Oh, the Irony

clubgop

Re: Oh, the Irony

Post by clubgop » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:58 am

atanamis wrote:
clubgop wrote:
jbird4049 wrote:It is not pandering. I rather wish for more deportations myself, but the idea behind the local police not dealing with immigrants is public safety.

I might not like illegal immigration, but if they cannot report crimes committed against themselves, the thieves, rapists, murderers, and generally abusive creeps like contractors will do so risk free.
If that is all sanctuary laws were then Trump wouldn't be President or at least they wouldn't be an issue. The left overplays its hand and goes extreme when they catch the illegal that stole the car, they wont report his ass. That has to stop. If you are law abiding peacefully participating in society, Local goverments can look the other way and let the Feds deal or not deal with you as they will.
Two possibilities here in SF either since the murder of that young girl they are reporting every illegal to CYA or they are especially reporting sympathetic people like this so the press will duitifully report it with the adjoining crocodile tears and that will be the prevailing narrative on sanctuary cities.
That IS all sanctuary laws are. States and cities are prohibited by federal law from enforcing immigration law, they aren't permitted to deport people. That's a federal job. So they are left with people in their jurisdiction who they are not allowed to get rid of. They can either force these people underground where they will drive without training and testing, not send their kids to school, not report crimes to police, or they can create "sanctuary" laws that say that while you're here we'd rather you take a test before driving, report crimes to police, get your kids educated, and otherwise not be a menace to society. If the federal government would do their job, none of this would be needed. The job of local police is to protect the safety of the local residents, not to try to do the job of federal agents for the feds. It's like on TV when the homicide investigator is trying to get the guy smoking pot to share what he knows, and says "we aren't here about your pot". If you want to catch car thieves, you don't make victims afraid to talk to police. Sometimes it is ok to "not be here for that".
They are to report and turn people over failing to do so is supposed to be a federal crime. If I already have a perp in custody and he not only is in violation of municipal law but federal law as well it is not ok to "not be here for that." Turn these people over get these fuckers out of here.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Jan 21, 2017 7:14 am

jbird4049 wrote:
de officiis wrote:Undocumented worker sues San Francisco for violating sanctuary law
(Reuters) - An undocumented immigrant from El Salvador is suing San Francisco alleging police violated the city's sanctuary city policy by turning him over to U.S. immigration authorities after he reported his car stolen.

The lawsuit was filed on Tuesday on behalf of Pedro Figueroa Zarceno, 32, in federal court in San Francisco against the city and its police chief for violating his right to due process and breaking an ordinance barring municipal employees from cooperating with federal immigration authorities seeking to deport a person.

Figueroa walked into a police station in November 2015 to report his car stolen, according to the lawsuit. Two days later, the car was found and when he went to recover it, he was handcuffed and led outside where federal immigration agents were waiting for him, the lawsuit said.

"We'll obviously have to review the lawsuit before we can comment on it," John Cote, a spokesman for the San Francisco city attorney, said by phone. "That being said, San Francisco has strong policies in place to encourage victims and witnesses to report crimes without fear of being deported."
:lol: Sometimes I just have to laugh at what I read in the news nowadays...and it seems like that's happening more often as the country slowly unravels.

It is not pandering. I rather wish for more deportations myself, but the idea behind the local police not dealing with immigrants is public safety.

I might not like illegal immigration, but if they cannot report crimes committed against themselves, the thieves, rapists, murderers, and generally abusive creeps like contractors will do so risk free.

It is pandering. The democrats who run those cities do everything possible to aid the activities of a criminal demographic. Then they fight tooth and nail to block any effort to require the slightest bit of identification when voting. Derp.

And as far as illegal immigrants being the victims of crime.. no shit. Criminals are often the victims of other criminals since they can't go to the police. The solution to avoiding that situation is to not be a criminal in the first place.

atanamis

Post by atanamis » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:12 pm

clubgop wrote:They are to report and turn people over failing to do so is supposed to be a federal crime. If I already have a perp in custody and he not only is in violation of municipal law but federal law as well it is not ok to "not be here for that." Turn these people over get these fuckers out of here.
I am sorry, but this is categorically not true:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/dec/7/are-sanctuary-cities-legal/ wrote:Enter the Supreme Court. It has required the states — and thus the municipalities in them — to make social services available to everyone resident within them, irrespective of citizenry, or lawful or unlawful immigration status. This is so because the constitutional command to the states of equal protection applies to all persons, not just to citizens. So the states and municipalities may not deny basic social services to anyone based on nationality or immigration status.

The high court has also prohibited the federal government from “commandeering” the states by forcing them to work for the feds at their own expense by actively enforcing federal law. As Ronald Reagan reminded us in his first inaugural address, the states formed the federal government, not the other way around. They did so by ceding 16 discrete powers to the federal government and retaining to themselves all powers not ceded.
If this constitutional truism were not recognized or enforced by the courts, the federal government could effectively eradicate the sovereignty of the states or even bankrupt them by forcing them to spend their tax dollars enforcing federal law or paying for federal programs.

Thus the Trump dilemma. He must follow the Constitution, or the courts will enjoin him as they have his predecessor. He cannot use a stick to bend the governments of sanctuary cities to his will, but he can use a carrot. He can ask Congress for legislative grants of funds to cities conditioned upon their compliance with certain federal immigration laws.
The above is just a summary, but I can find the actual court decisions if you need it. The fact is that the federal government CANNOT compel stated to enforce federal law, whether that be a federal law against marijuana or a federal law against being in this country. They can REQUEST that states and cities help then in enforcing such laws, but they cannot COMPEL them to do so. And frankly, I fully understand the logic in not doing so. Forcing illegals to not call the police when they are witnessing a crime will just increase the incidence of crime. Not allowing them to get a license to drive will just result in more unlicensed drivers. It is the proper role and job of the federal government to enforce federal law. That's the entire purpose for entities like the FBI, DEA, and ICE. (And I still see no justification for federal laws regarding a crop grown and distributed inside a single state.) Different agencies can choose to collaborate for the good of their individual missions, but it is in fact 100% permissible for a local police agency to decide "already have a perp in custody and he not only is in violation of municipal law but federal law", and then to enforce only municipal law.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:52 pm

Apply that reasoning to drug money, or half the shit the mafia is into.

Can't have laws against drug dealers, folks, because the criminal nature of their lifestyle makes it difficult for them to report crimes while simultaneously increasing their likelihood of being victimized by other criminals..

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:01 pm

he not only is in violation of municipal law but federal law", and then to enforce only municipal law.
We are not talking about money or budgets we are talking about a phone call or an email. The excesses of this policy will be its downfall.