The Professor Watch List

de officiis

The Professor Watch List

Post by de officiis » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:33 pm

The Professor Watch List
The mission of Professor Watchlist is to expose and document college professors who discriminate against conservative students and advance leftist propaganda in the classroom.

This website is an aggregated list of pre-existing news stories that were published by a variety of news organizations throughout the past few years. While we accept tips for new additions on our website, we only publish profiles on incidents that have already been reported somewhere else. TPUSA will continue to fight for free speech and the right for​​ professors to say whatever they wish​;​ however students, parents, and alumni deserve to know the specific incidents and names of professors that advance a radical agenda in lecture halls.
So, what are we to make of this? Freedom of association and the aggregation of truthful and publicly available information . . . seems like there should be no reason to object. I, for one, am glad to see someone pushing back against these corrosive "speech codes" that have sprung up on multiple campuses, as documented by the ever-vigilant Jonathan Turley. (For the latest, see https://jonathanturley.org/2016/11/30/c ... ee-speech/) For those on the "watch list," however, like George Yancy at Emory,
Those familiar with George Orwell’s “1984” will recall that “Newspeak was designed not to extend but to diminish the range of thought.” I recently felt the weight of this Orwellian ethos when many of my students sent emails to inform me . . . that my name appears on the Professor Watchlist . . . .
The new “watchlist” is essentially a new species of McCarthyism, especially in terms of its overtones of “disloyalty” to the American republic. And it is reminiscent of Cointelpro, the secret F.B.I. program that spied on, infiltrated and discredited American political organizations in the ’50s and ’60s. Its goal of “outing” professors for their views helps to create the appearance of something secretly subversive. It is a form of exposure designed to mark, shame and silence.
I sense more than a little hyperbole. Evidently, Mr. Yancy was added to the "watch list" because he authored the following OpEd at the New York Times:
If you are white, and you are reading this letter, I ask that you don’t run to seek shelter from your own racism. Don’t hide from your responsibility. Rather, begin, right now, to practice being vulnerable. Being neither a “good” white person nor a liberal white person will get you off the proverbial hook. I consider myself to be a decent human being. Yet, I’m sexist. Take another deep breath. I ask that you try to be “un-sutured.” If that term brings to mind a state of pain, open flesh, it is meant to do so. After all, it is painful to let go of your “white innocence,” to use this letter as a mirror, one that refuses to show you what you want to see, one that demands that you look at the lies that you tell yourself so that you don’t feel the weight of responsibility for those who live under the yoke of whiteness, your whiteness.
My view on this: There is no State action, no "big brother." Students and their families have a right to know who is pushing far left agendas, and what colleges employ them, so they can make informed decisions about where to go to school and whether to the school should be financially supported. The more information, the better, and if someone is out there aggregating the data and making it accessible, so much the better.

skankhunt42

Re: The Professor Watch List

Post by skankhunt42 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:45 pm

Joe Rogan's Podcast with Jordan Peterson crushes this topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

skankhunt42

Post by skankhunt42 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:46 pm

de officiis wrote:The Professor Watch List
The mission of Professor Watchlist is to expose and document college professors who discriminate against conservative students and advance leftist propaganda in the classroom.

This website is an aggregated list of pre-existing news stories that were published by a variety of news organizations throughout the past few years. While we accept tips for new additions on our website, we only publish profiles on incidents that have already been reported somewhere else. TPUSA will continue to fight for free speech and the right for​​ professors to say whatever they wish​;​ however students, parents, and alumni deserve to know the specific incidents and names of professors that advance a radical agenda in lecture halls.
So, what are we to make of this? Freedom of association and the aggregation of truthful and publicly available information . . . seems like there should be no reason to object. I, for one, am glad to see someone pushing back against these corrosive "speech codes" that have sprung up on multiple campuses, as documented by the ever-vigilant Jonathan Turley. (For the latest, see https://jonathanturley.org/2016/11/30/c ... ee-speech/) For those on the "watch list," however, like George Yancy at Emory,
Those familiar with George Orwell’s “1984” will recall that “Newspeak was designed not to extend but to diminish the range of thought.” I recently felt the weight of this Orwellian ethos when many of my students sent emails to inform me . . . that my name appears on the Professor Watchlist . . . .
The new “watchlist” is essentially a new species of McCarthyism, especially in terms of its overtones of “disloyalty” to the American republic. And it is reminiscent of Cointelpro, the secret F.B.I. program that spied on, infiltrated and discredited American political organizations in the ’50s and ’60s. Its goal of “outing” professors for their views helps to create the appearance of something secretly subversive. It is a form of exposure designed to mark, shame and silence.
I sense more than a little hyperbole. Evidently, Mr. Yancy was added to the "watch list" because he authored the following OpEd at the New York Times:
If you are white, and you are reading this letter, I ask that you don’t run to seek shelter from your own racism. Don’t hide from your responsibility. Rather, begin, right now, to practice being vulnerable. Being neither a “good” white person nor a liberal white person will get you off the proverbial hook. I consider myself to be a decent human being. Yet, I’m sexist. Take another deep breath. I ask that you try to be “un-sutured.” If that term brings to mind a state of pain, open flesh, it is meant to do so. After all, it is painful to let go of your “white innocence,” to use this letter as a mirror, one that refuses to show you what you want to see, one that demands that you look at the lies that you tell yourself so that you don’t feel the weight of responsibility for those who live under the yoke of whiteness, your whiteness.
My view on this: There is no State action, no "big brother." Students and their families have a right to know who is pushing far left agendas, and what colleges employ them, so they can make informed decisions about where to go to school and whether to the school should be financially supported. The more information, the better, and if someone is out there aggregating the data and making it accessible, so much the better.
As a teacher I completely agree with your last statement. Transparency is important in education. Teachers should teach you how to make decisions for yourself. They should not tell you what to think.
"just realize that our Welfare states are also propped up by your Warfare. You're not actually defending us from threats, but you are propping us up by fabricating threats to maintain the Perpetual War." - Smitty

