorney general of Alabama, wrote an amicus brief urging the Supreme Court to uphold laws banning sodomy and, in the words of Sen. Russ Feingold (D-WI), "equated private, consensual sexual activity between homosexuals to prostitution, adultery, necrophilia, bestiality, incest and pedophilia."
Neil Gorsuch might as well be a vat-grown Scalia clone. So, a "safe" option, I guess.

I'd say the Democrats should force the Republicans to finally nuke the filibuster and get it over with, but of course it looks like they're going to capitulate and let any nomination through without much of a fuss for the sake of "bipartisan compromise".
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:37 am

He needs eight D senators on board or it's a no go.
Account abandoned.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:12 am

Kath wrote:He needs eight D senators on board or it's a no go.
It will be interesting to see the stare-down between Chuckles and the Turtle.

Depending on the candidate and the DEFCON status at the GOP SAC, Turtle might just go nuclear on they asses.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:48 am

I see. Suddenly "do your job" doesn't mean the same thing.

Fife

Post by Fife » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:16 am

K@th

Post by K@th » Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:26 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:

I see. Suddenly "do your job" doesn't mean the same thing.
So now Congress' job is to just say yes to whatever the president wants? When did that rule go into place? I imagine they'll vote... that's their job. To vote. Their job isn't to vote yes because president cry baby says so.
Account abandoned.