A continuation from the DCF with Jbird.

clubgop

A continuation from the DCF with Jbird.

Post by clubgop » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:38 pm

Well, if you're willing to read my blather. Just give it a few days, as between the turkey, the test, and the report due, the effort to write my response will have to wait a little.
Please don't my disagreements as an attack. I'm just a poli sci nerd and history lover.
And who the heck said the Republican Party is just a regional party? Neither party is. Even in California, the GOP is about 28% of the voters. The same can also be said of the Democratic Party in other states.
Back at the DCF, Jbird said that. I intend to hold him to this. To my mind some drastic action is required. Reason has an article on this.

http://reason.com/archives/2016/11/28/t ... -is-not-go
One school of thought insists that the left needs to understand what Trump voters think and what they want. But so far there doesn't seem to be much chance of that happening. Even those who ascribe to this thesis approach the subject with the mindset of an anthropologist, or perhaps an exobiologist: "Who are these alien creatures? What do they want?" (Not to be viewed as a strange and repulsive species of semi-intelligent bug, would be one guess.)

The reading list also includes works by Thomas Frank, John B. Judis and other liberal stalwarts. Hmmmm. Say you want to understand the mind of the liberal academic. Whom do you ask for insight? If you answered "an Iowa beet farmer," you have a bright future as reading-list editor of The New York Times.
Good stuff in there but to my mind it is important to look inward and to 2018. Doesn’t look good for you guys, no bench in state governments and living in bubbles tends to make gerrymandering easy. To a point to where you can even call it gerrymandering. And in the senate the map doesn’t favor you all that much. Democrats have to defend 9 seats in states Trump won. And there isn’t many opportunities for them to pick up seats. My thoughts are they need to tea party the sit out of these people. Send a message to the DNC and others that they are not safe and they aren’t running anything. Jon Tester primary his ass, Claire MacAskill primary her ass. Put up lefty ass disgusting liberals, yeah they can’t win a general but fuck it, send a message. You’re up jbird.

jbird4049

Re: A continuation from the DCF with Jbird.

Post by jbird4049 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:08 pm

Hey thanks for saving that exchange. I hadn't forgotten that I was supposed to get back to you, but I forgotten on what! :oops:

I worry about my memory sometimes.

I will get to it shortly, but I want to say "none of the above" when it comes to both major parties. There are always exceptions, but it looks to me that the parties' are primarily cons masquerading as political parties. Either that, or cults.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:32 am

jbird4049 wrote:Hey thanks for saving that exchange. I hadn't forgotten that I was supposed to get back to you, but I forgotten on what! :oops:

I worry about my memory sometimes.

I will get to it shortly, but I want to say "none of the above" when it comes to both major parties. There are always exceptions, but it looks to me that the parties' are primarily cons masquerading as political parties. Either that, or cults.
The infrastructure is already there and so is the megaphone. They are not going anywhere. I have said it before, the most powerful and consequence free position in politics is to sit on the executive committee of a county party. It's like being a scout for a major league baseball team. That's why evertime someone said the GOP is dead or will be I could easily laugh it off. The national party is an office in DC, stocked with people the counties put there. Firebomb it today, we'll reopen tomorrow with new people. Even in democrat counties we stock the best people to send them statewide or to DC. The DNC as typically as one might expect is top down like a snake structure, no real farm team to speak of. The democrats could build something like that with their time in the wilderness but it would require self reflection and hard work. :lol: Good luck with finding that diamond in the millennial hispter douche rough.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:55 am

If the democrats fail to correct their current trajectory, they could easily be irrelevant as a national party in about three election cycles.

Consider democrats traditionally lose congressional seats in midterms. This means that, without some major political force dragging democratic voters to the polls, the Republicans will enjoy a supermajority in two years.

Then consider the factors that lost them a presidential election. The democratic party leadership show absolutely no interest in reforming and correcting those faults. They lost the white working class vote, and their response seems to entail putting a black nationalist in charge of the party. If Trump delivers not even half of what he promised, and if the democrats continue in this fashion, then Trump wins again in four years.

Which brings us to the second midterm election in Trump's presidency, where democrats stand to lose even more seats. If they picked up seats in 2020, they will lose them again in in 2022.

I do not think the democratic party will survive this. It will become a regional urban party, nothing more.

The more interesting question: what replaces it if they fail to reform?

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:00 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:If the democrats fail to correct their current trajectory, they could easily be irrelevant as a national party in about three election cycles.
You really know how to make my day... :D
#NotOneRedCent

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:16 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:If the democrats fail to correct their current trajectory, they could easily be irrelevant as a national party in about three election cycles.
They were saying the same about the Republican party after Obama was elected. People really need to stop overreacting to elections.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:19 am

Consider democrats traditionally lose congressional seats in midterms. This means that, without some major political force dragging democratic voters to the polls, the Republicans will enjoy a supermajority in two years.

Then consider the factors that lost them a presidential election. The democratic party leadership show absolutely no interest in reforming and correcting those faults. They lost the white working class vote, and their response seems to entail putting a black nationalist in charge of the party. If Trump delivers not even half of what he promised, and if the democrats continue in this fashion, then Trump wins again in four years.

Which brings us to the second midterm election in Trump's presidency, where democrats stand to lose even more seats. If they picked up seats in 2020, they will lose them again in in 2022.

I do not think the democratic party will survive this. It will become a regional urban party, nothing more.

The more interesting question: what replaces it if they fail to reform?
I dont see this. I just don't. They certainly cant and wont correct their state and local problems and their bench is thin, but being a coastal region urban party does make them a national party. And in a two party system that guarantees them 40-45% of the vote. As for the midterms. Midterms traditionally favor the party out of power in the WH. Democrats have a turnout and self gerrymander problem that may blunt those advantages but it still be there. As of right now they are the only other alternative if people get really pissed off at the GOP. Someone will get it. Or at least pretend to. Too much money, too much power at stake, and too much love and fawning attention from the MSM, to truly ever be done away with.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:37 am

TheOneX wrote:
They were saying the same about the Republican party after Obama was elected. People really need to stop overreacting to elections.
That is because it was true, the Republicans were loosing touch with its base...
#NotOneRedCent

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:39 am

I don't think the two events compare, at all. When Obama defeated the GOP twice, the GOP did not respond by selecting a white supremacist to run the party. Yet the democrats now seriously consider Keith Ellison a good choice to chair the DNC.

Republicans did not respond to losses with racism, yet the democrats now do.

The Conservative

Post by The Conservative » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:43 am

Speaker to Animals wrote:I don't think the two events compare, at all. When Obama defeated the GOP twice, the GOP did not respond by selecting a white supremacist to run the party. Yet the democrats now seriously consider Keith Ellison a good choice to chair the DNC.

Republicans did not respond to losses with racism, yet the democrats now do.
Actually, the Democrats have always lead with win or losses with doubling down on racism... it's just more noticeable now because people are becoming overly-sensitive cupcakes...
#NotOneRedCent