Compelled Speech in Canada

Viktorthepirate

Re: Compelled Speech in Canada

Post by Viktorthepirate » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:49 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
DBTrek wrote:I'm noticing a trend away from "compelled speech" toward general coercion.
Now we got Capps in here talking about government is force, so obviously anyone who has a problem with swearing oaths to SJWs is an anarchist.
:lol:

No one said government coercion is abhorrent.
We're talking about "compelling speech", guys.
Sorry to drop that roadblock in the middle of your escape route.
Like I said, I don't find it abhorrent in of itself, if you take the Queen's Schilling, she can compel you to speak, if you don't like it, don't take the Queen's Schilling, problem solved.

If you work for the government, they can compel you to sign things, if you don't sign it, you're fired, no change there, working for the government, as it has always been.

The only constitutional protection against being compelled to speak, is self incrimination in a court of law, that doesn't protect you from having to speak government policy when you're working for them.
All attorneys are government employees in Canada?

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Viktorthepirate wrote:
Smitty-48 wrote:
DBTrek wrote:I'm noticing a trend away from "compelled speech" toward general coercion.
Now we got Capps in here talking about government is force, so obviously anyone who has a problem with swearing oaths to SJWs is an anarchist.

No one said government coercion is abhorrent.
We're talking about "compelling speech", guys.
Sorry to drop that roadblock in the middle of your escape route.
Like I said, I don't find it abhorrent in of itself, if you take the Queen's Schilling, she can compel you to speak, if you don't like it, don't take the Queen's Schilling, problem solved.

If you work for the government, they can compel you to sign things, if you don't sign it, you're fired, no change there, working for the government, as it has always been.

The only constitutional protection against being compelled to speak, is self incrimination in a court of law, that doesn't protect you from having to speak government policy when you're working for them.
All attorneys are government employees in Canada?
No, but you are required by the government to be a member of the bar association to get a law licence.

But guess what? That applies to 32 US states and the District of Columbia as well.

So, for example, in DBTrek's home state, Washington State, it's the same, as far as I can see, you have to be a member of the WSBA to practice law in Washington State.

And so when the ABA puts forth this diversity pledge here....
ABA Pledge for Change: Disability Diversity in the Legal Profession

In furthering its commitment to diversity in the legal profession, the ABA Commission on Disability Rights is promoting “Disability Diversity in the Legal Profession: A Pledge for Change,” a one-page pledge for legal employers to sign. The Pledge affirms the signatory’s commitment to diversity, specifically disability diversity, and recognizes that diversity is in the best interest of the profession, those the profession serves, as well as the organization making the commitment. The Pledge also announces that the signatory will encourage others in the legal industry to make this commitment.

The Pledge was created in response to the lack of lawyers with disabilities in the profession, and was the centerpiece of the Second ABA National Conference on the Employment of Lawyers with Disabilities held in June 2009. Its distribution was approved by the ABA Board of Governors Operations and Communications Committee. In 2012, the Pledge was amended to specifically include judges and judiciaries as signatories. In 2014, the Pledge was again amended to include law schools and state and local bar associations.
... and the WSBA signed on to the pledge, which it did, now you have to make that pledge as a member of the bar association in Washington State, and you have to be a member of the Bar in Washington State, to practice law there.

Hence, exact same situation where DBTrek is living, as it is here in Ontario, from what I can see. Oh, and Marty Hash too.
Last edited by Smitty-48 on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nec Aspera Terrent

de officiis

Post by de officiis » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Smitty-48 wrote:
apeman wrote:
GrumpyCatFace wrote: I'm pretty sure we'd know about it.

MHF lawyers, chime in.
Just saw this thread for first time (I was like "canada? pffft")

No fucking way would I sign this toxic garbage.

I can add that in the last year or so the NY Bar Association has issued some statements using the same marxist language, I don't like it, but the NY Bar Association can do whatever it wants, I am not a member and I don't have to be.*

*they must be desperate for members, I got a phone call offering membership for half-off, no thanks, month later got offered a free membership, and the thought of spending two minutes giving my info over the phone was too high a barrier, no thanks
32 states and the District of Columbia require you to be a member of the bar association, no?

