Compelled Speech in Canada

Martin Hash

Re: Compelled Speech in Canada

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:10 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Where did you get that WSBA signed onto the ABA pledge thing?
The ABA website lists all the signatories to, I scrolled down to the W's to check, and there was the "Washington State Bar Association" listed therein.
I don't belong to the ABA, and I wish there wasn't an WSBA but there is, and they are under auspices of government because I can't practice without their approval.

There's quite a leap between a know-someone-who-wrote-something & I have to physically sign some bullshit document. I'm absolutely certain a pledge like that would get legal challenge. Unfortunately, Washington is a damn near Marxist State, with elected Supreme Court justices, so it'd have to go all the way to SCOTUS to stop their terror. Not a lot of people can hold their career that long...
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:12 pm

Martin Hash wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
Martin Hash wrote:Where did you get that WSBA signed onto the ABA pledge thing?
The ABA website lists all the signatories to, I scrolled down to the W's to check, and there was the "Washington State Bar Association" listed therein.
I don't belong to the ABA, and I wish there wasn't an WSBA but there is, and they are under auspices of government because I can't practice without their approval.

There's quite a leap between a know-someone-who-wrote-something & I have to physically sign some bullshit document. I'm absolutely certain a pledge like that would get legal challenge. Unfortunately, Washington is a damn near Marxist State, with elected Supreme Court justices, so it'd have to go all the way to SCOTUS to stop their terror. Not a lot of people can hold their career that long...
You still wanna be famous?
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:17 pm

Told y'all I was right, US lawyers are signing very similar pledges, so suck a dick dumb shits.
Last edited by StCapps on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:20 pm

Martin Hash wrote:. Unfortunately, Washington is a damn near Marxist State, with elected Supreme Court justices, so it'd have to go all the way to SCOTUS to stop their terror. Not a lot of people can hold their career that long...
Well, same thing here, except, I don't think the Law Society would actually take it court, if some of the lawyers refused to sign the pledge, I bet the Law Society would back down if the lawyers called the bluff, the issue is more, as I said, market forces, it's not about state force, it's not the Crown imposing this sort of thing, it's the liberal media and associated academic elites, it's not the government using state force, it's the media using propaganda, and that is much more difficult to defend against.

Which lawyers want to be castigated as the poltically incorrect lawyers? Some might wear it as a badge of honour, but most would probably cave to it, not because they were going to be disbarred, just because they would fear it to be bad for business.

It's not whether or not a lawyer could beat this in court, they could, the issue is more, how many would even bother, and how many would just go with the flow, to avoid the bad press?

They're not worried about being disbarred, they're worried about making partner, it's not the government they are worried about, it's the firms.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:28 pm

The Yanks thought they were better than us, trying to act like they were too good for that shit, not in liberty nation said they, but they are pretty much the same, typical American hubris.
*yip*

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 pm

If you want to make big money as a lawyer in Ontario, you need to get in to one the big Bay Street Firms, and you're not going to make the big bucks, unless you make partner, and the Bay Street Firms are not going to take you, if you're the lawyer who fought the diversity pledge, those firms are corporations, and they work for corporations, so the coercion here, is about coporate money, not the Queen.
Nec Aspera Terrent

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:33 pm

Is this some kind of joke?

The Canadians are comparing having to sign a "one page pledge" to "disability diversity" to having to "prepare and submit a personal “Statement of Principles” attesting that we value and promote equality, diversity and inclusion".
:lol:
  • In the USA - Sign this paper about disability diversity.

In Canada - Write us a personal paper attesting that you value and will promote equality, diversity and inclusion.
Forcing someone to write a paper they don't agree with is compelling their speech.
Asking someone to sign something they don't agree with is called filing taxes.

Night and day, boy-o's.

A for effort!
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:37 pm

Meh, I don't think so, that's more like the difference between twilight and early evening.

Being compelled to sign something, being compelled to write something, six of one, half dozen of another.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

StCapps

Post by StCapps » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:39 pm

Hairsplit much? This is what you resort to when caught with your hand in the cookie jar DB? Sad.

Keep moving them goalposts though, it's amusing.
*yip*

DBTrek

Post by DBTrek » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:47 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:Meh, I don't think so, that's more like the difference between twilight and early evening.

Being compelled to sign something, being compelled to write something, six of one, half dozen of another.
StCapps wrote:Hairsplit much? This is what you resort to when caught with your hand in the cookie jar DB? Sad.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

So . . . having read the ABA Pledge for Change: Disability Diversity in the Legal Profession there is absolutely nothing in there indicating it's mandatory for legal professionals to sign. Nada. Zip. Zero. Zilch. It's a pledge that legal professionals and organizations may voluntarily take, should they so wish.

Canada on the other hand - we'll, you best get to writing your personal pro-SJW manifesto if you want to be practicing law in Ontario, because the Law Society of Upper Canada has already put you on notice of your "New obligations for 2017”, and titled the subject line, “Actions you need to take” in case there was any confusion.

So hop to, pleb.
If you want to skip writing leftist manifestos so you can have employment you need to GTFO of Canada and go to America where pledging is optional.
"Hey varmints, don't mess with a guy that's riding a buffalo"