Is Angela Merkel Pivoting on Immigration?

Xenophon

Is Angela Merkel Pivoting on Immigration?

Post by Xenophon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:54 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/06/world ... .html?_r=0
In a clear nod to criticism that the state had appeared to lose control over its borders, the chancellor opened her 80-minute speech to the annual conference of her Christian Democratic Union with a promise that such a situation “cannot, may not and should not be repeated.”

But the biggest applause lines concerned law and order, including a promise that Shariah law would never replace German justice — a problem that has barely arisen but has been cast as a specter by the far-right party Alternative for Germany.

The loudest cheers came for her line on Shariah, followed by her statements on face coverings. “Here we say, ‘Show your face,’” Ms. Merkel told the party. “So full veiling is not appropriate here. It should be prohibited wherever legally possible.”
This seems like a hard pivot from her earlier position, although I may be misinterpreting German politics. Sounds to me like she's being pragmatic, rather than being dogmatic. Admitting that their border control is lax is a refreshing change of pace from the politicians of the Left, who prefer to plug their ears and scream at detractors.

TheReal_ND

Re: Is Angela Merkel Pivoting on Immigration?

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:57 pm

I didn't read the article but is she discussing anything less trivial than burqas?

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:06 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I didn't read the article but is she discussing anything less trivial than burqas?
She took a hard line against Sharia law and seems to be implying that she plans on strengthening border security.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:17 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:I didn't read the article but is she discussing anything less trivial than burqas?
She's trying to keep the far right out, not joining them.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:17 pm

They were appropriating funds to build a wall fifteen years ago. Just saying.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:20 pm

Yeah well everyone knows what a dumb idea walls are.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:22 pm

Israel doesn't seem to think so. Nor Hungary matter of fact.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:32 pm

Whist I agree Israel is a shinning light on some points, the wall is not one of their better ideas. Europe's Muslim refugees are not yet at the threat level of Hammas. Especially when you consider many of the terrorist atrocities have been committed by naturalised citizens not refugees or immigrants.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:06 pm

Yep.

ssu

Post by ssu » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:12 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
She's trying to keep the far right out, not joining them.
She has an election to win and finally has understood just from where the wind is blowing. I remember her admitting earlier that there indeed is the possibility that in the migration of the past years, indeed IS terrorist have come to Germany. Obviously when your police and security organizations say that, it's extremely stupid not to agree with them. The burkha thing is a bit more, because women having burkhas isn't an imminent lethal threat.

Yes. It's pivoting.