Does anyone on this forum actually care about Syria?

Montegriffo

Re: Does anyone on this forum actually care about Syria?

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:04 am

AndrewBennett wrote:No, I don't care.

I was pissed when ISIS destroyed Palmyra but otherwise its just the latest chapter in an area that's been wiping each other out since before written history
No more true than saying Europe has been in constant conflict for all time :facepalm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_of_Syria
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:28 pm

I care as much about Syrian civilians as I do American civilians who are not members of this forum or the old DCF. The headlines have the same impact: "X number of foreign people bombed to bits in foreign city" only really prompts one empathic feeling: "Hey, did any of the people at the DCF live in that city?". I can relate to people, not to peoples. Can't talk to peoples. No one can.

I do care about the loss of historical legacy. The old archaeological sites, old churches and monastaries, mosques. And it is a shame that there are historical peoples that, in all likelihood, will never ever return to that region despite having lived there for millenia. But that's a bemourning an entirely abstract "relationship" to cultural-historical groups in their capacity of being living history, instead of living, breathing individuals.
Last edited by BjornP on Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:31 pm

Montegriffo wrote:

I was pissed when ISIS destroyed Palmyra but otherwise its just the latest chapter in an area that's been wiping each other out since before written history
No more true than saying Europe has been in constant conflict for all time :facepalm:

Not worth my tax dollars, how about yours?
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:50 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

No one is asking you to pay more tax, only if you care about the people suffering. Try again.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:56 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:If the Syrians warranted much, they wouldn't have fled in the hundreds of thousands when the opposition was at it's strongest and taking territory. They're too interested in European welfare and raping white women. Fuck 'em.
So let me get this right. When Syrians were being butchered man ,woman and child you are pissed because they didn't stay around to be killed? You think the motive for leaving their homes and nation was to go to Europe to rape and claim welfare.
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU?

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:06 pm

Syrians were actually being tossed into bread kneading machines. Yes there is something wrong with you if you are a fighting age male fleeing the country.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:15 pm

http://www.encyclopediavirginia.org/Ref ... tart_entry

Those were all cowards, Okee? If you lived in a country embroiled in a civil war where you could not support any of the sides fighting in the war.... then who are you supposed to pick up a rifle against and who are you supposed to pick up a rifle for?
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:18 pm

The people not taking a stand are cowards. Why does everyone redirect their PC bull shit at other people when I'm the one saying the shit? I will never get this. On the old forum DSL took a lot of shit for things I said. Me. Direct your criticism at me ffs.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:19 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

No one is asking you to pay more tax, only if you care about the people suffering. Try again.
Unfortunately, living in the country that is Team America World Police means that if people are suffering my tax dollars are going to be spent to attempt to alleviate that suffering and ultimately make it worse.

Beyond that, I don't really care about people suffering if it doesn't affect me personally. Suffering is a required condition of human experience, it never has and never will go away.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:20 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Syrians were actually being tossed into bread kneading machines. Yes there is something wrong with you if you are a fighting age male fleeing the country.
Nothing new, the Albanians (or some other Balkan flavor) put Jews through the complete processing at a slaughterhouse