Let's Riff on the next Tech/Social Revolution

Fife

Re: Let's Riff on the next Tech/Social Revolution

Post by Fife » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:52 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Fife wrote:Whatever the state subsidizes, we will get more of.

I'm doubtful of the prospects of subsidizing freeloading.
Dude, it's the new and improved Communism.
All the benefits of being a Marxist with none of the responsibility.
Get on board.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" doesn't work.
So the millennials and StA are opting for "To each according to his need" - fuck the rest of it.

That shit is going to be EPIC.
You'll see.
I mean, after the magic economy kicks in.
:twisted:
The magic is already in the air. California is catching the fever for the flavor! California Democrats Just Voted for Single-Payer Healthcare But Have No Idea How to Pay for It :goteam: :drunk:

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:06 pm

DBTrek wrote:So, Dr. Y, satiated?
You've seen this thing run it's cours now, or what?
It's been a good riff!

I don't have the answers.

All I can say is that it's hard to predict the impact of this.

I'm sure the folks in the agricultural age had no idea what the future of industrialization was going to look like either.
What I'm not buying is that AI and Robotics will have no impact on our social structures.
It can't really be same old, same old.... and we will see the impacts in the next two decades.
This is moving pretty fast now. The advancement in machine learning in just the past two years has been staggering.

I'm guessing different nations will take different approaches to the problem and the winners and losers will look obvious in retrospect.

The industrial revolution worked things out this way. Democracies and Capitalism won the day...

I'm not calling Doomsday or Utopia... but there is a wide spectrum of possibilities.

Yuval Harari's book Homo Deus is a thought provoking exploration of the coming challenges.

Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

heydaralon

Post by heydaralon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:10 pm

DrYouth wrote:
DBTrek wrote:So, Dr. Y, satiated?
You've seen this thing run it's cours now, or what?
It's been a good riff!

I don't have the answers.

All I can say is that it's hard to predict the impact of this.

I'm sure the folks in the agricultural age had no idea what the future of industrialization was going to look like either.
What I'm not buying is that AI and Robotics will have no impact on our social structures.
It can't really be same old, same old.... and we will see the impacts in the next two decades.
This is moving pretty fast now. The advancement in machine learning in just the past two years has been staggering.

I'm guessing different nations will take different approaches to the problem and the winners and losers will look obvious in retrospect.

The industrial revolution worked things out this way. Democracies and Capitalism won the day...

I'm not calling Doomsday or Utopia... but there is a wide spectrum of possibilities.

Yuval Harari's book Homo Deus is a thought provoking exploration of the coming challenges.

Sapiens was great, but his follow up book was kind of lousy imo. It is silly to reflexively hate all new tech, but it is equally silly to don rose colored glasses like Harari does when discussing genetic engineering and the like.
Shikata ga nai

Ph64

Post by Ph64 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:40 pm

DBTrek wrote:
Fife wrote:Whatever the state subsidizes, we will get more of.

I'm doubtful of the prospects of subsidizing freeloading.
Dude, it's the new and improved Communism.
All the benefits of being a Marxist with none of the responsibility.
Get on board.

"From each according to his ability, to each according to his need" doesn't work.
So the millennials and StA are opting for "To each according to his need" - fuck the rest of it.

That shit is going to be EPIC.
You'll see.
I mean, after the magic economy kicks in.
:twisted:
"We take everything, and dole out to you what we think you should have."

TheReal_ND

Post by TheReal_ND » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:44 pm

But muh minimum wage I think I deserve to be able to live on one.

Everyone does realize that all this shit is designed to level all the working class out to be the same right? Even just raising the minimum wage creates inflation to the point where actual skilled tradesmen's money doesn't go as far. It's soft communism.

