Brexit

Montegriffo

Re: Brexit

Post by Montegriffo » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:10 pm

Not sure whether to thank or curse you for this Nuke.
Plenty to be said here though so hopefully it will get Otern here for round 12 (or how ever many it is I'm a bit punch drunk on this)
Still it certainly makes me look like a true outsider whatever that is.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:27 am

Good to see you Otern, it's here waiting.
Did you hear about the Brevit aide carrying his notes getting snaped by a journo?
Stuff like
have your cake and eat it
and
single market,not likely
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Otern

Post by Otern » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:39 am

Montegriffo wrote:Good to see you Otern, it's here waiting.
Did you hear about the Brevit aide carrying his notes getting snaped by a journo?
Stuff like
have your cake and eat it
and
single market,not likely
Not that updated on Brexit stuff these days. It just looks like it's on sleep mode. No Article 50 in sight.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:56 am

Still topic number one on the media here, when it's not Trump.
Just had a by election for Zak Goldsmith's seat who was London mayor losing candidate and chief Brexiteer.
He had his majority of 17000 turned over and was beaten by the very pro-remain Lib Dem candidate who proclaimed it a victory against hard Brexit.
Also John Major came out of the shadows talking about the tyranny of the majority, Blair too, coming out on the pro EU side.

Otern

Post by Otern » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:23 am

I don't think a lot, even on the leave side WANTS a hard brexit. It's just that it has to be the default if all else fails.

It is the worst case scenario, but at least it's a scenario that's still compatible with the democratic decision, unlike a default remain if negotiations breaks down.

But Brexit and Bremain aside, what's your position on the EU? I suspect we've been discussing over each other on some stuff, since we haven't really established our position on the EU itself to each other, but rather went straight to the Brexit/Bremain debate, which is still important, but there's a bigger horse to beat here.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:40 am

We went through it early on.
I'm one of those reluctant remainers you can't understand.
I hate the confederation of Europe idea being pushed by the Germans and French but think the common market is a good idea.
Don't like all the reams of petty legislation coming from Brussels but like the social reform, working practises and green agenda.
So maybe a Brexit light, if it happens is the best solution for me in the long run.
Also I refuse to go along with the nationalistic side show on open borders as I accept EU workers especially from Eastern Europe are necessary to our economy and could even help theirs with workers taking capital back home to start businesses.
too much of an idealist and possibly a bit too naive overall.
Just about sums it up. I beleive we have a lot of common ground to explore and many battles to fight too.
Always appreciated your will to debate politely and your ability to make me think and even change my mind on occasion.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:11 am

I love when elites cry about tyranny of the majority. I can smell the guillotine rope
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:22 am

AndrewBennett wrote:I love when elites cry about tyranny of the majority. I can smell the guillotine rope
The blessed John Major was not born an elite. In fact he was born into a circus family and ran away to become an accountant.

Otern

Post by Otern » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:28 am

Montegriffo wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:I love when elites cry about tyranny of the majority. I can smell the guillotine rope
The blessed John Major was not born an elite. In fact he was born into a circus family and ran away to become an accountant.
That's the most British thing ever.