Boating in Norway is still dangerous.

Montegriffo

Re: Europe, Boring Until it's Not

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:53 am

Otern wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:43 am
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47680055

When did they stop fixing the furniture on boats firmly to the floor?
Done for convenience and to make cleaning easier I suppose but most of the injuries would have been caused by being hit by flying tables etc.
When I sailed to France a couple of weeks ago in a force 7-9 gale they had to shut the duty free shop because the bottles were flying off the shelves. I was sat nearby and could hear them constantly crashing on the floor during the whole voyage. The stench of cheap whisky made me feel more sick than the rolling of the boat.
Poor design, boats get thrown around during big seas and the construction of shelves etc should reflect this.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:40 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:53 am
Otern wrote:

Done for convenience and to make cleaning easier I suppose but most of the injuries would have been caused by being hit by flying tables etc.
When I sailed to France a couple of weeks ago in a force 7-9 gale they had to shut the duty free shop because the bottles were flying off the shelves. I was sat nearby and could hear them constantly crashing on the floor during the whole voyage. The stench of cheap whisky made me feel more sick than the rolling of the boat.
Poor design, boats get thrown around during big seas and the construction of shelves etc should reflect this.
Man made disaster, no doubt.

1 - they shouldn’t be sailing cruise ships into storms in that area. Probably happened because corporate told them to stay on schedule.

2 - the crew probably doesn’t know their ass from a hole in the ground.

3 - they evacuated passengers before they put down the anchor??
SJWs are a natural consequence of corporatism.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

https://youtu.be/CYbT8-rSqo0

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:43 am

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:40 am
Montegriffo wrote:
Otern wrote:

1 - they shouldn’t be sailing cruise ships into storms in that area. Probably happened because corporate told them to stay on schedule.

They couldn't put down the anchor until they managed to re-start one of the engines and move away from the rocks.
For legal reasons, we are not threatening to destroy U.S. government property with our glorious medieval siege engine. But if we wanted to, we could. But we won’t. But we could.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:48 am

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:43 am
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Montegriffo wrote:

They couldn't put down the anchor until they managed to re-start one of the engines and move away from the rocks.
Not likely. They were already drifting powerless. First order of business is to drop anchor, if able.

But... I admit I don’t know whether those ships require engine power in order to do so. It’s not the same as kicking a pony keg over the bow.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Montegriffo

Post by Montegriffo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:01 pm

SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:48 am
Montegriffo wrote:
SuburbanFarmer wrote:

Not likely. They were already drifting powerless. First order of business is to drop anchor, if able.

But... I admit I don’t know whether those ships require engine power in order to do so. It’s not the same as kicking a pony keg over the bow.
I think the fact that they did not drop anchor when drifting towards the rocks indicates that they were not able to do it without engine power or that they were already in dangerous waters and needed to move offshore before doing so, but like you I don't have the information to know for sure.
The ship has since restarted 3 of its 4 engines and is now safely back in harbour.

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:12 pm

My first point stands though. There’s just no excuse for sailing a cruise ship into a storm like that in a bad area. There’s just way too much technology available.

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

SuburbanFarmer

Post by SuburbanFarmer » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:14 pm

Montegriffo wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:01 pm
SuburbanFarmer wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:48 am
Montegriffo wrote:

I think the fact that they did not drop anchor when drifting towards the rocks indicates that they were not able to do it without engine power or that they were already in dangerous waters and needed to move offshore before doing so, but like you I don't have the information to know for sure.
The ship has since restarted 3 of its 4 engines and is now safely back in harbour.
If a drunk passenger can do it...

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/ ... enger-brig

Formerly GrumpyCatFace

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:06 am

"Communism." Here's an interesting longish read from CJ.

Psst: Capitalism isn't really an "ism," it's just what human beings do. It doesn't require books, or guns, or politicians to function. In fact, all of those things fuck the organic IRL process up.

Rebelicious
A visit to the Fête de l’Humanité in Paris, a Marxist jamboree

Arun and Esin finally got through the lines and to the Agora of Humanity, where we agreed to meet if we were separated. Next to the Agora stood a massive Che Rebel Spirit energy drink stand. I was thirsty. “Consumed iced, or mixed in revolutionary cocktails, Che Rebel Spirit perfectly combines that ‘Rebel’ feeling with a unique and ‘Delicious’ taste,” said the brochure. “Be the first to discover a new REBELICIOUS energy drink!”

“What does Communism mean to you?” I asked the guy restocking their coolers. He gave me a big shrug, a wide smile, and said what most people did: aucune idée—absolutely no idea. So I asked the kid who sold me an icy Rebel Spirit. “It’s being against capitalism,” he told me. He also told me that the Perrier would be a euro, or I could have Evian for 50 centimes. Or guarana juice: 1.50 euros. Three kinds of beer were on tap, but I wasn’t sure about the toilet situation, so I decided to pass.

Che’s face was on posters, drinks, T-shirts, and tattoos, but Castro was invisible. So was Stalin. So, for that matter, was Lenin. Che was the man. The real Che would have executed everyone at the festival.