Oh, the Irony

de officiis

Oh, the Irony

Post by de officiis » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:37 am

Undocumented worker sues San Francisco for violating sanctuary law
(Reuters) - An undocumented immigrant from El Salvador is suing San Francisco alleging police violated the city's sanctuary city policy by turning him over to U.S. immigration authorities after he reported his car stolen.

The lawsuit was filed on Tuesday on behalf of Pedro Figueroa Zarceno, 32, in federal court in San Francisco against the city and its police chief for violating his right to due process and breaking an ordinance barring municipal employees from cooperating with federal immigration authorities seeking to deport a person.

Figueroa walked into a police station in November 2015 to report his car stolen, according to the lawsuit. Two days later, the car was found and when he went to recover it, he was handcuffed and led outside where federal immigration agents were waiting for him, the lawsuit said.

"We'll obviously have to review the lawsuit before we can comment on it," John Cote, a spokesman for the San Francisco city attorney, said by phone. "That being said, San Francisco has strong policies in place to encourage victims and witnesses to report crimes without fear of being deported."
:lol: Sometimes I just have to laugh at what I read in the news nowadays...and it seems like that's happening more often as the country slowly unravels.

apeman

Re: Oh, the Irony

Post by apeman » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:44 am

:doh:

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:23 am

You have to go back. Take your shitty Honda with you.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:25 am

A lot of those guys drive older Jettas because they don't know Jettas in America are for chicks.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:27 am

It was stolen so I assumed Honda.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:29 am

Good point.

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:57 am

TheReal_ND wrote:It was stolen so I assumed Honda.
Ah yes.... the official Burrito drift car!
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:53 pm

They should have let him drive away and then pull him over for driving without a license. Wait, does SF issue valid licenses to "undocumented" immigrants? They probably do. :think:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:25 pm

PartyOf5 wrote:They should have let him drive away and then pull him over for driving without a license. Wait, does SF issue valid licenses to "undocumented" immigrants? They probably do. :think:

Lots of states do now.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:43 pm

de officiis wrote:Undocumented worker sues San Francisco for violating sanctuary law
(Reuters) - An undocumented immigrant from El Salvador is suing San Francisco alleging police violated the city's sanctuary city policy by turning him over to U.S. immigration authorities after he reported his car stolen.

The lawsuit was filed on Tuesday on behalf of Pedro Figueroa Zarceno, 32, in federal court in San Francisco against the city and its police chief for violating his right to due process and breaking an ordinance barring municipal employees from cooperating with federal immigration authorities seeking to deport a person.

Figueroa walked into a police station in November 2015 to report his car stolen, according to the lawsuit. Two days later, the car was found and when he went to recover it, he was handcuffed and led outside where federal immigration agents were waiting for him, the lawsuit said.

"We'll obviously have to review the lawsuit before we can comment on it," John Cote, a spokesman for the San Francisco city attorney, said by phone. "That being said, San Francisco has strong policies in place to encourage victims and witnesses to report crimes without fear of being deported."
:lol: Sometimes I just have to laugh at what I read in the news nowadays...and it seems like that's happening more often as the country slowly unravels.

It is not pandering. I rather wish for more deportations myself, but the idea behind the local police not dealing with immigrants is public safety.

I might not like illegal immigration, but if they cannot report crimes committed against themselves, the thieves, rapists, murderers, and generally abusive creeps like contractors will do so risk free.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.