Left-leaning protestors refuse to allow free speech.

TheReal_ND

Re: Left-leaning protestors refuse to allow free speech.

Post by TheReal_ND » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:42 pm

de officiis wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Looks like the issue is the Republicans Club cucking out.
It's actually a Republican win because it reveals the hypocritical face of the fascist Left, and more and more people are realizing what's going on.
I agree with that assessment however, by caving in to the protestors another one could be made imo.

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:19 am

It makes the left look terrible, because they are being terrible.

However, underneath these stories is the fact that, in many cases, these people are paid like 10k a pop to come give a talk. So, sometimes the protest is largely over that.

If Milo were coming to talk for free, they would still protest and be even more wrong.

I think there are occasions where some private group comes up with the dough, but it often comes out of student fees for recreation or whatever.

With outrageous college costs, nobody should be getting paid like that, and certainly not someone like Milo, nor some twitter wise ass from the left.
and
Max pay should be maybe $300-400, plus room board and travel. A free vacation, a chance to poison the minds of the young, probably bang a student, and a middle class pay day. If that's not enough, you probably don't believe what your saying anyway.

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:26 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:

One of the things that sucks about state schools is that they really don't have the authority to keep every crackpot from going on campus and trying to convert people to rasta or some other bullshit, or getting on a soapbox.
Isn't that what free speech is?
It depends if you believe that free speech is a legal right, that should exist, but should be circumvented whenever possible, or if you agree with right wingers like Mill and Chomsky that free speech is an inherently good practice.

It can be a fine line. Protesting to say, "this guy sucks!" works with the latter. Protesting to prevent him from speaking is the former.

Pretending that a twitter troll is going to cause real harm by telling a mean joke is retardation.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:34 am

LVH2 wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:

One of the things that sucks about state schools is that they really don't have the authority to keep every crackpot from going on campus and trying to convert people to rasta or some other bullshit, or getting on a soapbox.
Isn't that what free speech is?
It depends if you believe that free speech is a legal right, that should exist, but should be circumvented whenever possible, or if you agree with right wingers like Mill and Chomsky that free speech is an inherently good practice.

It can be a fine line. Protesting to say, "this guy sucks!" works with the latter. Protesting to prevent him from speaking is the former.

Pretending that a twitter troll is going to cause real harm by telling a mean joke is retardation.

It isn't so much that I disagree with free speech, but that that I think universities should be focused on educating students. A lot of major public universities have degenerates who are not even students causing problems on the campus all the time. Communists handing out their bullshit newsletters, weird cult members trying to convert everybody to Hari Krishna or whatever, shit like that. Then when actual intellectuals come to discuss something the left doesn't like, they threaten violence (or actually commit violence) to stop that person from speaking. Where the open campus allows for more degeneracy, they don't care. They only care when actual intellectual discussions take place about subjects they don't want discussed.

Maybe it's just my own bias from taking a few semesters at a public university compared to most of my time at private universities for undergrad and graduate school. Though my alma mater now is just as guilty of shutting down conservative speech as the other universities, they at least probably still don't allow the communist riff raff on campus to hand out their garbage newsletter.

And then again, my experience is colored by Chicago, which is pretty much ground zero for the most violent and degenerate form of marxism in the country. I encounter a lot of people who have no idea what these far left organizations are really like or what they are capable of. Americans only just now caught a glimpse of the problem when these people invade the UIC campus to inflict violence on Trump supporters and police. The thing is, those people are there to some extent every single day.

Consider the craziness of that. Conservatives like Ben Shapiro and the republican presidential candidate cannot really speak there because the communists and anarchists will start to riot and try to harm innocent people. But every single day, those same communists and anarchists are out on campus (and they aren't even students by and large I might add; most of them are thick as bricks) assisting the liberal arts faculty in indoctrinating students into marxism. If you think that's hyperbole, UIC in particular had a domestic terrorist (Bill Ayers) on its faculty when I took classes there. It's extremely marxist outside of the STEM departments. We even had straight-up radical Islamists on campus talking about their goals for America one day. Most well-off Muslims in the city sent their kids to my alma mater, a Catholic university. There are lots of Muslims there because Catholics are more willing to accommodate their religious requirements, and the social standards are somewhat similar. But no way would that radical Islamist stuff be allowed. At least not back then.

So, honestly, I don't think the free speech thing really works there. It distracts from education and research, and ultimately, it's only subverted by the far left for their own gain while depriving it to their opponents. We'd be better off with campuses that deliberately maintained some form of apolitical policy on matters.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:45 am

de officiis wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Looks like the issue is the Republicans Club cucking out.
It's actually a Republican win because it reveals the hypocritical face of the fascist Left, and more and more people are realizing what's going on.
No, no, no, no. Canceling the event does nothing you have to have the confrontation. That is some gamergate, criticism = harassment bullshit. Leftist cant be anonymous bullies get them on camera, make them famous. Aids Skrillex, Carl the cuck, Trigglypuff, Mizzou "muscle" professor, Hugh Mungus lady. Make them show up, give them a microphone, then meme the shit out of them. Milo and Ben Shapiro have made careers out of doing this shit.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:49 am

He's-right-you-know.jpeg

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:52 am

Even worse, if you look at footage of these protests and riots, you will see organizations like ACLU have identified observers there to look for any reason at all to go after police or Trump supporters. But I don't recall a single motion filed on behalf of the thousands of Trump supporters I know they witnessed being beaten and intimidated by the "protesters".

What a lot of people don't want to accept is that the far left essentially wages war on Americans. This culture war is already a hot war on the streets. The MSM goes out of its way to not show you the violence, but you can easily see it on youtube now. They try to obfuscate the violence by characterizing these riots as "protests" and the criminals as "protesters" or "marchers". They will say things like, "it was mostly peaceful", when it absolutely was not peaceful at all. In many case the media is complicit in instigating the riots, especially with the BLM race riots.

Our society isn't just divided in half. One half is waging war on the other half. That other half is only now just starting to fight back.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:56 am

Pussies

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:18 am

However, underneath these stories is the fact that, in many cases, these people are paid like 10k a pop to come give a talk. So, sometimes the protest is largely over that.
I think you are exaggerting the cost there I used to be on a committee in college that would schedule and get some of these talks and no one was charging anywhere near that. That 10k is probably a sum total for the whole event. Pay for security, pay for the venue, pay some union guy to set, do the lighting, set up film equipment, book publishers are a hugh pain in the ass they want thier cut, it can be endless everybody has their hand out beforehand.

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:59 am

LVH2 wrote:However, underneath these stories is the fact that, in many cases, these people are paid like 10k a pop to come give a talk. So, sometimes the protest is largely over that.
Speaking fees was not a reason for the protest. You're just reaching for some kind of justification for this crybully behavior. I'm really starting to like that term. Crybully fits these people.