Did Democrats really re-elect Nancy Pelosi as Speaker?

pineapplemike

Did Democrats really re-elect Nancy Pelosi as Speaker?

Post by pineapplemike » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:46 pm

Reelecting Nancy Pelosi proves Dems reject voters' call for change
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/n ... oves-house
Nancy Pelosi’s re-election as Democrat minority leader suggests that the Democrat party learned little from their losses in November. This isn’t only bad news for Democrats who have signed up for at least two more years of tone-deaf outreach and counterproductive strategizing. It’s bad news for Americans who want fresh leadership dedicated to solving problems rather than re-fighting partisan battles.
She got somewhere around 2/3 of the vote, all because she can shake her money maker and fund their campaigns

Last edited by pineapplemike on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jbird4049

Re: Did Democrats really re-elect Nancy Pelosi as House Minority Leader?

Post by jbird4049 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:36 pm

What, expecting a sudden attack of reason? Don't be silly. :)

They're all too busy getting high off all those sweet, sweet "donations" she brings in to do anything more than re-arrange the deck chairs of their sinking ship.
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:16 pm

jbird4049 wrote:What, expecting a sudden attack of reason? Don't be silly. :)

They're all too busy getting high off all those sweet, sweet "donations" she brings in to do anything more than re-arrange the deck chairs of their sinking ship.
I agree.
I don't think the Dems have much of a clue how to plug the holes in their sinking ship. They can look at the numbers and say, well, we need to go after Suburban voters. But I don't think it's that easy because the Dems have been preaching the same message for 50 years. I really do think this is a historic shift for America. Now, can the GOP forge a better future for the country with this power ? I don't know, I'm a little cynical.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Two Man

Post by Two Man » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:20 pm

The Democrats just need a more appealing candidate next time. When Trump shoots himself in the foot - and he will - who you gonna call?

C-Mag

Post by C-Mag » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:49 pm

Two Man wrote:The Democrats just need a more appealing candidate next time. When Trump shoots himself in the foot - and he will - who you gonna call?
Which kind of brings us back full circle. The Dems just went back to the well with Nancy Pelosi. Effectively doubling down on the shite people hated about Hillary. Same old Democrat Establishment hack.
PLATA O PLOMO

Don't fear authority, Fear Obedience

Two Man

Post by Two Man » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:00 pm

People are pretty obviously able to separate a party from an individual candidate (see Trump). If the dems can pick a more attractive candidate next time, voters won't give a hoot who the house minority leader is.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:03 pm

That lady just bugs me. I don't know what it is with California and an affinity for annoying females but we sure send a lot of them to Washington.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:53 pm

Haumana wrote:That lady just bugs me. I don't know what it is with California and an affinity for annoying females but we sure send a lot of them to Washington.
I'm a native, and a Democrat, and I don't like her, or just the retired Diane Feinstein. Both are upper, upper, crust with Feinstein being Old (for California that is) San Francisco Money and living in Pacific Heights.

Although Feinstein showed true metal after the murders of George Moscone, and Harvey Milk. It did help her career, but I don't believe she thinks it a good bargain.

jbird4049

Post by jbird4049 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:19 pm

jbird4049 wrote:
Haumana wrote:That lady just bugs me. I don't know what it is with California and an affinity for annoying females but we sure send a lot of them to Washington.
I'm a native, and a Democrat, and I don't like her, or just the retired Diane Feinstein. Both are upper, upper, crust with Feinstein being Old (for California that is) San Francisco Money and living in Pacific Heights.

Although Feinstein showed true metal after the murders of George Moscone, and Harvey Milk. It did help her career, but I don't believe she thinks it a good bargain.

And if you don't like them, Feinstein's replacement is Kamala Harris. Honestly, I have not studied Harris' career much. That said, I think she is a politician's political DA. Making most of her judgments on the right political decisions, not the right judicial one. San Francisco's DA, and the state's Attorney General positions are elected, not appointed offices, but she is supposed to serve the people by representing justice. Not to be political whores. She did swear oaths to that effect. It's a quaint, even archaic, expectation, I know.

I think the same could be said in way for most of the Democratic Representatives. They'll keep doing the same politically expedient choices right even as they drown as the ship sinks.

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:24 pm

jbird4049 wrote:
And if you don't like them, Feinstein's replacement is Kamala Harris. Honestly, I have not studied Harris' career much. That said, I think she is a politician's political DA. Making most of her judgments on the right political decisions, not the right judicial one. San Francisco's DA, and the state's Attorney General positions are elected, not appointed offices, but she is supposed to serve the people by representing justice. Not to be political whores. She did swear oaths to that effect. It's a quaint, even archaic, expectation, I know.

I think the same could be said in way for most of the Democratic Representatives. They'll keep doing the same politically expedient choices right even as they drown as the ship sinks.
I didn't vote for either of the two offerings this time out. I am not a big fan of Kamala from what I know but that is mostly because she is Newsome's chosen one. And he is too politically ambitious for my tastes. All image.