Climate Denier Hard To Refute

StCapps

Re: Climate Denier Hard To Refute

Post by StCapps » Sat May 11, 2019 1:43 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 1:41 pm
Dude, I'm walking away because you're too good of a debater. Debate someone else who's nobody.
Sometimes arguing does change my mind, if you bring your A game, and my argument is flawed, it is quite easy to change my mind, Smitty has done so repeatedly, and I don't just take his word for things because he's an expert, I ask him to clarify when I disagree and he usually does, you usually don't. When you do change my mind, it is never with an appeal to authority, bet that.

I change Smitty's mind too with good arguments, it's not the person making the argument that matters, it's the quality of the argument that matters. Appeals to authority is just a really lame argument, and when you resort to that, that's like blood in the water.

When I disagree with DB, he will often clarify his position, when he doesn't want to just troll, and he has changed my mind on many occasions. I learn a lot from people on this forum, and I am very open to compelling arguments, in fact, I'm a sucker for a compelling argument.

The best way to troll me is play devil's advocate with a compelling argument that you know is bullshit, but you can make the argument so compelling that I buy it anyway, due to lack of expertise. I am a sucker for high level sophistry when I am not very knowledgeable about a subject, it's one my biggest flaws, and has lead me to holding some idiotic opinions in the past.

If you want to change my mind, appealing to authority is never going to get the job done, so you might want to try more effective tactics, pro tip.
*yip*

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Sat May 11, 2019 2:05 pm

i went back like 4 pages but i still don't know what the argument was even about

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat May 11, 2019 2:24 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:05 pm
i went back like 4 pages but i still don't know what the argument was even about
Just the general "authority doesn't mean anything" argument.

p.s. As I type this, I'm working on 6 units of Continuing Accounting Education; uploading videos from my recent Peru trip; putting a new pressure switch on my well pump (how many people even know that that is besides whether they know how to install & adjust it?); but if I argue that I'm an expert in these things, nope.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 11, 2019 2:26 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:24 pm
pineapplemike wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:05 pm
Just the general "authority doesn't mean anything" argument.

p.s. As I type this, I'm working on 6 units of Continuing Accounting Education; uploading videos from my recent Peru trip; putting a new pressure switch on my well pump (how many people even know that that is besides whether they know how to install & adjust it?); but if I argue that I'm an expert in these things, nope.
Authority means something, but simply appealing to authority is a terrible argument and a logical fallacy, big difference. You want to use your authority as a mic drop in every argument on a topic you consider yourself an expert in, but it's not a mic drop dude, so stop pretending that it is.

Claiming you're an expert, while withholding your expertise, and demanding people take your word for it anyway, isn't compelling. It just makes you seem like a snob who thinks he's too good to argue with anyone who disagrees with you, as long as you don't deem them to be an expert. The only opinions you seem to want to hear are those of experts, and those who agree with you. You often refuse to engage with anyone else, and just look down your nose at them, instead of clarifying your position, which you seem to think is just a waste of time.

For an expert you sure hate showing off your expertise and prefer to bounce from subject to subject, seeking out cheerleaders and dismissing everyone else. Try being more like Smitty and actually showing off your expertise and engaging in good faith, instead of simply retreating behind a logical fallacy for once.
*yip*

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat May 11, 2019 2:48 pm

I also like being personally insulted though I don't remember insulting you? Why is that, I wonder?

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 11, 2019 2:52 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:48 pm
I also like being personally insulted though I don't remember insulting you? Why is that, I wonder?
I am insulting your argument, not your expertise. Besides I insult all my friends, don't take it personally.

I am not a chick who blows sunshine up your ass and talks smack behind your back, I talk smack to your face, and say nice things about you behind your back, like a man. Deal with it, man up and stop whining about a little trash talk, like a woman.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat May 11, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat May 11, 2019 2:53 pm

StCapps wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:52 pm
Martin Hash wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:48 pm
I am insulting your argument, not your expertise. Besides I insult all my friends, don't take it personally.

I am not a chick who blows sunshine up your ass and talks smack behind your back, I talk smack to your face, and say nice things about you behind your back, like a man.
Peace

p.s. But I'm still the biggest fucking general AUTHORITY in the world.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 11, 2019 2:54 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:53 pm
But I'm still the biggest fucking general AUTHORITY in the world.
Never said you weren't, I simply said that this being the case, isn't a mic drop in every argument that you refuse to share your expertise in on this forum, beyond a brief soundbite or catchy phrase. You just seem to think it is for some odd reason.

You never seem to want to talk in depth about any subject you are an expert on, at least on this forum, especially if someone shows up and disagrees with you, and it would be nice if you did that a little more often, just saying.
*yip*

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Sat May 11, 2019 4:42 pm

My communication style is pretty abrupt for most people’s taste: 1 fact at a time, at most 3, but 1 is best. I lose interest after the 2nd paragraph of text, often after the first. Actually, I think most people are like that.

p.s. I have to force myself to read StA’s posts. If they weren’t good, I wouldn’t even bother, but they usually are good.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Sat May 11, 2019 6:44 pm

DrYouth wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 4:22 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 2:28 pm
So now we admit climatologists are the ones who know best?
Halle-fucking-lujah.
:lol:

Well played.
Not really. Now we have to delve in to who is paying whom to say what given that none of us know shit about the subject and have to rely upon others. Who to trust? Those guys aren't working for free and many a prophecies of doom have already fallen short, so why are these newest ones any better? Have you looked into water vapor and how it is incorporated to the models? :think: