Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Otern

Re: Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Post by Otern » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:08 am

Hastur wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:06 am
The Soviet leadership really liked eating snow crabs so they set them out around Murmansk in order to have access to freshly caught ones. They moved them in from Kamchatka. Since then the crabs have moved steadily around the north cape and down the Norwegian coast. It's an invasive species but very delicious.
Wasn't that the king crab?
I haven't heard about the snow crab being set out on purpose. The more likely explanation is them being carried in ballast tanks of tankers and transports, and being released here through negligence, not through purpose.

I've never tasted crab, so can't say anything about its deliciousness. Generally try to stay as far away from that domain of monsters as possible.

Hastur

Post by Hastur » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:36 am

Otern wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:08 am
Hastur wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:06 am
The Soviet leadership really liked eating snow crabs so they set them out around Murmansk in order to have access to freshly caught ones. They moved them in from Kamchatka. Since then the crabs have moved steadily around the north cape and down the Norwegian coast. It's an invasive species but very delicious.
Wasn't that the king crab?
I haven't heard about the snow crab being set out on purpose. The more likely explanation is them being carried in ballast tanks of tankers and transports, and being released here through negligence, not through purpose.

I've never tasted crab, so can't say anything about its deliciousness. Generally try to stay as far away from that domain of monsters as possible.
I got my crabs mixed up. It was the king crab.

An nescis, mi fili, quantilla prudentia mundus regatur? - Axel Oxenstierna

Nie lügen die Menschen so viel wie nach einer Jagd, während eines Krieges oder vor Wahlen. - Otto von Bismarck

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:44 am

Once a foreign species establishes itself in Norwegian waters, it is virtually impossible to get rid of again.

Many foreign species come to Norway, but only a few are able to establish themselves. If the alien species grows large in numbers and manages to outcompete local species, it is called an invasive species. In Norwegian waters, king crab, snow crab, American lobster and Pacific oyster are the foreign species causing the most concern today.
The king crab emigrated to the coast of Finnmark after having been released in the Murmansk fjord in the 1960s. The crab alters the bottom fauna by consuming large amounts of bottom fauna. East of the North Cape, there is long-term restricted fishing for the king crab. West of the North Cape, king crab fishing is unrestricted.

- It has worked well. We are unable to stop the crab from spreading westward, but we can refine the crab population and slow down the speed with which the crab is spreading, Sundet says.
The snow crab is an arctic species and keeps further to the north in the Barents Sea. One does not know for certain whether the snow crab has been released here or if the species has immigrated from the sea areas around the Bering Strait. The crab can have the same effect on the bottom fauna as the king crab. The Ministry of Food and Fisheries will shortly have an overview of the measures for the management of snow crab on the Norwegian continental shelf in the Barents Sea.
https://www.barentswatch.no/en/articles ... e-species/
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:40 pm

claims
''Claims'' is the new ''un-named sources''.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

BjornP

Post by BjornP » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:09 pm

Perhaps it was "a guy in a yellow vest in France" that was the source. As in... some guy whose car broke down in the middle of a street.
Fame is not flattery. Respect is not agreement.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:23 pm

Yeah, it seems dubious, but I still think it is hilarious. We shall see!

If I recall, some of you predicted this would just blow over as yet another perennial Parisian riot. Now its spread all over the place. LOL

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:32 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:23 pm
You think threats to violently overthrow a democratically elected government and murder the President is hilarious?

Sounding more and more like a terrorist organisation within the yellow vest movement is subverting the protest for their own cause.

You would throw a shit fit if this was Antifa in the US making these claims.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:33 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:32 pm
You think threats to violently overthrow a democratically elected government and murder the President is hilarious?

Sounding more and more like a terrorist organisation within the yellow vest movement is subverting the protest for their own cause.

Do you even listen to yourself?

1) You laughed off a very real attempted coup against the elected government of the United States because you were programmed to hate Trump.

2) If they attack civilians they are terror organizations. If they attack the government, they are revolutionaries.

3) Antifa DOES say shit like that!

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:01 pm

Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:33 pm
Montegriffo wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:32 pm

Do you even listen to yourself?

1) You laughed off a very real attempted coup against the elected government of the United States because you were programmed to hate Trump.

2) If they attack civilians they are terror organizations. If they attack the government, they are revolutionaries.

3) Antifa DOES say shit like that!
1) Link? I'm pretty sure I did no such thing.
2) Bollocks. The IRA attacked the government, only their supporters would describe them as anything other than terrorists.
3) You lose your shit when they do.