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:33 pm

This kind of reminds me of the "SJW list" that was being generated. While that list was kind of stupid, but funny, this kind of list is probably valuable for deciding how to spend your money. I kind of get the impression that most professors are leftists in varying degrees though.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:21 am

Vox Day's SJW list was a bit too much like SJW behavior for my taste. But this kind of list serves a good purpose. Students and parents should benefit from some information as to what kind of person is teaching a university class.

This indoctrination mentality is best defeated by giving people a chance to choose another class.

Paulo

Post by Paulo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:30 am

skankhunt42 wrote:
de officiis wrote:The Professor Watch List

As a teacher I completely agree with your last statement. Transparency is important in education. Teachers should teach you how to make decisions for yourself. They should not tell you what to think.

Are you insane? What does all that BS mean? What is leftist? righttist? or other ists? Man, this is typical from people that can't stand a more open view.

Being a teacher is soooo more than just being left or right. It's knowledge, it's example, it's someone who aspire you. Those labels are the worst thing you can do for a person, even more for a teacher. I had bad teachers and teachers that I will never forget, it's life. I can agree with the right on some things and with the left in anothers, can't you?

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:07 am

de officiis wrote:
Good works alone cannot save you, as you are born in sin. You must accept the one true religion.

My natural inclination is against such practices, but authoritarian cultists and, above all, anti-intellectuals seem to have infiltrated the academy.

I just now read a FB post from a lefty, but free speech academic. But, he is asserting that these are examples of open questions in the current climate:

In a discussion of the merits of affirmative action, may a student argue against it?

May a student express zer support of Donald Trump?

Yep, these people need to be handled. That's not really academic freedom, anymore than someone usurping a biology class to teach creationism, and prohibit discussion of Darwinism.

Paulo

Post by Paulo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:47 am

LVH2 wrote:
de officiis wrote:
Good works alone cannot save you, as you are born in sin. You must accept the one true religion.

My natural inclination is against such practices, but authoritarian cultists and, above all, anti-intellectuals seem to have infiltrated the academy.

I just now read a FB post from a lefty, but free speech academic. But, he is asserting that these are examples of open questions in the current climate:

In a discussion of the merits of affirmative action, may a student argue against it?

May a student express zer support of Donald Trump?

Yep, these people need to be handled. That's not really academic freedom, anymore than someone usurping a biology class to teach creationism, and prohibit discussion of Darwinism.

WOW! Did see how many labels you use ? Academic freedom is not a valid reason for someone to teach "Paulism", my brand new theory about the idiocy of labeling everything with words that can have no meaning. There is freedom do discuss everything in civil ways, always have, but the point of education is to make people better with more knowledge. I cannot demand that you teach "Paulism" because I say that is freedom, if and is a big if, "Paulism" is stupid and wrong, don't waste time with it, don't lead other to error or less knowledge, don't make their life worst. I guess that's why you don't have alternative math.

LVH2

Post by LVH2 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:15 am

You can teach just about whatever you want, so long as you provide a decent education on the subject.

You cannot take over academic positions for the purpose of promoting Paulism and prohibiting criticism of it, or discussion of competing ideologies and theories. If you do that, you're anti-intellectual.

People at least have the right to know if anti-intellectual cultists are assuming positions at universities.

You'd also have a right to know if a scientologist took over an English department, only taught L. Ron and prohibited criticism.

Paulo

Post by Paulo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:29 pm

LVH2 wrote:You can teach just about whatever you want, so long as you provide a decent education on the subject.

You cannot take over academic positions for the purpose of promoting Paulism and prohibiting criticism of it, or discussion of competing ideologies and theories. If you do that, you're anti-intellectual.

People at least have the right to know if anti-intellectual cultists are assuming positions at universities.

You'd also have a right to know if a scientologist took over an English department, only taught L. Ron and prohibited criticism.

I guess I agree with you on some parts. You can't prohibit something without a good reason. And for me, a good reason is that the subject is wrong and is a waste of time and lead people to believe in things that will doing harm for them and others.

For example: What good Scientology does for the person? other than Tom Cruise? :D