Guardian Article re Localization of Gun Violence

kybkh

Re: Guardian Article re Localization of Gun Violence

Post by kybkh » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:54 am

My marriage point above made me recollect one of my all time favorite fake news articles from the WP.

Children with married parents are better off — but marriage isn’t the reason why

We know that children raised by two parents tend to be more successful — at school, in the future labor market, in their own marriages — than children raised by a single mom or dad. And from this fact, it might seem easy to conclude that marriage wields some outsized power over a child's life — that its absence creates unstable homes and chaotic families, while its presence nurtures them.

In reality, though, the question of why children of married parents are more likely to thrive is an extraordinarily complicated one. From a new analysis by Kimberly Howard and Richard V. Reeves at the Center on Children and Families at the Brookings Institution:

Is it simply because they have, on average, higher family incomes? (Two earners are better than one, and one household is cheaper to run than two.) Or are two committed spouses better able to provide consistent parenting? Is it marriage itself that matters, or is marriage the visible expression of other factors, that are the true cause of different outcomes? And if so, which ones?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... ea1c0ee225
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:14 am

TheReal_ND wrote:
irony is another term which is grossly misapplied
I know and I don't care because irony has come to fill the useful void that is "funny, sometimes contradictory, coincidence." Classical sense be damned. In fact, I've almost never heard anyone use the term irony as it was meant. Probably never have. Which is ironic now that I think of it...
You know what's ironic?

Iron.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

apeman

Post by apeman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:16 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:You know what's ironic?

Iron.
Go to your room.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Lol these guys again....

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:53 pm

Too bad the FBI spends more time with these antics than investigating pedo rings like the one exposed by the Podesta email leaks.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:44 pm

de officiis wrote:Getting back to the substance of what skankhunt said, hasn't it been said, if not on this board then on Dan's, that Planned Parenthood has basically been a Holocaust for black folks?
WTF? A Holocaust for black folks? Are there secret programs to round people up in the street to a) kill them in some hidden death chamber, or b) covert mass sterilization?
kybkh wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote: I'm so fucking sick of this narrative where we have to bend over backwards to accommodate black Americans. I've heard it all my life and undoubtedly everyone else has as well. Is anyone else absolutely fed up with it? These people are the ones committing gun violence by and large and then you have other people demanding everyone give up their guns to accommodate them. Fuck that. Don't even get me started on who is most likely going to be on the receiving end of a self defense firearm discharge. When will the conversation start revolving around what the actual problem is and not this pixie dust bull shit?
The problem is, as Dan would put it, That wound in the inner-cities is starting to turn gangrenous. If "we" as a society can't help that community within our society improve their lot, the chance of increasing violence as low skill jobs become increasingly difficult to get is high.

Shit, if my demographic sported the same statistics as African Americans I'd be rioting in the streets also.

Eh, culture is the issue I fear. The rap culture, the ghetto culture, the drug culture...hard to escape such heavy influences.

The only black kids I knew living in the suburbs of Louisville were Carltons. Didn't know anything else til they started busing the rough lot in from Westport. That literally destroyed our community btw.

Once the area school's test scores took a dive property value bottomed and everyone went private and moved to more exclusive neighborhoods.
So what came first, the culture, or the poverty? I think that the lack of jobs created the poverty which created the culture. Also, weirdly, the improvement in civil rights for blacks. Up until the 60s, it didn't matter what your job was, if you were black, you lived only in one part of town. So, any child living there saw lawyers, doctors, politicians, janitors, homeless, everything. The people knew that there were possibilities for everyone, albeit constrained. However, the successful, educated black class left when they could, leaving all the poor, often dysfunctional, people stuck the ghetto. And there the only people they usually see are their fellow screw-ups.
kybkh wrote:
skankhunt42 wrote:
kybkh wrote:I reckon if we want this nation to avoid greater conflict from within, we need to figure something out. Can it be fixed? What can we do help?

Jobs??

To me ultimate answer is providing early childhood programs. You got 4 years to tame a human, if they ain't got right and wrong figured by then, the odds fall off a cliff.
Not to be Orwellian, but we should really start to focus on who exactly is having children. It will never happen, but until we do that this problem will go on forever. Not everyone should be allowed to breed. If you come from a cycle of shit, you should have to prove somehow that you're not going to continue that cycle to have a kid.
At best, if you really want to come at a problem that way I'd say go the Chinese route and maybe limit the # of children you are allowed to have per your level of education.

1 legacy is a give me. 2 if you graduate HS. 3 for college. 4+ for post graduates. Your throw in the requirement of being married and you will start pumping out the übermensch in a generation.

Hell, statistics show marriage is #1 determiner. If we started making divorce when children are involved more difficult we may end up with more pill popping momma's but shit according to fake news we already at 60% just to get by.