Fife

Post by Fife » Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:48 pm

NEED MOAR PEPSI

WHERES MUH EBT

DrYouth

Post by DrYouth » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:28 pm

heydaralon wrote: Sapiens was great, but his follow up book was kind of lousy imo. It is silly to reflexively hate all new tech, but it is equally silly to don rose colored glasses like Harari does when discussing genetic engineering and the like.
I like Sapiens better... but Homo Deus was thought provoking.
I like his take on Humanism as an ideology and the implications the coming tech will likely have on it.
We kind of take Humanism for granted as we are so immersed in it.
Deep down tho, I still thirst to kill you and eat you. Ultra Chimp can't help it.. - Smitty

KerningChameleon

Post by KerningChameleon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:31 pm

DBTrek wrote:So really it boils down to "In my imaginary boogey-man world the government has to take care of us all. But that's only in the future, when we have a magical futuristic economy that produces wealth from apathy."
You know, feudalism ruled the world too, and for centuries at that... until it suddenly didn't anymore. What's that, you say? Some bullshit about Enlightenment philosophers and a rising merchant class? Well, what do you think enabled that shit in the first place? Technology! Without the printing press and shit like the cotton gin, you could never have gotten that kind of critical mass without being primed by mass printed books increasing literacy rates and machines that force multiplied labor to the extent it really started raking in the profits for the owners.

"No sir, I say this German fellow and his silly little ink stamper are nothing to worry about. The landed aristocracy are the guiding force in the modern world, and a few more unartistically formatted books in the hands of the unwashed certainly won't change that!"

Yeah, capitalism isn't obsolete yet. Maybe you're right, and this time won't be different. But here's the thing: it only had to be different once to finally upend feudalism and turbofuck the old nobility so fast their heads literally spun in the public square. Only this time, the Nuevo-Aristocrats learned from their progenitors' mistakes and realized they needed fortified bunkers halfway around the globe, ready to bugout the moment shit starts hitting the fan. This time? It'll be the poor and (what's left of) middleclass that get turbofucked if we're unprepared.
Last edited by KerningChameleon on Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Old World Blues.' It refers to those so obsessed with the past they can't see the present, much less the future, for what it is. They stare into the what-was...as the realities of their world continue on around them." -Fallout New Vegas

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:34 pm

DrYouth wrote:
heydaralon wrote: Sapiens was great, but his follow up book was kind of lousy imo. It is silly to reflexively hate all new tech, but it is equally silly to don rose colored glasses like Harari does when discussing genetic engineering and the like.
I like Sapiens better... but Homo Deus was thought provoking.
I like his take on Humanism as an ideology and the implications the coming tech will likely have on it.
We kind of take Humanism for granted as we are so immersed in it.
Humanism as in believing we are unique and that morphing into some kind of robotic cyborg is inherently inhumane?
The good, the true, & the beautiful

GloryofGreece

Post by GloryofGreece » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:37 pm

KerningChameleon wrote:
DBTrek wrote:So really it boils down to "In my imaginary boogey-man world the government has to take care of us all. But that's only in the future, when we have a magical futuristic economy that produces wealth from apathy."
You know, feudalism ruled the world too, and for centuries at that... until it suddenly didn't anymore. What's that, you say? Some bullshit about Enlightenment philosophers and a rising merchant class? Well, what do you think enabled that shit in the first place? Technology! Without the printing press and shit like the cotton gin, you could never have gotten that kind of critical mass without being primed by mass printed books increasing literacy rates and machines that force multiplied labor to the extent it really started raking in the profits for the owners.

"No sir, I say this German fellow and his silly little ink stamper are nothing to worry about. The landed aristocracy are the guiding force in the modern world, and a few more unartistically formatted books in the hands of the unwashed certainly won't change that!"

Yeah, capitalism isn't obsolete yet. Maybe you're right, and this time won't be different. But here's the thing: it only had to be different once to finally upend feudalism and turbofuck the old nobility so fast their heads literally spun in the public square. Only this time, the Nuevo-Aristocrats learned from their progenitors' mistakes and realized they needed fortified bunkers halfway around the globe, ready to bugout the moment shit starts hitting the fan. This time? It'll be the poor and (what's left of) middleclass that get turbofucked if we're unprepared.
They were "turbofucked" and butchered by the millions by the Bubonic Plague and putting down the countless "peasant revolts" of the 15-16th centuries followed by the Thirty Years War and so forth as well.
The good, the true, & the beautiful