Fake News

pineapplemike

Re: Fake News

Post by pineapplemike » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:14 am

WaPo places story on Kavanaugh returning to coach girls basketball in 'public safety' section
https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4186 ... -in-public

lol, keep it classy bezos

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:19 pm

LOL

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:41 pm

pineapplemike wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:19 pm
LOL

Audibly lol'd

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:24 pm

I really like the phrase lying press instead of fake news. People rarely say lying anymore they say stuff like "exaggerating" and " embellishing". Especially when young teens are involved. Most 9th or 10th graders do not know what diligence or industriousness mean either. We are embarking on a near future course where most people in the U.S. honestly do not speak the same language. All the information in the world and no ability to understand words and meanings.
The good, the true, & the beautiful

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 pm

GloryofGreece wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:24 pm
I really like the phrase lying press instead of fake news. People rarely say lying anymore they say stuff like "exaggerating" and " embellishing". Especially when young teens are involved. Most 9th or 10th graders do not know what diligence or industriousness mean either. We are embarking on a near future course where most people in the U.S. honestly do not speak the same language. All the information in the world and no ability to understand words and meanings.
I blame teachers.
:twisted:

:lol:
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:01 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:18 pm
GloryofGreece wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:24 pm
I blame teachers.
:twisted:

:lol:
I do my duty as a History teacher as best I can. Fortunately or unfortunately (depending on your perspective) there is no real way to measure If they learned those things from me and anything else for that matter.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Why is there no way to tell? Is it like Seattle/King County? Did your are specifically pass legislation forbidding teachers to be evaluated on the performance of their students or any other meaningful metric? Did that, in turn, lead to a police-state like fervor on behalf of school officials to make sure students never missed a day because "attendence" was the only metric the teacher's union forgot to include in their list of shit they can't be measured on?

Or is your area more hard-scrabble, and still holding educators to some kind of performance-based metrics, just not student performance?
:think:

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:50 am

DBTrek wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:22 pm
Why is there no way to tell? Is it like Seattle/King County? Did your are specifically pass legislation forbidding teachers to be evaluated on the performance of their students or any other meaningful metric? Did that, in turn, lead to a police-state like fervor on behalf of school officials to make sure students never missed a day because "attendence" was the only metric the teacher's union forgot to include in their list of shit they can't be measured on?

Or is your area more hard-scrabble, and still holding educators to some kind of performance-based metrics, just not student performance?
:think:
Its hard to tell quantifiably who or what was mostly responsible for the student's tested knowledge. Was it the teacher that gets the credit, the family, the dad, the kid himself etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:00 am

GloryofGreece wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:50 am
Its hard to tell quantifiably who or what was mostly responsible for the student's tested knowledge. Was it the teacher that gets the credit, the family, the dad, the kid himself etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.
We may not know who is most responsible for educating the student ... but we do know who draws a paycheck for the task of educating the student, right?

So it doesn’t seem outlandish to me to use student test performance to evaluate the person acquiring wealth from educating students.

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:03 am

DBTrek wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:00 am
GloryofGreece wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:50 am
We may not know who is most responsible for educating the student ... but we do know who draws a paycheck for the task of educating the student, right?

So it doesn’t seem outlandish to me to use student test performance to evaluate the person acquiring wealth from educating students.
Its not outlandish. Never said a test was. It can be used as one metric. Maybe one among 5-6 would be reasonable. But only if they were all genuinely being used and not simply one.