The FCC and Net Neutrality

Dand

Re: The FCC and Net Neutrality

Post by Dand » Fri May 19, 2017 1:30 pm

How can you say "this is what caused the FCC to implement net neutrality even though they didn't want to"?

"Net neutrality" (a marketing term) means that all packets will be treated identically, right? That hasn't happened.

Treating all data exactly the same is a ridiculous goal but that's because it isn't the real goal. Net neutrality is about government control of the internet to ensure the big cable companies' monopoly while also adding to the surveilance state's power.

And if you really believe that Comcast is slowing down your Netflix streams then switch to a different ISP. The pro-net neutrality argument always boils down to "muh netflix".

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Fri May 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Dand wrote:How can you say "this is what caused the FCC to implement net neutrality even though they didn't want to"?
Idk, maybe because I was aware of why net-neutrality came about as an issue in the first place?
"Net neutrality" (a marketing term) means that all packets will be treated identically, right? That hasn't happened.
Yes, all packets are treated equally.
Treating all data exactly the same is a ridiculous goal but that's because it isn't the real goal. Net neutrality is about government control of the internet to ensure the big cable companies' monopoly while also adding to the surveilance state's power.
How? Don't make a claim without backing up how that claim is true. I honestly have no idea how the two ideas of net-neutrality and government surveillance even equate to each other.
And if you really believe that Comcast is slowing down your Netflix streams then switch to a different ISP. The pro-net neutrality argument always boils down to "muh netflix".
I didn't believe Comcast was slowing down Netflix. I knew Comcast was slowing down my Netflix because they were slowing down everyone's Netflix, and this was reported on. I'm not making shit up. This is a factual event that happened, and was widely reported on.

As far as switching I covered that already. Where I lived at the time I literally had no other choice. As in my choices were Comcast or not internet at all. I could not switch to another ISP because no other ISP serviced that area (I did look into other options). No other ISP serviced that area because Comcast has an exclusive right to service that area. A large portion of the US only has one broadband provider, the vast majority have 2 or less options. In almost every case it is impossible for a competitor to come into a market and lay new cable because the government has made it illegal for them to do that without a permit, and they are not able to give a permit because they have made exclusive deals with an ISP already.

This has nothing to do with "muh netflix", Netflix vs Comcast is just a high profile case where not having net-neutrality hurt end users, and was used by Comcast to extort Netflix I just happened to be affected by it. This has to do with being informed on the topic, and doing research on the topic. This isn't just a hobby for me, as an IT manager and programmer this is a highly relevant subject. I need to know this information, I am an expert on this subject.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri May 19, 2017 2:31 pm

Libertarians, everybody..

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri May 19, 2017 2:34 pm

Big government is surely the only protection we can hope for! They are always on our side.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri May 19, 2017 3:14 pm

What do you think big corporations are??

Do you think they share everything you do with the IC just because?

There is no definitive boundary between big corps and government.

Putting the control in the hands of the FCC at least gives us oversight and some public influence. This is a victory for big government, you dummies.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri May 19, 2017 3:25 pm

Corporations do own the government but they are a long way from locking me up for wrong think. You would rather just skip a step and let the unelected FCC decide how to handle the internet. Big mistake!

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:34 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Corporations do own the government but they are a long way from locking me up for wrong think. You would rather just skip a step and let the unelected FCC decide how to handle the internet. Big mistake!
Or we could just let the corporations decide what you can see based on their profits. At least in theory, the government is suppose to work for you. Big Biz is just trying screw as much money as they can out of you. So the choice of poisons is Bad, or Worse, and that is what we have. I'm choosing what I think is Bad, not that I like it.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri May 19, 2017 3:35 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Corporations do own the government but they are a long way from locking me up for wrong think. You would rather just skip a step and let the unelected FCC decide how to handle the internet. Big mistake!

Other way around the money flows from the IC to the applied tech division of every major American tech company. If you ever work for one these divisions you will realize the boundary is practI call nonexistent. Even the corporate executives have no idea what goes on in some cases.

It's all glued together by the SCI clearance system.

If the FCC loses this authority, we are very likely going to slowly lose the ability to dissent online. I mean.. you will be free to publish that content, but people won't easily access it. They already are clamping down via social networks.

We need this controlled by a civilian regulatory body that is at least a little responsive to popular input and public interest. What we will get instead is the unholy alliance of the IC and big corps wanting to stifle competition.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Fri May 19, 2017 3:38 pm

Yeah well corporations aren't immune to censorship. I argue they have that right. Not my government. The FCC's job (well part of it,) is literally censorship. Nah pass. I mean they will get their way soon enough anyway because a bunch of mop heads are running around thinking the government still has our interests on anything but at least now I have time to backup some things before the shuttening.

Anyway just do a google search of FCC news. Just take a look at who is shilling for them. Yes, the very same libshit MSM. What a surprise.

Penner

Post by Penner » Fri May 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Here are two videos on Net Neutrality: