Did Democrats really re-elect Nancy Pelosi as Speaker?

PartyOf5

Re: Did Democrats really re-elect Nancy Pelosi as House Minority Leader?

Post by PartyOf5 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:43 pm

Kath wrote:
PartyOf5 wrote:Democrats are clinging to the presidential popular vote as their reason for keeping the status quo. In the process they will lose even more of the working middle class. They can turn Cali into North Mexico, but they will continue to lose middle America.
You guys need to quit pretending this is the first time ever that power has shifted. The Rs got full control 10 years ago and lost it again. The 40% of the country that has no true party allegiance gets bored with the tactics and votes differently the next time.

It's all happened before and it will all happen again. Hopefully, after 4 years of this clown, the electorate will demand a higher quality leader.
How am I pretending power has never shifted? I made a statement about the current state of the Democrat party and the direction they are headed. In the near future this is where things are going. You are wrong to assume I meant this is forever.

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:46 pm

I just don't know what you expect out of people.

Look, when I visited Springfield MO often in my childhood the only black people I saw were on TV. When I go out to the farm in Eastern KY the only black people I see are on TV. Hell, when I go to Destin FL on vacation the only black people I see are on TV.

Point being, there are so few minorities in the plain states that it is impossible to even conceive of the elite black culture. Picturing Howard University or Spelman College or even Grambling State is difficult for people who have never been exposed to exceptional individuals that happen to be black. The Cosby Show was as close that anybody West of the MS River and East of the Rockies will get to that type of black community. So don't be surprised when a 60 year old writes a newsletter scared for his life by the roaming black hoards of car jackers.

But seriously, the likelihood of the folks I assume you are talking about, having dealt with an esteemed group of minorities is extremely low because there are so few scattered outside of major metropolitan areas. How can you expect to have an appreciation for how similar people are when your exposure to other people's culture is all you see on TV?
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

K@th

Post by K@th » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:57 pm

kybkh wrote: How can you expect to have an appreciation for how similar people are when your exposure to other people's culture is all you see on TV?
So you are saying that ignorance excuses racism? Interesting argument. I'm not sure it excuses poor behavior. I was raised in lily white neighborhoods and went to school & church where there were zero black people. My parents raised me racist.

With all that, I have never considered myself a racist. Maybe I'm more evolved and my mind can expand to see beyond what is shown to me on the surface?
Account abandoned.

PartyOf5

Post by PartyOf5 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:58 pm

Kath wrote:When we go to the midwest, everyone is very nice, but here's an example from 2008, during the primaries.

"You see we have to vote McCain. I'll never vote for a nigger and no woman should ever be president, so that's all I have left to choose from."

Again, perfectly nice people. But racist.
I don't doubt that was an actual statement. I've heard similar ones myself. The problem comes if you try and link Midwest = racist.

I'm sure there were plenty of urban blacks folks in 2008 who said "I have to vote for Obama because he's black". That is the equivalent, and it is also racist.

kybkh

Post by kybkh » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:47 pm

My guess is most those folks in the MW don't consider themselves racist either.

Ignorance is the ultimate get out of jail free card, just ask our politicians...

I guess what I am saying is there is a difference between prejudice and racism.

When I was a kid and the Boomers thought it was a good experiment to try busing in some of the worst neighborhoods in the city out to previously lily white suburban schools the result was chaos. Massive racial fights at first but after about 5 years once all the "Hoods" were out of the school and replaced by the "wiggers" all that was left was a new norm with lowered expectations.

In 6th grade you had to be on the lookout for some dude name Jack who stalked the hallways with a can of hairspray and fists loaded with headbanger skull rings who would just punch you in the chest for being too close to him. By 8th grade you had to have you head on a swivel for Antoine rushing up behind you with his buddies demanding your lunch money. It was a weird shift to witness. In a 3 year span the coolest of the cool went from wearing Motely Crue shirts and spray painting Hoodz Rule on anything stationary to a bunch of white kids drawing gang signs in their math books.

