The FCC and Net Neutrality

Penner

Re: The FCC and Net Neutrality

Post by Penner » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:13 pm

Cascul wrote:It is going to be a little crazy, since there is a lot of money on both sides. Old media vs internet companies.

I wouldn't mind it being a utility controlled regionally.
Personally, if it's a utility I would like it to be provided (ideally) from the local governments than big business.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:28 pm

Penner wrote:
Cascul wrote:It is going to be a little crazy, since there is a lot of money on both sides. Old media vs internet companies.

Personally, if it's a utility I would like it to be provided (ideally) from the local governments than big business.
I would prefer this as well, but even our other essential utilities (power, gas, garbage) are all provided by private companies that hold monopolies. Only water seems to be an actual district.

The whole favored monopoly paradigm we have right now is a disaster
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Penner

Post by Penner » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:57 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:
Penner wrote:

I would prefer this as well, but even our other essential utilities (power, gas, garbage) are all provided by private companies that hold monopolies. Only water seems to be an actual district.

The whole favored monopoly paradigm we have right now is a disaster
Isn't most companies that work for local government bids on the job/position? I do know that local governments can be corrupt (like how our current government is corrupt) but there are usually bids for companies and the lowest bidder wins.

Cid

Post by Cid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:57 am

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016 ... -was-hard/
"I hope that if there is legislation, that it is net neutrality in more than name," and "not some kind of false labeling where net neutrality rules are actually gutted under the name of being net neutrality," Wheeler said.

The Title II reclassification was criticized by ISPs who claimed it would hinder investment, although a Comcast executive recently admitted things haven't turned out so bad.
"Chairman Wheeler’s mantra from the beginning of his tenure has been ‘competition, competition, competition’ and he should be proud that American consumers are enjoying the benefits of today’s vibrant and highly competitive video and broadband sectors," NCTA CEO Michael Powell (a former FCC chairman himself under President George W. Bush) said in the group's statement.
Wheeler had a good read on this, again I am very happy he was a public servant against his former employers. I'm glad he bought in to the "competition" mantra rather than the "Competition=Collusion" status quo.

I think the left and the right will miss Wheeler, and if Red Team makes this an arena of battle, then all of the chicken littles on the internet talking about government censorship won't have to wait. Twitter, Comcast (which owns NBC) will be manipulating anything and everything to their advantage. And sure, a lot of it is content they provide, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone on these boards that isn't on a service provided by a major cable or mobile provider.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:33 am

Cid wrote: And sure, a lot of it is content they provide, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone on these boards that isn't on a service provided by a major cable or mobile provider.
I use CenturyLink DSL service.. I'm sure that quite a few others use DSL of some sort.

It's running on the ancient copper phone lines, installed by MaBall across the country, rather than coaxial cable. Not beholden to any cable or media companies..
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:17 am

GrumpyCatFace wrote:
Cid wrote: And sure, a lot of it is content they provide, but you'd be hard pressed to find someone on these boards that isn't on a service provided by a major cable or mobile provider.
I use CenturyLink DSL service.. I'm sure that quite a few others use DSL of some sort.

It's running on the ancient copper phone lines, installed by MaBall across the country, rather than coaxial cable. Not beholden to any cable or media companies..
Too bad most people don't have CenturyLink as an option.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:21 am

TheOneX wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:

Too bad most people don't have CenturyLink as an option.
Not that specific company, but every house has a phone line. You almost certainly have a DSL option available in your area, unless you're quite far out of range from the nearest switching box.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Cid

Post by Cid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:25 am

You haven't been paying attention.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... one-lines/
Verizon has told its field technicians in Pennsylvania that they can be fired if they try to fix broken copper phone lines. Instead, employees must try to replace copper lines with a device that connects to Verizon Wireless’s cell phone network.
And centurylink just bought Level 3, making them more competitive with AT&T and Verizon, but obviously reducing diversity nationally. It isn't like Comcast started out producing news and Verizon handles cable now as well.

Copper is going to get shitcanned. Its increasingly expensive to maintain because the returns on it are shit. Doesn't mean you'll get fiber any time soon, it means you'll get "gigabit" wireless. Even google's initiatives are stalling, and they can still basically piss money and not run dry.

Also, beeteedubs, why would Verizon do that? Because they avoid the line charges from telco taxes that date back a century, but then also control a closed system they are not beholden to open up. No legislation on your frankencell box hooked up to your house, that's Verizon's property, you're just leasing it. Guess how much in savings is passed on to customers! No answer? That is correct!

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:30 am

Cid wrote:You haven't been paying attention.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... one-lines/
Verizon has told its field technicians in Pennsylvania that they can be fired if they try to fix broken copper phone lines. Instead, employees must try to replace copper lines with a device that connects to Verizon Wireless’s cell phone network.
And centurylink just bought Level 3, making them more competitive with AT&T and Verizon, but obviously reducing diversity nationally. It isn't like Comcast started out producing news and Verizon handles cable now as well.

Copper is going to get shitcanned. Its increasingly expensive to maintain because the returns on it are shit. Doesn't mean you'll get fiber any time soon, it means you'll get "gigabit" wireless. Even google's initiatives are stalling, and they can still basically piss money and not run dry.

Also, beeteedubs, why would Verizon do that? Because they avoid the line charges from telco taxes that date back a century, but then also control a closed system they are not beholden to open up. No legislation on your frankencell box hooked up to your house, that's Verizon's property, you're just leasing it. Guess how much in savings is passed on to customers! No answer? That is correct!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: "savings passed on to customers". I'm pretty sure that's never happened anywhere, ever, but it's one of the greatest "I'm fucking you" tells of all time.

This was a gem:
The wireless home phone service, VoiceLink, is not a proper replacement for copper phone lines because it doesn’t work with security alarms, fax machines, medical devices such as pacemakers that require telephone monitoring, and other services, the union said.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Cid

Post by Cid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 11:36 am

Oh Verizon has been doing everything it can to basically cordon off a physical fiefdom in the Northeast. Thankfully all the money is there so Comcast is willing to compete in a lot of markets, but you're fucked if you're off the beaten path. Comcast has gotten into it, they know whats what, and with Wheeler gone you kiss your municipal broadband goodbye. You better live in a super liberal state if you want to keep that shit.