Hacking and AI....Also Tech replacing jobs. Does the Government have a plan?

skankhunt42

Hacking and AI....Also Tech replacing jobs. Does the Government have a plan?

Post by skankhunt42 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:24 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... a7804a7856

We've had Bill Gates to Stephen Hawking to Elon Musk to Kurzweil warning us about the future of AI and technology. Even today a script Kitty or 2 could create chaos on a local level. Forget the singularity, both political parties in America seem very behind what is coming with technology in the next decade. I base this on the Trump campaign. That's not a long term solution to try and bring back manufacturing jobs. What should be every nations long term solution to technology and cyber security?

I don't know enough about the living wage to say whether it's the way to go or not in the future, but I'd like to see a plan be put in place for the next 10 to even 100 years.

My question after all of that ramble is this:

Do you think the government has a plan for when technology changes society to the point where it's not recognizable?
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

TheReal_ND

Re: Hacking and AI....Also Tech replacing jobs. Does the Government have a plan?

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:34 pm

Yeah. I kind of saw it already outlined in an Atlantic article. They planned on the rust belt denizens just learning how to freelance and talked it up like everyone would have more free time for art and shit. While that's probably viable for the entrepreneurial sort, most of us just want jobs that pay a steady, livable wage. Short of helicopter money or a national dividend there isn't much the government can do to fill that void when they go for good to automation (which I believe is necessary for progress.) One possible thing the government could do I had touched on a little on the DCF. When I was in high school CISCO offered a certification course so they could recruit kids straight from high school because they had huge demand for anyone that could work for them. CISCO dropped that course while I was half way through it but this could have been a working model to a degree for training the work force coming up. Let's face it, they don't teach jack shit in high school and college is increasingly expensive so maybe companies could be encouraged to offer apprenticeships to students instead of looking for H1B workers. Just a thought.

nickle7

Re: Hacking and AI....Also Tech replacing jobs. Does the Government have a plan?

Post by nickle7 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:49 pm

I guess I'm having trouble with the premise of your question... The change in society will probably result in something unrecognizable to us in this moment, but we'll have progressed with it, at least to some degree. So I think it will be recognizable in the sense that the knowledge we have as individuals has progressed along with society. In other words, our society today would likely be unrecognizable in many ways to us 20 years ago.

It's certainly worth being concerned with things like AI, but it seems more likely to me that we will progress as people, technologically, to a point where we essentially become what we're currently calling AI. The distinction between us as people and technological machines I think will become less and less until there is little or no distinction at all. In that case, it's not tenable to have a plan to deal with AI.
Seek how to think, not what to think.

TheOneX

Post by TheOneX » Wed Nov 30, 2016 10:08 pm

This is something that is going to cause lots of issues, but is inevitable. No one seems to want to talk about it though. In the short term doing what we can to prevent jobs from being outsourced will help to soften the blow allowing the transition to happen more slowly. I'm not really sure how to deal with this. The basic income idea makes some sense, but it will be difficult to get people on board.

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:13 pm

TheOneX wrote:This is something that is going to cause lots of issues, but is inevitable. No one seems to want to talk about it though. In the short term doing what we can to prevent jobs from being outsourced will help to soften the blow allowing the transition to happen more slowly. I'm not really sure how to deal with this. The basic income idea makes some sense, but it will be difficult to get people on board.
You wrote how I feel about this. Specifically that the media doesn't pay this enough attention. It is inevitable. Which election will be the one to finally talk about this? 2032?
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:39 pm

Stone hand axe age - million years or so
Stone age hunter gatherer - hundred thousand years or so
Horse powered age - ten thousand years or so
Engine powered age - hundred years or so
Computer age - forty years or so

This is gonna be on top of us before we know it.
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

boethius

Post by boethius » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:47 pm

There was a big hollowing out of corporate middle management in the 90s.

What's coming to middle management through tech and AI in the 2020s will make the 90s look like an economic boom.

As Baby Boomers (who are most comfortable having human subordinates) are replaced by Millennial and Gen-X aged managers, humans in cubicles are going to be replaced by software and AI apps en masse.

As formerly middle and upper middle class people descend into poverty, we will finally have a big and broad push for solutions like Universal Basic Income.

The factory jobs are gone to robots. The only issue with Trump is whether those robots make stuff in the US or make stuff in China. I prefer it made by robots in the US for national security reasons.
Still got my foreskin thanks for asking. - Montegriffo.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:53 pm

X
Last edited by Fife on Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:27 am

I have a plan alright:

So the data center is owned by the NSA in Utah, not Area 51, whatever. And Google seems to be making great strides with their deep learning ai and quantum computing research...

Fuck yo Trump, fuck yo Teresa May, I'm backing HELIOS/DENTON FOR ETERNAL GLOBAL OVERLORD 2052! Who's with me?
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

Ex-California

Post by Ex-California » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:18 am

TheReal_ND wrote:Yeah. I kind of saw it already outlined in an Atlantic article. They planned on the rust belt denizens just learning how to freelance and talked it up like everyone would have more free time for art and shit. While that's probably viable for the entrepreneurial sort, most of us just want jobs that pay a steady, livable wage. Short of helicopter money or a national dividend there isn't much the government can do to fill that void when they go for good to automation (which I believe is necessary for progress.) One possible thing the government could do I had touched on a little on the DCF. When I was in high school CISCO offered a certification course so they could recruit kids straight from high school because they had huge demand for anyone that could work for them. CISCO dropped that course while I was half way through it but this could have been a working model to a degree for training the work force coming up. Let's face it, they don't teach jack shit in high school and college is increasingly expensive so maybe companies could be encouraged to offer apprenticeships to students instead of looking for H1B workers. Just a thought.
Bingo

No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session