Mistrial Declared for Slagger

Penner

Mistrial Declared for Slagger

Post by Penner » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:37 pm

I just don't get it. He was literally filmed killing that man, who was running away and then he planted his taser right next to the body, and it was all caught on film. Damn, I guess cops can't be convicted of anything.

Charleston, South Carolina (CNN)A South Carolina prosecutor immediately vowed Monday to retry a white former police officer charged with killing an unarmed black motorist in North Charleston after a judge declared a mistrial when the jury failed to reach a verdict after hours of deliberation.

"We will try Michael Slager again," 9th Judicial Circuit Solicitor Scarlett A. Wilson said in a statement expressing disappointment that Slager, a former North Charleston officer, was not convicted in the five-week murder case in state court.

Slager shot and killed Walter Scott, 50, after an April 4, 2015, traffic stop. The shooting was captured on a bystander's cell phone video, which showed Scott running away as Slager fired eight times, striking Scott three times in the back.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/05/us/michae ... -mistrial/

and here is the video with the dash cam video place in chronological order:

TheReal_ND

Re: Mistrial Declared for Slagger

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:53 pm

Jury nullification.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:13 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:Jury nullification.
A hung jury is not nullification.

As for that video, I didn't see him plant the taser. Doesn't mean he didn't, I just don't see it.

Dand

Post by Dand » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:19 pm

He shot a fleeing unarmed man in the back, right? I'm surprised he wasn't convicted but hope he eventually will be.

Fuck the guy that ran from a traffic stop and fought with a cop but the cop should not have executed him for fleeing from a crime.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:27 pm

clubgop wrote:
TheReal_ND wrote:Jury nullification.
A hung jury is not nullification.

As for that video, I didn't see him plant the taser. Doesn't mean he didn't, I just don't see it.
Yes it is. I mean not necessarily but that's exactly how it's achieved.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:39 pm

Mistrial from a hung jury. It ain't over. I don't know what the stats are like for round two, but they're definitely gonna try him again. Maybe lower the charges to achieve a conviction.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:21 am

Okeefenokee wrote:Mistrial from a hung jury. It ain't over. I don't know what the stats are like for round two, but they're definitely gonna try him again. Maybe lower the charges to achieve a conviction.
I thought they were already low enough. Its not like the Freddy Gray case where they charged the officers with 1st degree murder.

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:47 am

I didn't see what the charges were. If the charges were already low and someone still didn't want to convict, maybe they thought it was justified. That's a sort of quasi nullification.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Zlaxer

Post by Zlaxer » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:12 am

Relax people....the jury found him guilty of doing something wrong....they just couldn't agree on the level of charge....dude's most likely going to jail after the retrial......

I thought I heard it was between murder and manslaughter....20 dcf....err...mhf bucks....that he gets murder on retrial (I don't think his jurisdiction has degrees)....could be wrong.

clubgop

Post by clubgop » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:09 pm

Zlaxer wrote:Relax people....the jury found him guilty of doing something wrong....they just couldn't agree on the level of charge....dude's most likely going to jail after the retrial......

I thought I heard it was between murder and manslaughter....20 dcf....err...mhf bucks....that he gets murder on retrial (I don't think his jurisdiction has degrees)....could be wrong.
He also is going to face federal charges on civil rights stuff so by no means will he go free.