Europe, Boring Until it's Not

SuburbanFarmer

Re: Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:53 pm

In Neocon Land, anyone that the government don’t like is a terrorist.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:02 pm

Otern wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 7:28 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:35 pm
Terrorism is the unlawful use of violence in the pursuit of political aims.
No one except IRA supporters called the Brighton bombing where they tried to kill Thatcher anything other than terrorism.
Terrorism is not exclusively attacking civilians.
Have to disagree here.
Let's start with "unlawful use of violence". This means every rebel is a terrorist. 20 july plotters would be considered terrorists. Considering international law, the invasion of Iraq could be called terrorism, as would the NATO actions in Kosovo against the Serbs. Subjectively it would be true, but not objectively.

As for the IRA question, it's even more complicated. I wouldn't call IRA pure terrorists. Sure, they did have terrorist actions. But so did the RUC. And the RUC did get support from the state. The IRA weren't the worst terrorists at the end of the Troubles.

Basically, terrorism is more of a propaganda term, than a technical term. Using "terrorism" as a contemporary definition of a group or an activity doesn't really work that well, because we've yet to see how it ends. I think ISIS will still be seen as a terrorist group in the future, but a lot of other groups considered "terrorists", will not be deemed so in the future. Nelson Mandela was technically a terrorist, but no mainstream politician will call him that today, as it would be political suicide.
Sure, one man's freedom fighter is another man's terrorist.
If ''not my president'' protesters can be called terrorists by StA for kicking over trash cans and breaking shop windows then when yellow vest protesters set fire to city centres and fight running battles with the police then they can also be called terrorists.

The origin of the word is the terror after the French revolution and referred to acts carried out by the government. The meaning then changed to acts of terror against governments and has now changed to violent or destructive acts (such as bombing) committed by groups in order to intimidate a population or government into granting their demands.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-a ... -terrorism
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Otern

Post by Otern » Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:20 am

Nothing about the latest tomfoolery from the Iberians?
Monte, what's your take on it?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:10 am

Otern wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:20 am
Not sure what you are referencing.
Are you talking about the trials of Catalonian separatists or the ongoing squabbles over Gibraltar?
TBH I'm surprised there has been nothing about Shamima Begum on here.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Otern

Post by Otern » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:36 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:10 am
Otern wrote:
Are you talking about the trials of Catalonian separatists or the ongoing squabbles over Gibraltar?
Thinking of Gibraltar yes. Think the Spaniards went a little too far this time.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:47 am

Oh, have the Spaniards finally launched the Reconquista of Gibraltar to liberate it from the United Caliphate?

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:00 am

Otern wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:36 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:10 am
Otern wrote:
Thinking of Gibraltar yes. Think the Spaniards went a little too far this time.
Well, clearly they have no right to order British ships off Gibraltar out of ''Spanish territorial waters''. The anchorage in question is recognised by International law to be British territory.
I guess it is just a bit of sabre rattling to keep the claim on Gibraltar in the news. Probably designed for Spanish domestic consumption to stir up Spanish nationalism and divert news away from the separatists' trials.
Patrolling the area with weapons systems uncovered and ordering our vessels to move is a dangerous game of chicken to play with the Royal Navy.
There is no doubt that Britain will defend Gibraltar with force if necessary and Spain's military are woefully inferior in size and quality.
Her Majesty's government of Gibraltar have described the incident as foolish and I wouldn't argue with that.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:06 am

Hopefully the Dutch will just sink both your fleets in a repeat.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:24 am

A spokesman for the Gibraltar Government said officials were aware of the incident.

“Her Majesty’s Government of Gibraltar is verifying every aspect of the incident in order to ensure that appropriate action is taking as soon as possible,” the spokesman told the Chronicle.

“Gibraltar VTS ensured that the vessels in question did not act in consequence of the illegal Spanish instructions.”

“There is only nuisance value to these foolish games being played by those who don’t accept unimpeachable British sovereignty over the waters around Gibraltar as recognised by the whole world under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.”

“It seems there are still some in the Spanish Navy who think they can flout international law.”

“This probably accounts for the state of extremism of some parts of the Spanish political spectrum these days.”
http://chronicle.gi/2019/02/spanish-pat ... ar-waters/
Seems like my appraisal matches that of the Gibraltan government.
I guess this is what you would expect from a backward Catholic nation with a long history of fascist dictatorship.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:31 am

I support my Catholic brothers in their crusade to rid their God-fearing peninsula of heretics and Muslims.