Trump's Push to Keep American Businesses Here

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:47 am

Trump's been spending a lot of time lately going around to US businesses, trying to cut deals with them to prevent them from setting up business in other countries like Mexico. I keep getting tweets from him on my Twitter feed about all of this, and it clearly seems to be something he's passionate about. I thought it would be worth starting a thread to keep track of this activity, and how it might impact public attitudes about trade.

Ford

11/17/16 Trump touted a Ford factory staying in the US as an election win — but it was never leaving
President-elect Donald Trump on Thursday night said he persuaded Ford executives to keep a production plant from moving to Mexico.

"Just got a call from my friend Bill Ford, Chairman of Ford, who advised me that he will be keeping the Lincoln plant in Kentucky — no Mexico," Trump said on Twitter.

"I worked hard with Bill Ford to keep the Lincoln plant in Kentucky. I owed it to the great State of Kentucky for their confidence in me!"

But there's one problem: Ford never planned to move its Louisville, Kentucky, plant to Mexico.

Ford originally had plans to shift production of its Lincoln MKC vehicle from its Louisville plant to Mexico, according to the Courier-Journal, but the shift was not expected to affect employment levels at the plant.

Ford has now opted to keep building the line at the Louisville facility.

The company never announced plans to shut down the plant and move it across the border as Trump asserted.
Carrier

11/30/16 Trump just executed an unprecedented deal for a president in business — but a tough road is ahead
Carrier tweeted on Tuesday that the manufacturer had reached a deal with Trump and Vice President-elect Mike Pence that would "keep close to 1,000 jobs" in Indianapolis.

The company had planned to outsource roughly 2,100 jobs to Mexico with the closure of a plant in in Indianapolis, which employs 1,400 people, and another in Huntington, Indiana, which employs 700. The fate of the Huntington plant is still unclear.
12/4/16

President-elect Donald Trump warns companies they will be making 'expensive mistake' if they move abroad in cryptic tweets
President-elect Donald Trump warned companies in a series of tweets Sunday morning they will be making an “expensive mistake” —including a 35% tax —if they move business abroad.

Trump launched his volley by promising that the U.S. would “substantially reduce taxes and regulations on businesses” but warned “any business that leaves our country for another country,” he wrote in an early-morning tweet.
Trump's actions have drawn criticism from both political parties.

12/1/16 - Republican Sen. Ben Sasse of Nebraska - said trying to keep jobs from going overseas is a temporary fix, given the irreversible trend toward automation in the industrial sector which will continue to shrink the number of manufacturing jobs

http://www.businessinsider.com/ben-sass ... rd-2016-12

12/1/16 - Nathan Jensen, Professor at the University of Texas, Austin - Carrier confirmed that it is getting economic incentives from Indiana; reportedly those incentives will amount to $7 million over a decade; all the research shows that two-thirds and three-quarters of the incentives don’t actually have an impact on companies’ decisions to expand or keep jobs in a given state

https://thinkprogress.org/carrier-trump ... .qgr8dks07

12/2/16 - Sarah Palin - raises specter of "crony capitalism" - “When government steps in arbitrarily with individual subsidies, favoring one business over others, it sets inconsistent, unfair, illogical precedent. Meanwhile, the invisible hand that best orchestrates a free people’s free enterprise system gets amputated”

http://www.kansascity.com/news/nation-w ... rylink=cpy

12/4/16 - Tim Worstall, Forbes -
The real underlying point here is that we don't in fact want an economic manager. Not in the bureaucracy, not as a politician and most certainly not as the President. We do want, and need, an economic rule setter, some system at least which outlines the general rules for the economy. We can also go on and have the most lovely fights about what exactly those rules should be. But they must be general rules, not ones subject to revision because the President says so, or because one specific issue grabs the public limelight.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/timworstall ... 17d730ec03

So, is Trump on the right track? Should he be using his position and status as President to micromanage the decisions of individual businesses? Will what he's doing have a positive impact on the attitudes of business owners regarding the importance of US jobs?

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Re: Trump's Push to Keep American Businesses Here

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:08 pm

Thanks for collecting all those links... good Sunday reading.

I don't worry that businesses are going to be oppressed by the arbitrary whims of the government. I worry more that they will learn that they can hold the government hostage by saying 'give me tax breaks or cash infusions or else I will have to shut down plants and ship out jobs.' Of course, after they get their demands, they don't have keep up their end of the bargain because we really can't force them to keep plants open.

I hope it works, I really do, but if it only works temporarily because it is carried by the force of Trump's business acumen, well 4-8 years ain't enough time to fix all the problems of globalization forever. But, if it keeps people working and able to feed their families while carving out a decent life for themselves until we come up with better structural solutions, I am going to keep rooting for Trump to succeed.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:14 pm

12/2/16 - Sarah Palin - raises specter of "crony capitalism" - “When government steps in arbitrarily with individual subsidies, favoring one business over others, it sets inconsistent, unfair, illogical precedent. Meanwhile, the invisible hand that best orchestrates a free people’s free enterprise system gets amputated”

*hand rubbing intensifies*

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:15 pm

X
Last edited by Fife on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:20 pm

This is going to drive those who feel government should stay out of the way of business crazy.

But government is technically an institution whose purpose is to balance the interests of citizens and those whose interests might be at odds with theirs...
In other times this was the nobility and the clergy...
These days it is corporate interests - and government has become beholden to corporate interests.
Having a more effective negotiation with corporate interest so as to better serve the interests of citizens is a pretty good idea.

The question is whether Trump will end up serving the interests of citizens as well as corporate interests in these negotiations.

I guess there is hope.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:20 pm

Fife wrote:Winners and losers.

It would be difficult to come up with a more patently corruptible way of doing things.
There are always winners and losers. I suppose once we figure out the incorruptible way of doing things we will have solved all our problems forever. I am open to suggestions.
HAIL!

Her needs America so they won't just take his shit away like in some pussy non gun totting countries can happen.
-Hwen

Fife

Post by Fife » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:24 pm

X
Last edited by Fife on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:32 pm

I have to admit that my ulterior motive of electing a shit lord to office is more satisfying than I had really imagined.

Hanarchy Montanarchy

Post by Hanarchy Montanarchy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:35 pm

Fife wrote:Here's one suggestion: No public handouts or tax boondoggles to warp the market.
Can we keep public handouts and tax boondoggles that don't warp the market?
:twisted:
HAIL!

-Hwen

Paulo

Post by Paulo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:38 pm

DrYouth wrote:This is going to drive those who feel government should stay out of the way of business crazy.

But government is technically an institution whose purpose is to balance the interests of citizens and those whose interests might be at odds with theirs...
In other times this was the nobility and the clergy...
These days it is corporate interests - and government has become beholden to corporate interests.
Having a more effective negotiation with corporate interest so as to better serve the interests of citizens is a pretty good idea.

The question is whether Trump will end up serving the interests of citizens as well as corporate interests in these negotiations.

I guess there is hope.

That is the question? Are you kidding me? :D :D :D :D :D