Republican Elector from Texas will not vote for Trump

clubgop

Re: Republican Elector from Texas will not vote for Trump

Post by clubgop » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:12 pm

The Conservative wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/opini ... &smtyp=cur
Fifteen years ago, I swore an oath to defend my country and Constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. On Dec. 19, I will do it again.
Seriously?

So what will this mean ultimately if enough don't say yes?
Goes to the House. They pick the President.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:16 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:
Atherzon wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:The Federalist Papers are commentaries and opinions. Not law.

This guy should be thrown in prison.
Nowhere in the Constitution is it stated or even implied that Electors are required to vote for a certain person. The Elector may be violating Texas law (I doubt it), but he is not violating the Constitution.
I know all of this. I was just toning down from my normal rhetoric that he should get the Munster Anabaptist treatment.

The fact that the Electors ARE NOT required to vote for a certain person is the #1 reason why the Electoral College must be destroyed. #2 is needless added complexity.
#1 it is the beauty of our system
#2 democracy is messy, bloody, and short lived. Republics are complex but have a beauty and staying power.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:04 pm

5 elections, out of 57, have been decided by the electoral college instead of the popular vote. Looks like the tyranny of the democratic majority has been ruling 92% of the time. I don't see any bloody, short=lived, messiness going on 92% of the time.

There is zero threat to the republic by eliminating something that solely exists as a safety valve for the elites. There is zero beauty in an entity that has the ability to take away the self-determination and democratic ideals that our citizens have been sold since day 1 by our founders

You seem to be so worried about citizens having any kind of say in the government, what would be your ideal way to limit voting?
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:22 am

AndrewBennett wrote:5 elections, out of 57, have been decided by the electoral college instead of the popular vote. Looks like the tyranny of the democratic majority has been ruling 92% of the time. I don't see any bloody, short=lived, messiness going on 92% of the time.

There is zero threat to the republic by eliminating something that solely exists as a safety valve for the elites. There is zero beauty in an entity that has the ability to take away the self-determination and democratic ideals that our citizens have been sold since day 1 by our founders

You seem to be so worried about citizens having any kind of say in the government, what would be your ideal way to limit voting?
Any kind of say? They have plenty of say. First off this fedetal government is supposed to be severly limited. Secondly, Congress used to rule the roost for the most part and people had and have the house. That was always supposed to be the outlet for popular opinion to take hold. Then the Senate, didnt even used to be directly elected but that changed and soon that became political. Third, you have the numbers all wrong we have 100% operated with the EC, the tyranny of the mob hasnt been ruling 92% of the time, it just so happens to match the results, but the tyranny of the mob need only be wrong once or over a long period of usurpations to meet a bloody demise.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:32 am

AndrewBennett wrote:5 elections, out of 57, have been decided by the electoral college instead of the popular vote. Looks like the tyranny of the democratic majority has been ruling 92% of the time. I don't see any bloody, short=lived, messiness going on 92% of the time.

Man I tell you what. Build, own, run a business. Buy a house without an agent and do significant construction work on said house. Send your kids to public or even private school. You will learn the federal government aint nothing but paperwork, what will really bother you, get under your skin, keep you up at night, and grind your gears will be the local, county, and state officials. You'll learn the names quickly, those are the important elections.

katarn

Post by katarn » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:48 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:Interesting quote. By defying the Constitution and election law of his state, he makes himself an enemy of those who took that oath.
List of states that bind electors:
Alabama
Alaska
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Hawaii
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
South Carolina
Tennessee
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Texas isn't one of them.
"Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage...
If I have freedom in my love
And in my soul am free,
Angels alone that soar above
Enjoy such Liberty" - Richard Lovelace

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:01 am

katarn wrote:
Speaker to Animals wrote:Interesting quote. By defying the Constitution and election law of his state, he makes himself an enemy of those who took that oath.
List of states that bind electors:
Alabama
Alaska
California
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
District of Columbia
Florida
Hawaii
Maine
Maryland
Massachusetts
Michigan
Mississippi
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Carolina
Ohio
Oklahoma
Oregon
South Carolina
Tennessee
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
Washington
Wisconsin
Wyoming

Texas isn't one of them.
That's nothing new.
#NotOneRedCent

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:31 am

clubgop wrote:

Man I tell you what. Build, own, run a business. Buy a house without an agent and do significant construction work on said house. Send your kids to public or even private school. You will learn the federal government aint nothing but paperwork, what will really bother you, get under your skin, keep you up at night, and grind your gears will be the local, county, and state officials. You'll learn the names quickly, those are the important elections.
All levels of government seem to be nothing but paperwork to annoy you, but they are all there to serve a crucial purpose.

There's bureaucracy everywhere. Its human nature.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:15 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:
clubgop wrote:

All levels of government seem to be nothing but paperwork to annoy you, but they are all there to serve a crucial purpose.

There's bureaucracy everywhere. Its human nature.
Missing the point entirely. Run a business, renovate a home, the feds wont be the ones shutting it down for some arbitrary tick tack crap. As for a crucial purpose, :lol: :lol: bullshit.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:08 pm

No, but the city, county, or state will. People always shit on the Federal government as the tyrants and the solution being local governments when they are just as much of a pain in the ass if not more

Anarchy never has and never will work, so crucial purpose is a fact