Ben Carson? Really?

Paulo

Re: Ben Carson? Really?

Post by Paulo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:45 am

Xenophon wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:
C-Mag wrote:
He's probably not smart enough. Maybe because he is a neurosurgeon, maybe cause he's black. Not sure right now, but I guess we'll find out.
He's a neurosurgeon, not a HUD director.

Would you want a housing director doing surgery on you?
Outsiders in every department, please. The current batch of career pen-pushers has gotten us nowhere.

Why not think this way, in military, economic and health? It would be nice to see an outsider astrophysic as secretary of treasure, maybe an ex football coach as secretary of the military... hehehehe , the real outsider would be a homeless for the HUD, the possibilities are endless.

Xenophon

Post by Xenophon » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:46 am

Paulo wrote:
Xenophon wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:
He's a neurosurgeon, not a HUD director.

Would you want a housing director doing surgery on you?
Outsiders in every department, please. The current batch of career pen-pushers has gotten us nowhere.

Why not think this way, in military, economic and health? It would be nice to see an outsider astrophysic as secretary of treasure, maybe an ex football coach as secretary of the military... hehehehe , the real outsider would be a homeless for the HUD, the possibilities are endless.
:roll:

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:47 am

I'm all for the outsiders, believe me, but having someone not even in a closely related field is something else entirely

I guess the lifelong employees who actually run the department do the real work and he's just a figurehead so it doesn't really matter
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

apeman

Post by apeman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:00 am

Do tell: what is the field of public housing? Are the theories too abstract for mere mortals like Carson to grasp?

MilSpecs

Post by MilSpecs » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:06 am

Growing up in the projects does not = project management. An outsider doesn't mean someone with no experience in a field. It means someone outside the current power structure. HUD clearly needs new vision and new direction (and I suspect that swamp needs draining), but there has to be some level of competency and expertise in any given field.
:royalty-queen:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:10 am

We should expect this. The power to complain remains the only power democrats still possess. What else can they do at this point, really?

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:31 am

apeman wrote:Do tell: what is the field of public housing? Are the theories too abstract for mere mortals like Carson to grasp?
Well, despite being a neurosurgeon he doesn't grasp the theory of evolution so there's some issues there

Potshots aside, its not only that the fields of medicine and public housing are different, he doesn't really even have administrative experience. He's a brilliant surgeon, but even then he was on the tech level, leading a small team.
As HUD secretary, he would be tasked with doling out subsidies for public housing to cities; giving federal grants to city, county and municipal governments for projects ranging from rental vouchers for low-income families to large-scale infrastructure development; and overseeing natural disaster relief
https://mic.com/articles/161298/ben-car ... .aQvkuLDNk

Tell me how a doctor is qualified for that. I think you and I are just as qualified as Carson to run that department. You probably more than I.
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

apeman

Post by apeman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:37 am

I am ready to run HUD anytime.

How did Obama prepare to be prez? Was it the hot minute in the senate? Or constitutional law? Or was it the community organizing?

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:53 am

Surely there is someone else is this country outside of government more prepared for this position than Ben Carson? For whatever reason I'm reminded of this other sleepy black guy named Ron Finley that started growing gardens in his shitty neighborhood in Los Angeles

Not exactly HUD qualifications either but he would go into it with a better outsider attitude than Ben Carson, I bet.

apeman

Post by apeman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:14 am

As long as a sleepy black guy heads up the HUD, I don't care which one.