Guardian Article re Localization of Gun Violence

de officiis

Guardian Article re Localization of Gun Violence

Post by de officiis » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:16 pm

Ran across this article analyzing the localized nature of gun violence in 127 U.S. cities and thought it was worth sharing. I suppose their conclusion that gun violence tends to be concentrated in areas that are impoverished, uneducated and black probably should come as no surprise, but the maps are interesting.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/ng- ... in-america

Okeefenokee

Re: Guardian Article re Localization of Gun Violence

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:19 pm

“We can’t do much about crime prevention of homicide if we try to attack it as a broad, global problem, throwing money at it in a sort of broad, global way,” said David Weisburd, a leading researcher on the geographic distribution of crime at George Mason University.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:23 pm

Gun violence is a regressive tax that falls heaviest on neighborhoods already struggling with poverty, unemployment, and failing schools. The unequal burden of violence is also marked by intense racial disparities.
They say this shit like it's coming from outside. Like white people are going into the hood killing black people.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:04 pm

A regressive tax? Are they fucking insane? This is what black people do to themselves and everybody else in this country. It's time people wake up to the fact that black culture in America is a total catastrophe.

Nobody makes them murder.

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:46 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:A regressive tax? Are they fucking insane? This is what black people do to themselves and everybody else in this country. It's time people wake up to the fact that black culture in America is a total catastrophe.

You can't criticize black culture if you're white, no matter how objectively true the critical observations are. Only black people can do that and typically when they do, they are shunned for being too white.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:50 pm

Alexander PhiAlipson

Post by Alexander PhiAlipson » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:08 pm

The good folk across the pond at The Guardian considered a few demographics in their inanity, but they seem to have missed something glaringly obvious.
Want to fix gun violence in America? Go local... and vote Republican, if maps mean anything.
:think:
"She had yellow hair and she walked funny and she made a noise like... O my God, please don't kill me! "

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:18 pm

No legend. I guess I need to click the link to find out what the blue dots mean.

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:27 pm

I reckon if we want this nation to avoid greater conflict from within, we need to figure something out. Can it be fixed? What can we do help?

Jobs??

To me ultimate answer is providing early childhood programs. You got 4 years to tame a human, if they ain't got right and wrong figured by then, the odds fall off a cliff.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:37 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:A regressive tax? Are they fucking insane? This is what black people do to themselves and everybody else in this country. It's time people wake up to the fact that black culture in America is a total catastrophe.

Okeefenokee wrote:
Gun violence is a regressive tax that falls heaviest on neighborhoods already struggling with poverty, unemployment, and failing schools. The unequal burden of violence is also marked by intense racial disparities.
They say this shit like it's coming from outside. Like white people are going into the hood killing black people.
Remember during the recent election, when the white, including BTW the black, working class were soft on Queen Hilary? Because of that the partisans of Democratic Party, the "Party" of the working class, with some assist from some Republicans, basically said poor, and even working class, whites were all losers who were pretty much responsible for the economic devastation, and moral decline, of the past few generations. The massive drop in employment along with the massive increase in drug use, the oxy-continue, the meth labs, the suicides, the child abuse. That shipping all the factories, with their jobs, to China using the tax breaks, and trades created by our beloved Congress? Plus busting unions without putting the mega corporations, or Big Finance under control, or allowing the illegal use of H-1B visas really had nothing to do with it? Do you? And I keep could adding more, oh so much more on this.

I realize there is a refusal to acknowledge the past injustices of racism, never mind it still odious, albeit diminished, existence. But let's just use the current economic trends that started in the early 1970s. That is over 40 years ago, or two whole generations. What with blacks have always been the last hired, and first fired, with the best jobs going to whites first, they got a nice tailwind into the economic, and social, catastrophe we whites are now sailing into.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.