So called "mandatory, integrated, unified bar", is that not so?
Some bar associations are mandatory in order to practice law in that jurisdiction; others are voluntary. For example the D.C. Bar is mandatory and is ultimately controlled by the D.C. Court of Appeals, but the Bar Association of the District of Columbia is voluntary.

Typically in most states you have to be admitted to the bar for that state in order to practice in any of the state courts therein (e.g., the Ohio Bar Association to practice in Ohio). Federal courts typically require you to be admitted to the state courts for the jurisdiction to which their territory extends. Courts like the D.C. Court of Appeals and the Ohio Supreme Court establish bar rules governing attorney conduct (e.g., https://www.dcbar.org/bar-resources/leg ... ded-rules/), and attorneys can be fined, reprimanded, and disbarred if those rules are broken.

The American Bar Association is a voluntary bar association that has established model rules of professional conduct which have been widely adopted throughout the U.S. Thus, even though a lawyer doesn't need to be a member of the ABA, the ABA has had a major influence on how the rules that are mandatory are shaped.

Martin Hash

Post by Martin Hash » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:10 pm

Where did you get that WSBA signed onto the ABA pledge thing?
Shamedia, Shamdemic, Shamucation, Shamlection, Shamconomy & Shamate Change

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:15 pm

Yeah, and apparently Washinton State, home of DBTrek and Marty Hash, is exaclty the same as Ontario, unified bar, and ABA diversity pledge taken by, so same-same, DBTrek and Marty Hash, government coercion in Liberty Nation after all, who knew? lol.
Nec Aspera Terrent

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:16 pm

There is confusion between admitted to the state bar versus private bar associations.

The state (and all federal district courts in NY) have certified that I am admitted to practice.

Different then joining NY bar association:

http://www.nysba.org
The New York State Bar Association (NYSBA) is a voluntary bar association for the state of New York. The goals of the association are to cultivate the science of jurisprudence; to promote reform in the law; to facilitate the administration of justice, and to elevate the standards of integrity, honor, professional skill, and courtesy in the legal profession
Private club that offers resources to its members and lobbies. It's gay.

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:16 pm

Martin Hash wrote:Where did you get that WSBA signed onto the ABA pledge thing?
The ABA website lists all the signatories to, I scrolled down to the W's to check, and there was the "Washington State Bar Association" listed therein.
Nec Aspera Terrent

apeman

Post by apeman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:25 pm

No one proved that Canada isn't full retard, you just proved that we are a step or two behind

Okeefenokee

Post by Okeefenokee » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:32 pm

StCapps wrote:
DBTrek wrote:Maybe it's only prevalent in Canada.

That would explain why you and Smitty are like "What kool-aid?"
And all the Americans are like "DON'T DRINK THAT!!!"
Or maybe Americans just like to pretend it's only prevalent in Canada, to comfort themselves. I bet tons you signed a similar bullshit paper your employer asked you to sign, at some point, preaching equality and inclusiveness and all that nice sounding cultural marxist doublespeak, you just didn't stop to read it, so you forgot about it.
:lol: This is hilarious.

What do you mean? I thought everyone was getting pegged? No way it was just me. Come on. Y'all did it too. Right?
GrumpyCatFace wrote:Dumb slut partied too hard and woke up in a weird house. Ran out the door, weeping for her failed life choices, concerned townsfolk notes her appearance and alerted the fuzz.

viewtopic.php?p=60751#p60751

Smitty-48

Post by Smitty-48 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:48 pm

apeman wrote:No one proved that Canada isn't full retard, you just proved that we are a step or two behind
I'm not trying to prove anything, I just figured that the same sort of thing was going on in the USA, so I checked, and it is, although, I'm not going to try to red ass you Americans about it, not even worth it, this is chickenshit, when I want to troll you, I'm not going to bother with this kind of junk, I'll be bringing the heat, bet dat.

I wait for the right time and place to pounce, when you're already upset and off balance, then come out of nowhere to salt the gaping wounds, it's all about timing, I'm an ambush predator.
Nec Aspera Terrent