Nearly 60 percent of Americans — the highest ever — are taking prescription drugs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to- ... 18ef9e4ea2

Yes, and the road to hell, as the cliche goes, is paved with good intentions. Once you start treating people as livestock to be custom bred, it goes wrong. Attempts to create better humans by birth control started the baby steps to genocide.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:56 pm

jbird4049 wrote:
de officiis wrote:Getting back to the substance of what skankhunt said, hasn't it been said, if not on this board then on Dan's, that Planned Parenthood has basically been a Holocaust for black folks?
WTF? A Holocaust for black folks? Are there secret programs to round people up in the street to a) kill them in some hidden death chamber, or b) covert mass sterilization?
kybkh wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote: I'm so fucking sick of this narrative where we have to bend over backwards to accommodate black Americans. I've heard it all my life and undoubtedly everyone else has as well. Is anyone else absolutely fed up with it? These people are the ones committing gun violence by and large and then you have other people demanding everyone give up their guns to accommodate them. Fuck that. Don't even get me started on who is most likely going to be on the receiving end of a self defense firearm discharge. When will the conversation start revolving around what the actual problem is and not this pixie dust bull shit?
The problem is, as Dan would put it, That wound in the inner-cities is starting to turn gangrenous. If "we" as a society can't help that community within our society improve their lot, the chance of increasing violence as low skill jobs become increasingly difficult to get is high.

Shit, if my demographic sported the same statistics as African Americans I'd be rioting in the streets also.

Eh, culture is the issue I fear. The rap culture, the ghetto culture, the drug culture...hard to escape such heavy influences.

The only black kids I knew living in the suburbs of Louisville were Carltons. Didn't know anything else til they started busing the rough lot in from Westport. That literally destroyed our community btw.

Once the area school's test scores took a dive property value bottomed and everyone went private and moved to more exclusive neighborhoods.
So what came first, the culture, or the poverty? I think that the lack of jobs created the poverty which created the culture. Also, weirdly, the improvement in civil rights for blacks.

Up until the 60s, it didn't matter what your job was, if you were black, you lived only in one part of town. So, any child living there saw lawyers, doctors, politicians, janitors, homeless, everything. The people knew that there were possibilities for everyone, albeit constrained.

However, the successful, educated black class left when they could, leaving all the poor, often dysfunctional, people stuck the ghetto. And there the only people they usually see are their fellow screw-ups.

Of course one the reasons the various ghettos are where they are is because that's where people moved to where the jobs were, factories, shipyards, train lines/depots, etc. Notice a pattern? The jobs have all left, but the people stayed. The deindustrialization of America started in the late 60s, and last hired, first fired kicked in, and I think the places that were majority white had the pull to keep the factories there longer.

It's like some evil genius set out to create this mess we're in.
kybkh wrote:
skankhunt42 wrote:
Not to be Orwellian, but we should really start to focus on who exactly is having children. It will never happen, but until we do that this problem will go on forever. Not everyone should be allowed to breed. If you come from a cycle of shit, you should have to prove somehow that you're not going to continue that cycle to have a kid.
At best, if you really want to come at a problem that way I'd say go the Chinese route and maybe limit the # of children you are allowed to have per your level of education.

1 legacy is a give me. 2 if you graduate HS. 3 for college. 4+ for post graduates. Your throw in the requirement of being married and you will start pumping out the übermensch in a generation.

Hell, statistics show marriage is #1 determiner. If we started making divorce when children are involved more difficult we may end up with more pill popping momma's but shit according to fake news we already at 60% just to get by.

Nearly 60 percent of Americans — the highest ever — are taking prescription drugs

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to- ... 18ef9e4ea2

Yes, and the road to hell, as the cliche goes, is paved with good intentions. Once you start treating people as livestock to be custom bred, it goes wrong. Attempts to create better humans by birth control started the baby steps to genocide.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:02 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:

Lol these guys again....
He's got charisma.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:26 pm

jbird4049 wrote:
IIRC, the comment was made with reference to the loss of life resulting from of easy access to abortion in the 70's and later.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:42 pm

Planned Parenthood was originally created to exterminate the black race from America. It's original name, as founded by Sanger, was the Negro Project. Margaret Sanger was a eugenicist who believed that blacks were an inferior race who polluted the American gene pool.

Whether or not the people running that business still believe that, or if they are killing millions of babies for the money only, they (along with the rest of the abortion industry) continue to kill off somewhere around half of all black babies conceived. Thus the black population has not really grown much at all outside of immigration. Still, if their motives no longer boil down to racist eugenics, I find it strange that they predominantly target minority communities with their clinics. Presumably white women who have no problem killing their own babies are able to pay more for abortions, making it more profitable to serve middle class communities.

Look at the percentages of the population. Blacks are stuck at around 12%, and that includes all the immigration from Africa, Caribbean, and Latin America.

They only now are starting to reach the same percentage of the population they constituted before the Civil War.

Shit to think about..