Ben Carson? Really?

pineapplemike

Re: Ben Carson? Really?

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:17 am

apeman wrote:As long as a sleepy black guy heads up the HUD, I don't care which one.
I believe we've reached a consensus

/thread

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:36 am

I'm not really sure why we have a department of house and urban development at the national level. I would think that is the territory of local governments.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:02 am

So the logic seems to be:

Premise 1: Ben Carson is black
Premise 2: Black people live in public housing
Premise 3: Ben Carson is a neurosurgeon
Premise 4: Neurosurgeons are smart.

Conclusion: Ben Carson is a smart choice for heading the department of public housing and planning.

Not that the past words of politicians matter even to themselves, but even Carson himself said that he wasn't qualified.
Carson's spokesperson wrote:"Dr. Carson feels he has no government experience, he's never run a federal agency. The last thing he would want to do was take a position that could cripple the presidency."
http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/30 ... ion-report

As I understand it correctly, though, Carson hasn't actually accepted the position yet, right? Not that it matters much... doesn't sound like a very desirable post, tbh.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 am

TheOneX wrote:I'm not really sure why we have a department of house and urban development at the national level. I would think that is the territory of local governments.
Prophets of the past anticipated the day that a golden-haired trickster god would descend from his high tower and build a huge, magnificent wall that needed cross-state, federal planning. You didn't think it would just be a wall, did you? Pssh! Walls need forts at certain, strategic locations. Also, underground bunkers for Mexicans who dig through to the US (and the Chinese, obviously).
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

SilverEagle

Post by SilverEagle » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 am

TheOneX wrote:I'm not really sure why we have a department of house and urban development at the national level. I would think that is the territory of local governments.
I agree. It should be at the very most a State run organization.
There is a time for good men to do bad things.

For fuck sake, 1984 is NOT an instruction manual!

:character-bowser: __________ :character-mario: :character-luigi:

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:13 am

AndrewBennett wrote: Potshots aside, its not only that the fields of medicine and public housing are different, he doesn't really even have administrative experience. He's a brilliant surgeon, but even then he was on the tech level, leading a small team.
Wait? He led a team? Isn't that experience directly related to this position?

apeman

Post by apeman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:41 pm

BjornP wrote:Not that the past words of politicians matter even to themselves, but even Carson himself said that he wasn't qualified.
That made me like him more.

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:04 pm

I am also totally unqualified to run a federal agencey. (hint hint)

apeman

Post by apeman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:17 pm

LVH2 wrote:I am also totally unqualified to run a federal agencey. (hint hint)
Yes but are you sleepy enough?

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:54 pm

BjornP wrote:
Prophets of the past anticipated the day that a golden-haired trickster god would descend from his high tower and build a huge, magnificent wall that needed cross-state, federal planning. You didn't think it would just be a wall, did you? Pssh! Walls need forts at certain, strategic locations. Also, underground bunkers for Mexicans who dig through to the US (and the Chinese, obviously).
Ah, now it all makes sense.