What is the Chance of an Electoral College Revolt?

Okeefenokee

Re: What is the Chance of an Electoral College Revolt?

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:45 pm

The wife and I have been hosting fire side chats. You should see her when someone says Hillary wasn't as bad. She fucking hates that woman.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:47 pm

jbird4049 wrote: Mom,and I, were having a seriously intense "discussion" about the election at the retirement home dining room during Thanksgiving, when some of the staff asked if we wanted more coffee, and oh, is everything okay? :oops:
C-Mag wrote:
I have a Sister-By-Law that's in the middle of this million woman march on the Trump Inauguration, so I know the feeling.
I feel ya both. It is weird to watch the MSM wildfire catch hold in family members. I have always felt like the family alien but never more so than now. But then again I got to the point where it was like fuck em. Convince me with something other than irrational emotion and avoid using some MSM fear mongering meme but nobody ever took up that angle.

Dan didn't even make an argument that couldn't be boiled down to just some emotional fear of what might, possibly, could maybe happen. Talk about no faith in the founding documents and systems.... If this house of cards is that weak then the sooner we find out the better. Oh and fuck Hillary was the fallback position. :lol:

Haumana

Post by Haumana » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:51 pm

Okeefenokee wrote:The wife and I have been hosting fire side chats. You should see her when someone says Hillary wasn't as bad. She fucking hates that woman.
Same with my wife and a good portion of her female clients here in Nor Cal.(She does hair) She said it was a weird verbal dance because she isn't bashful and would say "I am not voting for Hillary", suddenly her clients would loosen up and say "I am not either" if the subject came up. The covert female Trump vote was real around here.

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:28 pm

jbird4049 wrote:
Haumana wrote:
C-Mag wrote: Have all the street riots died down now
My street is pretty quiet but then again my sister hasn't spoken but 3 words to me since 11/9. :lol: I guess my MAGA hat didn't go over too well.
Mom, and I, were having a seriously intense "discussion" about the election at the retirement home dining room during Thanksgiving, when some of the staff asked if we wanted more coffee, and oh, is everything okay? :oops:

We're talking just fine now, but that was embarrassing. All these little, old, quiet people with their families. Then there's us. Oh well. Where Mom is is Republican Country, and she is was Clinton, and l'm seriously to the left of Saunders.
Please elaborate. I have intrigue.

nickle7

Post by nickle7 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:14 pm

AndrewBennett wrote:This is one of the main reasons why i am against the Electoral College; it exists to deny the will of the people if the elites so wish.
Do you think the founders, living today, would still argue for an electoral college? Obviously, they couldn't have imagined the world of today, with our rapid paced communication which has changed the level of necessity for the citizens to be represented by a congressional member.
Seek how to think, not what to think.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:19 pm

Xenophon wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote: So basically Affirmative Action for unpopulated states?

The Presidency is a national office, therefore, the vote should be a national vote. There's no reason to make sectional distinctions anymore. Besides, if the other sides wants its policies, then it needs to work harder to get the vote out.

Lastly, the Electoral College is not what's preventing us from dictating policy to the rest of the states. The makeup of the House and Senate ensure equal representation of the smaller states.

Furthermore, the Electoral College must be destroyed
There is no singular American culture. Appalachia's concerns are not California's concerns. The Mid-West's concerns are not New York City's concerns. In some cases, they hold opposing viewpoints. Is the ideal scenario here to allow the densely populated urban bubbles to dictate national policy from the Presidency? As a citizen of one of the states that is routinely mocked by liberal bubbles, I sure as heck don't want those people bringing down from on high their collectivist nonsense and forcing it upon the unwilling. Rural and less populated areas should not be pigeonholed into spending their tax dollars on programs they are politically or ideologically opposed to.

The Electoral College is a bulwark against the tyranny of direct democracy. Give me even one real world situation in which a direct democratic vote has ever done anything but muck up a system? You live in California for Pete's sake, AB.
It should be doubly evident to you.
Then its time to break up the country. My vote shouldn't be worth less than someone who lives in the Midwest just because my state is more populated. I'm not 3/5 of a citizen
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:20 pm

nickle7 wrote:
AndrewBennett wrote:This is one of the main reasons why i am against the Electoral College; it exists to deny the will of the people if the elites so wish.
Do you think the founders, living today, would still argue for an electoral college? Obviously, they couldn't have imagined the world of today, with our rapid paced communication which has changed the level of necessity for the citizens to be represented by a congressional member.
Yes I think so. I think the college is operating under the same principle they intended for it regarding the population density to vote weight ratio. That or it was a happy accident but I suspect there is something written by one of them that explained the tyranny of the urban over the rural. It's an ages old dynamic and one they likely sought to mitigate.

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:23 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:
nickle7 wrote:
Yes I think so. I think the college is operating under the same principle they intended for it regarding the population density to vote weight ratio. That or it was a happy accident but I suspect their is something written by one of them that explained the tyranny of the urban over the rural. It's an ages old dynamic and one they likely sought to mitigate.
That's what they put on the surface. In reality it was to have a safety valve against the wishes of the proles.

There's no reason for it in a national office. Congress is set up to ensure that the rural people are not dominated by the urban
No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:24 pm

What's a congress?

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:29 pm

TheReal_ND wrote:What's a congress?
Yeah, I guess since all they do is write pork laws and squabble with each other they're pretty neutered