Public School Education System Thread

Smitty-48

Re: Public School Education System Thread

Post by Smitty-48 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:30 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:The one person that I know to have gone to a "Christian" university was a straight A student. She is also a fucking moron.
The Catholic school students here all test higher than their non-catholic counterparts, 20 of the top 30 high schools in Ontario are Catholic, number one is St. Michael's in Toronto.

Same here. By a pretty wide margin.
St. Mikes also has the best hockey program, 203 students have made it to the NHL, 14 to the Hockey Hall of Fame.
Nec Aspera Terrent

apeman

Post by apeman » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:31 pm

Fife wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
KerningChameleon wrote:Free market isn't a panacea, folks.
Nobody ever said freedom was a panacea, it is what you make of it, but at least it is you who decides, and not some Commie Cat Face Chairman Meow deciding for you.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:32 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
The Catholic school students here all test higher than their non-catholic counterparts, 20 of the top 30 high schools in Ontario are Catholic, number one is St. Michael's in Toronto.

She was very, very good at math. But no real knowledge, or critical thinking skills.

The actual data does not support the premise behind your anecdote.
Religiously affiliated students had a mean score of 532 in math, 537 in reading and 525 in writing compared to the public school mean score of 487 in math, 494 in reading and 472 in writing. The national mean score is 494 for math, 508 for reading and 482 for writing.

Catholic schools comprise 22.3 percent of private schools, yet enroll 42.9 percent of the private school population. More than 46 percent of private schools are other religious schools enrolling 37.3 percent of the students in nonpublic schools.
https://www.ncea.org/NCEA/Proclaim/News ... _Tsts.aspx

Government schools are passing students who are functionally illiterate. Let's start with that.
Author Beth Fertig says that as many as 20 percent of American adults may be functionally illiterate. They may recognize letters and words, but can't read directions on a bus sign or a medicine bottle, read or write a letter, or hold most any job. Her new book, Why cant U teach me 2 read, follows three young New Yorkers who legally challenged the New York City public schools for failing to teach them how to read — and won. Host Scott Simon talks to Fertig about her book.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... =121374125

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:36 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Kath wrote:I believe abolishing the federal dept of education would be the second greatest gift we could give to our children. (The first being not giving them giant piles of debt the day they are born.)

School should be local, and if Bumfuck, OK wants to teach their kids that god is everything and no other science knowledge is needed, let them. Sure, it's a different problem, but to continue to pretend that education is one-size-fits-all is doing nothing but wasting money & minds.
Now this response surprises me, because I understand you to be somewhat socially liberal. You're ok with raising a huge number of our citizens in absolute belief of 'righteousness' to be imposed upon the rest?
The HUGE number of people in OK?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:37 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:

She was very, very good at math. But no real knowledge, or critical thinking skills.

Religiously affiliated students had a mean score of 532 in math, 537 in reading and 525 in writing compared to the public school mean score of 487 in math, 494 in reading and 472 in writing. The national mean score is 494 for math, 508 for reading and 482 for writing.

Catholic schools comprise 22.3 percent of private schools, yet enroll 42.9 percent of the private school population. More than 46 percent of private schools are other religious schools enrolling 37.3 percent of the students in nonpublic schools.
No denying that they can learn the TEM in STEM. None at all. But a real education consists of much, much more important things than that.
Unless you're turning out serfs for the corporate lords, of course, which they are.

Government schools are passing students who are functionally illiterate. Let's start with that.
Author Beth Fertig says that as many as 20 percent of American adults may be functionally illiterate. They may recognize letters and words, but can't read directions on a bus sign or a medicine bottle, read or write a letter, or hold most any job. Her new book, Why cant U teach me 2 read, follows three young New Yorkers who legally challenged the New York City public schools for failing to teach them how to read — and won. Host Scott Simon talks to Fertig about her book.

That is disgusting, and a real issue, I agree. What do you find as the cause?
Last edited by SuburbanFarmer on Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:38 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Kath wrote:I believe abolishing the federal dept of education would be the second greatest gift we could give to our children. (The first being not giving them giant piles of debt the day they are born.)

School should be local, and if Bumfuck, OK wants to teach their kids that god is everything and no other science knowledge is needed, let them. Sure, it's a different problem, but to continue to pretend that education is one-size-fits-all is doing nothing but wasting money & minds.
Now this response surprises me, because I understand you to be somewhat socially liberal. You're ok with raising a huge number of our citizens in absolute belief of 'righteousness' to be imposed upon the rest?
The HUGE number of people in OK?
I believe you'll find that TX, NE, and a few other Bible Belt states have been reaching for similar measures. The DoE is the ONLY institution holding back the tide of Stupid in large portions of the nation (so far as I'm aware, feel free to correct me).

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:39 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

No denying that they can learn the TEM in STEM. None at all. But a real education consists of much, much more important things than that.
Unless you're turning out serfs for the corporate lords, of course, which they are.

That is disgusting, and a real issue, I agree. What do you find as the cause?

Well, aside from your feels, the actual metrics we possess on the matter show religious schools vastly outperforming government schools, and government schools actually passing a significant number of illiterate students, depriving them of a meaningful economic future, and resulting in several high-profile court battles (in which the government school districts lost).

The cause is a combination of marxism controlling the government school system and teachers unions using children as a money grab.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:42 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:Well, aside from your feels, the actual metrics we possess on the matter show religious schools vastly outperforming government schools, and government schools actually passing a significant number of illiterate students, depriving them of a meaningful economic future, and resulting in several high-profile court battles (in which the government school districts lost).
No feels here. As I said: I can't deny that they're very good schools for the TEM in STEM.

But that does not an education make.

How much do you actually retain from your final 4 years of school - whatever level it was? How much of that is STEM, and how much is philosophy, critical thought, and the ability to reason?

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:43 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
I'm also very fiscally conservative. Public education isn't achieving what we are paying for it to achieve. I've had two boys go through public school system, now. It's a joke. You can literally graduate from HS without ever having passed a math test. I'm not joking.

When no 18 year old from an OK school can get into college because they failed the SATs, OK may scratch its' head an wonder what's up. Derr... why are all our kids failing the science section? What'd we miss?

Account abandoned.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:44 pm

Kath wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:
I'm also very fiscally conservative. Public education isn't achieving what we are paying for it to achieve. I've had two boys go through public school system, now. It's a joke. You can literally graduate from HS without ever having passed a math test. I'm not joking.

When no 18 year old from an OK school can get into college because they failed the SATs, OK may scratch its' head an wonder what's up. Derr... why are all our kids failing the science section? What'd we miss?

Ahh, I see now. So you're willing to allow Darwinian education to play out over a generation or so, for the system to correct itself?

That's hardcore.... I like it, but I have kids...

Formerly GrumpyCatFace