Time Travel Proven Possible

Penner

Re: Time Travel Proven Possible

Post by Penner » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:33 pm

BERLIN (AP) — Scientists have used a laser to tickle atoms of antimatter and make them shine, a key step toward answering one of the great riddles of the universe.

Theory predicts that the Big Bang produced equal amounts of matter and antimatter. Since they cancel each other out, scientists have been trying to find out why a relatively small amount of matter remained — allowing the stars, planets and ultimately life as we know it to come about — and antimatter vanished.

It took researchers at the European Organization for Nuclear Research, or CERN, decades to figure out how to create an antimatter version of the most basic atom — hydrogen — and trap it for long enough to perform tests.

In a paper published online Monday by the journal Nature, they reported the first cautious result from an experiment with antihydrogen. It turns out that when it's stimulated with a laser, antihydrogen appears to produce light on the same ultraviolet frequency as its nemesis in the world of matter, hydrogen.
http://www.thehour.com/news/science/art ... 805996.php

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:41 pm

Huh...

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:45 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I still don't believe in antimatter or dark matter. I've always thought it more possible they are balancing an equation with something made up to make it balance.
You're thinking of the Federal Reserve.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:53 pm

I don't spend much time thinking about money. I don't care who controls the money as long as I get to make the laws.

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:55 pm

Screw interstellar travel, what about intergalatic.....and yes, there are a lot of theories about working warp drives, but they all require ridiculous amounts of energy.....even with a .9999 FTL Em drive, it would still take too much time to travel to the nearest star to make it worth while...

While I believe FTL is most likely possible, there's the chance that the amount of energy to do so may make it unfeasible.....as Steven Hawkins has quipped: Where the fuck is E.T.? Pretty damming evidence that FTL is not possible, unless you believe in MIB, that we're one of the earliest species, or in the Prime Directive.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:04 pm

We're way out on the edge of an arm of a spiral galaxy. I'm sure interplanetary travel happens but we just haven't met anyone yet. If any of them have FTL there's a good chance even then that they haven't noticed us yet. As far as intergalactic travel goes I suppose you would need a gravity well large enough to tear space/time and a good way to do that is to use super massive garavith wells that already exist.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:10 pm

Zlaxer wrote:Screw interstellar travel, what about intergalatic.....and yes, there are a lot of theories about working warp drives, but they all require ridiculous amounts of energy.....even with a .9999 FTL Em drive, it would still take too much time to travel to the nearest star to make it worth while...

While I believe FTL is most likely possible, there's the chance that the amount of energy to do so may make it unfeasible.....as Steven Hawkins has quipped: Where the fuck is E.T.? Pretty damming evidence that FTL is not possible, unless you believe in MIB, that we're one of the earliest species, or in the Prime Directive.
Get out of your box, counselor.

Level up.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:14 pm

Never cared for Fermi's paradox as an answer. I don't believe life is as scarce as he maintains and I also believe that sentient life is much rarer than he maintains. You can't just have a planet with the right mix of sources pop up in a Goldilocks zone you also need a moon that controls the tide, a magnetosphere, a comet catching gas giant or two or three and a star that doesn't blow up in your face. The odds of our existence actually strain the limits of credibility. Fermi's paradox is an unnecessary but thought provoking formula.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:20 pm

So you, Senor homo sapiens, is the only possible answer to "what is intelligent life?"

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 23, 2016 2:26 pm

Life probably doesn't need as much as we think it does to exist. It's very likely seeded throughout the galaxy on barren ice rocks getting bombarded with radiation imho. Complex life requires complex environments and the level of complexity our species exhibits is approaching mathematical impossibility if not exceeding it. That is unless you are some kind of new age eastern mystery religion guru that maintains even the rocks are sentient.