Earth matters

Montegriffo

Re: Earth matters

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:49 pm

Aw man, what would the Arabs fuck then?
Joke.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:50 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Aw man, what would the Arabs fuck then?
Joke.
We could always just exterminate them.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:52 pm

Sorry, are we talking about Arabs or goats now?
If the former I think people are working on that already.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Fri Dec 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Sorry, are we talking about Arabs or goats now?
If the former I think people are working on that already.
True point.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:33 pm

Degenerated into banter around here so I'll try to get it back on course.
I just re-read one of Otern's posts and he made a point about importing animal feeds.
This brings up the subject of food miles. I love asparagus, I would eat it all the time but apart from when it is in season it comes here all the way from Peru ( sometimes even when it's in season FFS). Probably on an plane as it goes off very quickly. Is it time to lobby our governments to restrict this practise. Would the effects of the ending of this trade be a good thing for Peru as they could actually end up growing something that the locals could afford to eat themselves? Am I just talking a load of naive bollocks? No one word answers such as, no no yes, please.
Last edited by Montegriffo on Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Otern

Post by Otern » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:34 pm

Montegriffo wrote: Agreed, there is a lot of talk about eating burgers made from insects in the future as the input per gram of protein is far less than any other meat.
I do cook meat for others and even taste the sauces to make sure the seasoning is correct. I am pushing quite hard for the culling and eating of those imported deer varieties I mentioned earlier. I am happiest when serving wild game particularly when they are a pest species like rabbit (not strictly game but you know what I mean) People have almost completely stopped eating rabbits over here now and when posh restaurants use them they import fat farmed ones from France. I'd love to get people into eating Grey squirrels too but nobody can be bothered to trap them for the measly amount of meat you get on them.

Sorry for triggering you on whales earlier, I guess they were the poster boys for Greenpeace and the likes 30 years ago when we nearly pushed them over the top to extinction. I still like Greenpeace though and sinking the Rainbow warrior was a dirty fucking trick by French special forces in New Zealand which nearly had me forming a fleet to attack the old enemy. A man died too and as far as I know no one was ever prosecuted.
I like the idea of turning invasive species into food. But it will probably be too expensive for most people. And there's lots of invasive species that aren't really tasty, like the wolf and the raccoon dog.

I don't like the Greenpeace approach to nuclear power though. Germany is going to abandon their nuclear power soon. And while it's great that they manage to replace it with renewable energy, they're still reliant on coal. Coal power releases more radioactive waste than nuclear power, and that whole CO2 thing. Coal is cheaper than Uranium, but if they stuck to nuclear power, they could've managed to find a way to get Thorium reactors going. This could've replaced coal to a much larger degree than wind and solar power ever could.

ssu

Post by ssu » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:39 pm

Otern wrote:Germany is going to abandon their nuclear power soon. And while it's great that they manage to replace it with renewable energy, they're still reliant on coal.
But it's POLISH coal. So nothing to worry about, not added in the German statistics you know...

Otern

Post by Otern » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:45 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Degenerated into banter around here so I'll try to get it back on course.
I just re-read one of Otern's posts and he made a point about importing animal feeds.
This brings up the subject of food miles. I love asparagus, I would eat it all the time but apart from when it is in season it comes here all the way from Peru ( sometimes even when it's in season FFS). Probably on an plane as it goes off very quickly. Is it time to lobby our governments to restrict this practise. Would the effects of the ending of this trade be a good thing for Peru as they could actually end up growing something that the locals could afford to eat themselves? Am I just talking a load of naive bollocks? No one word answers such as, no no yes, please.
I don't know shit about Peruvian agriculture, so I have absolutely no idea.

Sad Dan closed down the forum, a Peruvian asparagus farmer lurking would probably answer this.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:51 pm

The Green movement flip flops back and forwards on nuclear power as I have myself. When you take into account the speed at which CO2 emissions are set to rise with the populations of developing countries demanding more energy and the developed countries dragging their feet on renewable sources I currently think it is the only way forward.However there is a huge but, bigger than JLO's butt, when it comes to safety. Building power stations near the coast in earthquake zones is about as dumb as it gets. Sticking nuclear waste in capsules under the ground till we work out how to deal with them is dumb. Plus you have the fact that Uranium is running out and at current consumption it could be all gone in 60 years.Once that runs out you might have to use Plutonium which is even more dangerous. So it's not too surprising that Greenpeace are against it and that I can't really make up my mind.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:54 pm

Otern wrote:
I don't know shit about Peruvian agriculture, so I have absolutely no idea.

Sad Dan closed down the forum, a Peruvian asparagus farmer lurking would probably answer this.
I was making a wider point about food miles really. I mean should we just let people do what they want to do and screw the consequences. Maybe a big import tax on asparagus with the proceeds going to Peru to help out with the loss of trade.