How's that Obamacare Repeal Working Out For You?

Fife

Re: How's that Obamacare Repeal Working Out For You?

Post by Fife » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:10 pm

The baby is from the UK not the USA. The poor child's parents sought relief for their child through treatments available in the USA, which is--spoiler alert--strictly verboten.

Rationing "healthcare" works just like rationing any other private good; powerless people suffer and die.

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:15 pm

Well, the wealthiest nation on the planet earth could ration some pretty damn good health care if we chose to.

But if I'm to understand the political adds, we have far more pressing concerns with the woefully underfunded military we have....

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:16 pm

Not about rationing healthcare at all. It's about ending the suffering of a severely brain damaged child with a terminal illness. Money didn't come into it until some experimental treatment was offered by a foriegn entity eager to make cash out of the parents tragic position.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:17 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:Well, the wealthiest nation on the planet earth could ration some pretty damn good health care if we chose to.

But if I'm to understand the political adds, we have far more pressing concerns with the woefully underfunded military we have....
What is the UK when it comes to ready cash, Mozambique?

Fife

Post by Fife » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:18 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Not about rationing healthcare at all. It's about ending the suffering of a severely brain damaged child with a terminal illness. Money didn't come into it until some experimental treatment was offered by a foriegn entity eager to make cash out of the parents tragic position.
Thank Providence the crown was there to save that baby and those parents from becoming victims. So brave.

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:20 pm

Montegriffo wrote:Not about rationing healthcare at all. It's about ending the suffering of a severely brain damaged child with a terminal illness. Money didn't come into it until some experimental treatment was offered by a foriegn entity eager to make cash out of the parents tragic position.
Though it was fairly obvious that the child's case was hopeless because of the brain damage the child had already suffered, I don't believe that should be someone else's call... what do the people of the UK lose when that family goes to the US to seek experimental treatment with donated money?

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Fife wrote:
Viktorthepirate wrote:Well, the wealthiest nation on the planet earth could ration some pretty damn good health care if we chose to.

What is the UK when it comes to ready cash, Mozambique?
It's all about priorities.

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:
Though it was fairly obvious that the child's case was hopeless because of the brain damage the child had already suffered, I don't believe that should be someone else's call... what do the people of the UK lose when that family goes to the US to seek experimental treatment with donated money?
Nothing but that's not the point. The point is that the childs suffering would be extended for no good reason. The doctors and the courts were acting in the childs interests only.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

Speaker to Animals

Post by Speaker to Animals » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:25 pm

You definitely don't help this pro-socialized medicine side with crazy talk about killing patients you deem not worth treating.

Viktorthepirate

Post by Viktorthepirate » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:26 pm

If he's damn near brain dead... what suffering? Someone in that condition can't really experience pain, suffering, or much of anything at all.

I could be wrong though, not a doctor myself. But I wouldn't discount political considerations being a factor in that decision.