Cultural Effects of Loss of Labor

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: Cultural Effects of Loss of Labor

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:45 pm

What bad things are expected to happen to society if kids would rather be professional bloggers than work in noodle shops? I have little use for either profession since I can cook my own noodles, and I would bet society can survive in the absence of the supposed character building magic of unfulfilling or arduous tasks.

If manual labor is the only thread holding civilization together, we best all become luddites right quick.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:50 pm

Idk. There's something to be said for testing the limits of your physical and mental endurance. I've always enjoyed it. I bet the feeling of accomplishment you can get is orders of magnitude greater when you are doing something like that on your own homestead.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:59 pm

I completely agree. Physically or mentally testing oneself in sport or work can be very edifying. That is completely different than attaching an extra moral or societal good component to work.

John Henry blew up his own heart... and for what, to prove he could be more useful to Union Pacific? Fuck that, let the damn steam drill dig post holes and let John Henry live a long edifying life.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:08 pm

I think you're conflating two different things. As I've said pushing yourself to the limit in a homesteading act is going to yield, presumably, a much more gratifying experience for obvious reasons. It's not that you just got the arduous task done but you've also accomplished something real. That does pass off in work sometimes. I'm not talking about working in a noodle shop which is completely trivial but perhaps in terms of laying pipe in a pipe rack fifty feet in the air or doing roofing on a Victorian style house. As for your sports analogy so what? You made the sportsball go back and forth and some Jew payed you big bucks. Meh.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:21 pm

Homesteading, sporting, it doesn't matter if the testing is what you are after, or the accomplishment.

Forcing people to homestead, roof, or lay pipe when they don't find anything gratifying in the task? Not interested, let the robots do it.
HAIL!

-Hwen

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:28 pm

I enjoy laying pipe 50 feet up in a tangled pipe rack with sub zero temperatures while maintaining an inch of decline for every 20 feet and lining up the drops straight down to the manifold to be hooked up to pumps and turbines. Anyway I haven't seen a robot yet that could come close to accomplishing those feats so keep on dreaming with your automated dystopia where the best physical feat a man can achieve involves pushing an egg ball for the MSM.

Mercury

Post by Mercury » Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:44 am

Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:What bad things are expected to happen to society if kids would rather be professional bloggers than work in noodle shops?
Most bloggers earn considerably less than noodle shop employees. Most art history and photography majors do not become successful art historians or professional photographers. The demand for these skills is just not high enough to support the number of people that have developed them. Almost all of them will have to do something else; they'll have to find a job that they probably don't want to do.

Can they handle this if they've never had to do anything that they didn't want to do before?
With sad countenance and downcast eyes, Aeneas wends his way, quitting the cavern, and ponders in his mind the dark issues.

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:31 am

Well put ^

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:56 am

Mercury wrote:
Hanarchy Montanarchy wrote:What bad things are expected to happen to society if kids would rather be professional bloggers than work in noodle shops?
Most bloggers earn considerably less than noodle shop employees. Most art history and photography majors do not become successful art historians or professional photographers. The demand for these skills is just not high enough to support the number of people that have developed them. Almost all of them will have to do something else; they'll have to find a job that they probably don't want to do.

Can they handle this if they've never had to do anything that they didn't want to do before?
Well hell, life affords plenty of opportunities do shit you don't want to do unrelated to some job. Hernia checks, having a conversation with a friend of a friend when your mutual friend gets up to use the bathroom, getting a smog check... Christ almighty, the list of dumb crap I don't want to do is endless, and would be even if I had my dream job.

Claiming to be a photographer while complaining about your actual job at the ramen franchise isn't going to erode civilization any time soon... honest injun it won't.
HAIL!

-Hwen

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:02 am

It would seem that restaurants, coffee shops, and bookstores now mostly employee people of other professions "temporarily" without work in their chosen fields.