Time Travel Proven Possible

Zlaxer

Re: Time Travel Proven Possible

Post by Zlaxer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:02 pm

Time travel is ok......but the future will suck if FTL isn't possible.

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:25 pm

Zlaxer wrote:Time travel is ok......but the future will suck if FTL isn't possible.

Warp dive!

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:39 pm

Penner wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Penner wrote:Image
#10 will always be The Doctor to me. Everybody since has been a sad impression. That was a genius performance.
I loved watching David Tennant play the Doctor but I haven't finished watching all of the 11# (Matt Smith's Doctor) yet, but I am just not feeling the same with him. I know that each Doctor has a different personality but I am just not really liking Smith's character. It feels like they want you to like him so bad....
That, and they changed writers when 11 came in. Russel T. Davies retired, and Steven Moffat took over. Since then, it's been dogshit, in my humble opinion. :( That show peaked, and then it was over.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:47 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Penner wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
#10 will always be The Doctor to me. Everybody since has been a sad impression. That was a genius performance.
I loved watching David Tennant play the Doctor but I haven't finished watching all of the 11# (Matt Smith's Doctor) yet, but I am just not feeling the same with him. I know that each Doctor has a different personality but I am just not really liking Smith's character. It feels like they want you to like him so bad....
That, and they changed writers when 11 came in. Russel T. Davies retired, and Steven Moffat took over. Since then, it's been dogshit, in my humble opinion. :( That show peaked, and then it was over.
It's just when you have a Doctor who claims he can speak "baby", that was when I decided to clock out. I do want to go back and watch more- apparently, the 12th Doctor (I heard) is a bit better. Although, for me now, it has become about his companies more so than the actual Doctor (and it's his show).

That being said, I did like the story arc that involved those aliens that would erase your memories. It was actually kind of genuine creepy but the fact that they had Amy's baby be a part of that was a bit long-winded (and yeah, I know it turns out to be River Song but still, did they have to put such an effort into her being a kid?). It was also nice to hear American characters with actual American accents (unlike that episode where they went to future doomed Mars colony and the only American there sounded way to British- and the put in his file that he was from Iowa!).

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:59 pm

Zlaxer wrote:Time travel is ok......but the future will suck if FTL isn't possible.

WTF?

It would seem the EM drive has been vindicated. You don't need magic. You have a good drive right there that could get you all over the galaxy in no time (shipboard time, anyway).

FTL is only a thing because not-so-great SF writers wanted to be able to have characters fly around the universe without relativistic effects. FTL is magic injected into SF because some writers failed to adapt their plot accordingly.

If you travel to another star, time is going to progress very fast on Earth compared to you, which is a good thing.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:22 pm

FTL is only a thing because not-so-great SF writers wanted to be able to have characters fly around the universe without relativistic effects. FTL is magic injected into SF because some writers failed to adapt their plot accordingly.
No because wormholes.

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:25 pm

Warp drive in Star Trek works by annihilating matter (in the form of deuterium, a kind of hydrogen gas) and antimatter in a fusion reaction mediated by dilithium crystals. This produces the enormous power required to warp space-time and drive the ship faster than light
https://www.google.com/#q=how+does+warp+drive+work

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:28 pm

8-) :ugeek: :geek:

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:29 pm

I still don't believe in antimatter or dark matter. I've always thought it more possible they are balancing an equation with something made up to make it balance.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:32 pm

Penner wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Penner wrote:Image
Tom Baker for me......
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.