THE ERA OF TRUMP

pineapplemike

Re: THE ERA OF TRUMP

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:53 pm

wtf happened to the anti-war left
Thirty Afghan civilians killed in U.S. air strike, officials say
NOVEMBER 28, 2018
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-afgh ... SKCN1NX1N8

At least 30 Afghan civilians were killed in U.S. air strikes in the Afghan province of Helmand, officials and residents of the area said on Wednesday, the latest casualties from a surge in air operations aimed at driving the Taliban into talks.

Women and 16 children were among the dead.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Women and 16 children.

It's really amazing how the media works. Men.. meh. Fuck those guys. They can burn in hellfire missiles. Sixteen children.. that's bad, but we need to go with women first before sixteen children, because OMFG.

Not, this drone strike killed <x> people, including sixteen children. Nah.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:10 pm

what? literally the first sentence was "30 afghan civilians killed"

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:17 pm

I am talking about the sentence that said women and 16 children were dead.

Instead of feigning outrage, just stop and consider how sexist that really is. Are women incapable of being enemy combatants? Women dying in war, even potential combatants, is always on par with children dying? Seriously?

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:21 pm

Oh, and -- news flash -- war fucking sucks. Don't act shocked when you read headlines about how horrific it is and then pretend like you had nothing to do with it. This is a democracy, after all, and these warmongering politicians we are saddled with are the product of an electorate that for the most part doesn't serve, so.. look in the mirror, I guess.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:24 pm

In any case, it's not like it matters much. Last time the majority of the electorate decided they actually really gave a shit about war they elected Jimmy Carter. So you are damned if you and damned if you don't, I suppose. Enjoy your drones!

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:07 pm

Speaker to Animals wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:03 pm
Women and 16 children.

It's really amazing how the media works. Men.. meh. Fuck those guys. They can burn in hellfire missiles. Sixteen children.. that's bad, but we need to go with women first before sixteen children, because OMFG.

Not, this drone strike killed <x> people, including sixteen children. Nah.
Reminds me of the clip from the "Red Pill" movie - how the media brushes over all the male deaths, but "OMG, women kidnapped?!? BRING BACK OUT GIRLS!!!" ... It plays on basic human emotions of course, especially female emotions.

...because really, who gives a fuck about thousands of slaughtered men and boys... Think about the girls!! :violin:

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:41 pm

There's no unseeing it once seen. Our civilization in particular is completely subservient to women and has been for a very long time. But the subservience is a double-edged sword for women who want to achieve things on their own merits and receive credit for their accomplishments. It's an anchor for those kinds of women.

These headlines humanize women and dehumanize men (literally by taking the word "men" out of titles), but it also means women are seen by most subconsciously as only adult children at best. Things that can be acted upon, but never agents for change by themselves. If the media wants to show women as an agent for change, they are always a member of some greater movement, and the movement gets the real credit (i.e. feminism).

That article just assumes at least some of the dead men are combatants. It doesn't bother to humanize any of them. But women are humanized even before children. The assumption being that women cannot possibly be legitimate combatants because they are less than. Only men are agents, and women can only be acted upon.
Last edited by Speaker to Animals on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pineapplemike

Post by pineapplemike » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:43 pm

my apologies, i probably should have quoted the article better, i fear i may have misled you into believing that the reuters article went out of their way to make the point that women and children were killed vs the men killed. here's the full quote
Helmand provincial governor Mohammad Yasin Khan said troops had called in air strikes against Taliban fighters in Garmsir, causing both civilian and Taliban casualties.

A resident of the area called Mohammadullah said the clash began late on Tuesday.

“Foreign forces bombed the area and the bombs hit my brother’s house,” he said.

He said women and 16 children were among the dead.

Another resident, Feda Mohammad, said some victims were still buried in the rubble of the compound.

“The area is under the control of Taliban but all of the victims of last night’s bombing are civilians,” he said.
in reality, i was the one that glossed over the "bombs hit my brother's house" part in favor of the "women and children were killed" part, probably because, when it comes to death by explosion, i care more about women and children than i do about men. you don't? (@ph64, i know STA doesn't)

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:44 pm

I care about men and women equally.