Social Justice Warriors Thread

StCapps

Re: Social Justice Warriors Thread

Post by StCapps » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:48 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:God, did this thread really have to come over? lol

It's like a ticking timebomb of Stupid waiting for DSL to light the fuse...
The thread also serves as the ultimate DSL catnip yes. You say that like it's a bad thing.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:51 pm

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:God, did this thread really have to come over? lol

It's like a ticking timebomb of Stupid waiting for DSL to light the fuse...
The thread also serves as the ultimate DSL catnip yes. You say that like it's a bad thing.
I confess that it is entertaining... Just not sure if it's wise to start spraying shit on the walls in our new house yet.
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:55 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I confess that it is entertaining... Just not sure if it's wise to start spraying shit on the walls in our new house yet.
This thread has been great so far, you should check out some of that Jordan Peterson material that was posted. The walls are clean, for now.....
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:59 pm

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I confess that it is entertaining... Just not sure if it's wise to start spraying shit on the walls in our new house yet.
This thread has been great so far, you should check out some of that Jordan Peterson material that was posted. The walls are clean, for now.....
Oh absolutely. Somebody (probably you) suggested that episode in the DCF, and I've been listening to the JRE ever since. Highlights have been the paleontologist Trevor Vale, and some of the hunting/outdoors people recently. I skip all comedian episodes - they're terrible.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:03 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I skip all comedian episodes - they're terrible.
Joey Diaz is the shit and everyone loves Bill Burr, put the broad brush away bro. Talk smack about the rest if you want, except Doug Stanhope that dude is great too. If those dudes are on then you are depriving yourself of good laughs if you miss it, just saying.
*yip*

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:05 pm

StCapps wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote:I skip all comedian episodes - they're terrible.
Joey Diaz is the shit and everyone loves Bill Burr, put the broad brush away bro. Talk smack about the rest if you want, except Doug Stanhope that dude is great too.
I'm not saying that the comedians themselves are bad - just that it doesn't work in a podcast. Everybody's laughing hysterically and shouting into the mic, and maybe 2% of it is actually funny (to me). I'd much prefer a quiet conversation for this particular format.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:07 pm

GrumpyCatFace wrote:I'm not saying that the comedians themselves are bad - just that it doesn't work in a podcast. Everybody's laughing hysterically and shouting into the mic, and maybe 2% of it is actually funny (to me). I'd much prefer a quiet conversation for this particular format.
I understand the preference but I don't mind some variety, especially if it involves Bill Burr or Joey Diaz, just saying.
*yip*

Dand

Post by Dand » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:50 pm

nickle7 wrote:
StCapps wrote:
nickle7 wrote: snip
snip

Worth a watch if you've got the time. He tears SJW's a new asshole.
Lookin forward to listening to this. Here's another good interview with him on the Rubin Report... a bit shorter than Rogan's :lol: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n8zn-R10qM
Wow, he got very emotional in the last three minutes when describing Geppetto's wish (Could be thinking of his own child(ren)?). I think you can really see from that video that this guy is sincere about his convictions, even if it would be very easy to dismiss him and say it's hyperbole when he says that he'd go to jail for his "hate speech" of refusing to obey compelled speech.

I bought Jordan Peterson's book, Maps of Meaning, about a month ago after seeing the video where students shout him down and refuse to listen to him. I haven't finished reading it yet but I have read the summaries of each section and the first half thouroughly while watching the lectures from his psychology class on youtube. The book was published in 1999 so it precedes the term "SJW" and is definitely not focused on political correctness or SJW's. It tries to address why people from various parts of the world have mythologies and stories that share common themes and to potentially explain them in a psychological context.

That interview on the Rubin Report must be the 3rd time I've heard him talk about the Disney Pinocchio and seeing it this time I'm thinking it made a strong emotional connection with him. I do think it is one of his clearest examples but he also makes a good argument for the parallels between it and other stories, like the Egyptian mythology of Osiris/Set/Isis/Horus. If I can attempt to summarize/tease some of what Peterson takes hundreds of pages and hours of lectures to say it's this:

-The world can be described/defined as both a "place of things" and a "stage for action". Science can tell us what the "things" are while some other discipline is required (philosophy? I don't quite know) to answer "What actions should we take?". Whether we like it or not, we hold some beliefs because we choose to do some things and not to do others.

-Many myths follow this rough 3-part base structure: Feminine chaos and the unknown (Isis, Tiamat, Mother Nature), Masculine societal order and tyranny (Osiris, The Patriarchy, Geppetto), and Heroic exploration and rejuvenation (Horus, Christ, Pinocchio).
- The Hero confronts the unknown, is typically injured/scarred, descends to the underworld, and revives his "dead"(or captured and doomed, like Geppetto) father.
- An "evil twin" of the hero is "Satan" (various manifestations) that can be defined by three characteristics; strict adherence to ideology, reliance on lies as a means of adaptation, and the inevitable development of a hatred of the self and the world.

-These myths can be explained from a Darwinian persepective as evolved ways of understanding society or the world that result in a better chance of having children and surviving. The myths show the value of order and maybe even an early version of a "social contract" that is part of a stronger society.

-I believe that Peterson views at least part of his own work as "descending to the underworld" and reviving some (he explicitly dismisses other parts) of Jung's work.

That's the best I can do, for now, of pinpointing some of his arguments. In less concrete terms, I can say that from reading and listening that he seems to be a supporter of Western Civilization and a fervent anti-Totalitarian. He makes an argument that the results of Chinese and Russian Communism can be defined as evil and that with that starting point you can determine the opposite of evil. He says that the correct way to act is a way that would not allow you to become a cog in a Nazi/Stalinist/etc machine and would not allow "I was just following orders" to be an excuse. In the 1999 book, he says he believes that "speaking the truth" is the most effective way to prevent/dismantle/destroy totalitarianism and that looks like the impetus of his current, public anti-compelled-speech argument.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:20 pm

So should I be listening to this JRE episode or what?
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:55 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:So should I be listening to this JRE episode or what?
*yip*