Moving on, my 8th grade class was literally the last class that actually consisted of any "Hoodz" and that's who I ran with. As 8th graders, we were all considerably racist. Not because I just rolled out of bed and saw a black person and said they are less than me, but because I was well acquainted with Antoine and hated seeing the nerdier kids from the neighborhood that weren't part of the click get bullied every day.

Those roughnecks would fuck with everyone, but if you were a nerd, forget about it. Teachers were too scared to stop it so they just had to endure. So seeing my school shredded by these outsiders who got bused in from over an hour away really tainted my view of the black culture. I watched the Cosby's every Thursday night right before Family Ties and the blackness of Bill Cosby never even registered with me because his behavior was totally foreign to my personal experience.

So I admit to my prior ignorance and personal faults only to get to this comment I made to a teacher one day in school.

Me and the Hoodz were hanging at our usual table after lunch and a fucking white male teacher came over to sit with us. My boys sporting their Dixie flag shirts and shit (I was just a faker, they were the real deal country boys who all "had uncles in the Klan") is what I guess prompted this guy to come talk to us. That and the nearing of the "end of year racial fight" that had been rumored all Spring.

>Anyways, guy sits down and is like "why are you guys so prejudice?".
>MeTriggered.jpg
>Having just had this fight with my dad I had my talking points and I stopped him immediately
>"Look you fucking white male, you haven't seen what I've seen. Boys left in puddles of tears because Antione just took his new Georgetown Starter jacket. Me having to explain to my biker gang uncle that a black kid gave me a black eye because his friend told him I called him a name when all I was doing was walking to class and the next thing I know I am being attacked. Don't call me "PREJUDICE"! I ain't prejudging no one!! I've met the enemy he is they!!!"
>By the end of the conversation, the concern troll told me I should be a politician I argued my perspective so effectively.

And, that's how I felt, cause that's all I knew. And until I became less ignorant, I didn't change my opinion much. Got in to HS played football with the roughnecks, went to college met suburban blacks, get older read about black collegiate culture and the Divine Nine, appreciate more what those kids I knew in school were dealing with themselves being sent out to the whiteburbs seeing all these middle class, over privileged white kids acting like they own shit. It had to be tough. It was tough.

I was racist, I validated my feelings by equating prejudice and racism when they could not be further apart. Everyone is prejudice, Adolf Hitler was racist.

Last edited by kybkh on Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:27 am, edited 3 times in total.
“I've got a phone that allows me to convene Americans from every walk of life, nonprofits, businesses, the private sector, universities to try to bring more and more Americans together around what I think is a unifying theme..." - Obama

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:26 pm

Kath wrote:
LVH2 wrote:
Kath wrote:I think more people are racist than the Rs claim and less people are racist than the Ds claim. It's seriously problematic that a group of people are claiming black people cannot be racist. It's bullshit. I'd point out that a noisy minority of people make such a claim.
:lol:
It's "racism is all gone" versus "every white person is racist!"
I just thought that phrase could be misinterpreted in a humorous fashion.
PartyOf5 wrote:

I'm sure there were plenty of urban blacks folks in 2008 who said "I have to vote for Obama because he's black". That is the equivalent, and it is also racist.
Shirley, you can't be serious. Let's set aside the fact that it proved a black person can achieve anything, and provided a great role model for de keeds.

Let's set aside the historical significance of going from slavery to the white house. (Even if Obama isn't descended from slaves, which is probably significant).

There's a difference between saying, "I'm rooting for Mark Spitz because he's an American," and saying, "I'm rooting against him because he is a kike."

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:36 pm

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:35 pm

Is Mark Spitz a kike?

p.s. I've never been very good at the racist thing.
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:36 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Is Mark Spitz a kike?

p.s. I've never been very good at the racist thing.

Antisemitism looks ridiculous to most people, honestly.

apeman

Post by apeman » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:17 am

I like jews and jewish culture.

I wish I had a culture.