Re: Climate Denier Hard To Refute

Post by StCapps » Sat May 11, 2019 12:20 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:08 am
StCapps wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:03 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:49 pm

Says the man who claims to be the authority on what TV to watch.
That's not why you should listen to me though. It's the strength of my opinions that makes me an authority on TV, not the strength of my authority that makes my opinions worth listening to. The argument is more important than the person making it, and it's on that basis that you should judge my TV expertise.
Exactly the reason I take the word of a climatologist over you.
The Wire has several glaring flaws by the way.
What are these glaring flaws you speak of? The show isn't perfect, but it's easily one of the top 3 tv dramas of all time.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 am

Real data like rising temperatures, sea ice and glaciers disappearing at unprecedented rates and sea levels rising.
That kind of real data?
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 11, 2019 12:31 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:21 am
Real data like rising temperatures, sea ice and glaciers disappearing at unprecedented rates and sea levels rising.
That kind of real data?
Sea levels aren't rising as fast as projected, the ice isn't melting anywhere near as fast as they claim and several areas are more covered in ice despite claims of imminent melting. That kind of real data?
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat May 11, 2019 12:31 am

StCapps wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:20 am
Montegriffo wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:03 am
That's not why you should listen to me though. It's the strength of my opinions that makes me an authority on TV, not the strength of my authority that makes my opinions worth listening to. The argument is more important than the person making it, and it's on that basis that you should judge my TV expertise.
What are these glaring flaws you speak of? The show isn't perfect, but it's easily one of the top 3 tv dramas of all time.
The one that bugged me the most was the junkie informant driving around the hood with the two cops not caring who saw them. That was ridiculous. Same with the cops being able to camp out on the roofs of buildings with long lensed cameras and tripods never getting spotted.
We"re supposed to believe that the crim's have full control of the block with observers everywhere yet they never spot these two examples.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 11, 2019 12:40 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:31 am
StCapps wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

The one that bugged me the most was the junkie informant driving around the hood with the two cops not caring who saw them. That was ridiculous. Same with the cops being able to camp out on the roofs of buildings with long lensed cameras and tripods never getting spotted.
We"re supposed to believe that the crim's have full control of the block with observers everywhere yet they never spot these two examples.
Those are not glaring flaws, those are minor nitpicks. The drug dealers from the very beginning are taking precautions to not get caught doing business on camera, they just get sloppy sometimes.

Bubbles being a snitch and other characters knowing it, has consequences throughout the show, and usually when Bubbles was driving around with McNulty and/or Greggs, they weren't doing that near prying eyes, so not really ridiculous at all.
Last edited by StCapps on Sat May 11, 2019 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat May 11, 2019 12:40 am

StCapps wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
That kind of real data?
Sea levels aren't rising as fast as projected, the ice isn't melting anywhere near as fast as they claim and several areas are more covered in ice despite claims of imminent melting. That kind of real data?
The ice is disappearing at alarming rates at the North pole which is observable fact.
Higher temperatures means more water vapour in the air which accounts for increased snowfall in some areas but doesn't counter the fact that ice is melting at increased rates and whole areas of continental ice shelves are breaking off in the Antarctic.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 11, 2019 12:42 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:40 am
StCapps wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:
That kind of real data?
The ice is disappearing at alarming rates at the North pole which is observable fact.
Higher temperatures means more water vapour in the air which accounts for increased snowfall in some areas but doesn't counter the fact that ice is melting at increased rates and whole areas of continental ice shelves are breaking off in the Antarctic.
The ice is increasing at "alarming" rates at the South pole, which is observable fact. The Antarctic isn't losing ice, it's gaining ice and more ice has been gained in the South than lost in the North. Ice shelves break off from time to time, that isn't proof the antarctic is losing ice at "unprecedented rates". The sea level rises have been extremely minimal, and the projections of catastrophic sea level rising proven completely ridiculous.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat May 11, 2019 12:48 am

StCapps wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:40 am
Montegriffo wrote:
StCapps wrote:
Those are not glaring flaws, those are minor nitpicks. The drug dealers from the very beginning are taking precautions to not get caught doing business on camera, they just get sloppy sometimes.

Bubbles being a snitch and other characters knowing it, has consequences throughout the show, and usually when Bubbles was driving around with McNulty and/or Greggs, they weren't doing that near prying eyes, so not really ridiculous at all.
Then there's the crim's thinking that using the same public payphones all the time is somehow more secure than mobile phones.
Also Omar being allowed to get away with murder. No good cop is ever going to allow that to happen.

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Sat May 11, 2019 1:05 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 12:48 am
Then there's the crim's thinking that using the same public payphones all the time is somehow more secure than mobile phones.
Also Omar being allowed to get away with murder. No good cop is ever going to allow that to happen.
That is addressed later in the show, they start using cellphones for just that reason. Coincidentally right around the time cellphone technology improved. You aren't factoring in that the first season takes place in 2002, not 2019.

They have no proof Omar did it, or they would have nailed him to the wall. Also they need him to testify against Bird for a far more politically important murder, that they do have evidence for. The point is that the cops in the show aren't paragons of virtue, in case you couldn't tell.
*yip*

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat May 11, 2019 1:22 am

Oh they knew. They just turned a blind eye because it suited them.
Something a good cop would never do.